Ronda Cross Tank CO Test cause of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very easy. About the same as the Analox Nitrox analyzer. They cost over $300, and the sensor needs to be replaced after a few years, but it's the only way to be sure. You can rent one for a week at Outdoor Equipment Rentals - see my sig.

DRIS has the EII CO analyzer for $352. As Don says, very easy to use.

Carbon Monoxide hit avoided by the Analox EIICO

Very easy. About the same as the Analox Nitrox analyzer. They cost over $300, and the sensor needs to be replaced after a few years, but it's the only way to be sure. You can rent one for a week at Outdoor Equipment Rentals - see my sig.

Posted to the Analox Sport Diving wall: "Did not dive with contaminated gas yesterday thanks to Analox. Don’t leave home without your EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyser!" The EIICO may have just saved this divers life! Posted by: Vie Panyarachun
EIICO save.jpg

Yeah, it can get boring checking tanks day after day of a trip if you get all zeroes, until you hit your first tainted tank. :eek: Then you may wonder if you did it right? :confused:

10 ppm is on the border for acceptable in the US, but some say our standards are not tight enough. Of the countries that have regulations, many are set at 3 to 5 ppm max, for good reason. Too, any Op that would deliver a 5 or 10 ppm tank could just as easily produce a 50 to 100 ppm tank among the lot - or worse.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

In post #79 in this thread, another mod made it perfectly clear that the A&I forum is not the place for a one-sided war between dive shops. The warning was that any more such posts would be deleted, and that is what has happened. It will happen again with any more such posts that appear.

MR Phd is adding a lot of value again. Thanks John

Hi, so are these CO checkers easy to use? also how much would one have to spend on the CO checker for personal use only?
Thankyou.

They are very easy to use. Turn it on by pushing the power button. Check the readout to make sure it reads 0. Blow into it to make sure it's working, should read 1 or 2. Then apply to tank valve and crack the valve open. Every 6 months do a bump test. They cost just over $300.

Sounds like something id like to get involved in.....
hmmm seems the post i replied to disappeared....

Colin, I am so sorry of your loss. It would seem that but for the grace of god my wife did not go the same way. We were in Bali and diving with a reputable dive company on a safari to the northern part of the island. Normally they provided their own gas by carrying it, however they needed 2 additional cylinders which they obtained from a LDS in the area (and one they had used before). On completion of a dive in the area my wife came up feeling very ill and vomiting. At the time we thought it was sea sickness and she was so ill she lay in the pier for some 20 min before recovering to some degree. Although I was not affected I did remember an oily taste to the air and advised the dive company. They were clearly horrified and vowed to advise the LDS of the issue and never use their air again. On reading of your loss, it has made me think, perhaps it wasn't just oily air, but perhaps contaminated as well.

On that basis I have decided to purchase a CO analyser and test every cylinder from now on. $300 is cheap compared to the risks.

You have had a terrible loss, however an outcome of this may well be the saving of other lives, sadly this does not dissolve your pain or loss, but perhaps in some way helps a little. Thank you for discussing this and potentially saving others.

On that basis I have decided to purchase a CO analyser and test every cylinder from now on. $300 is cheap compared to the risks.
:thumb: That's the only way to know for sure. Warning: It gets boring checking every tank when you get all zeroes, until one day you get a reading! :eek: It might take a hundred tanks before you get a bad one, but it might not. Some studies show 3% of tanks are CO tainted, and my experiences have been higher.

If that were true we would be hearing about way more incidents than we do.
Depends on how bad they need to be in order to be considered "tainted". Also it would not surprise me if the percentage of "tainted" tanks are way higher in some locations than in others...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom