“Stranded (Cayman) airline passengers take to the sea” – but there’s more to this story!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm the old-fashioned type, I even print boarding passes!

Boarding pass. Dang! I remember using those years ago. Do they still exist? Giving away your age Kathy...!

I know that Brac Scuba Shack also sent their boat over to LC and back that weekend carrying passengers from the broken Twin Otters, so kudos to both Martin and Stewart. Sounds like quite the adventure was had by all and I am glad it worked out. The dive gods must have been smiling upon everyone.

That's great to hear. I've always felt that the Cayman dive ops work well together and try to help each other out, especially in the Sister Islands where there are so few of them and where it is more difficult to get parts and assistance. I know that they come together to do reef clean-up projects and lionfish culls on LC and that they also do that on the other Cayman islands.

We were on the Sea Dreamer at LCBR for the first few days - and it is a gorgeous big boat and fairly new - about a year old I think, but it developed mechanical problems and they took it out of service - something about the rudder and a bearing - it sounded serious.

We were transferred to another boat and they were scrambling to rearrange the schedule. We were on Paradise Diver and Holiday Diver during the rest of the trip. I noticed that a new boat appeared at the LCBR dock one morning and I think(?) that Reef Divers was using it for some dive trips. It was the Sea-Esta belonging to Little Cayman Divers and I wondered if Reef Divers was renting it from LCDs while figuring out what to do about the Sea Dreamer?

The only exception to the "we're all members of the same team" philosophy that I have encountered in the Sister Islands has been in regards to the Aggressor. In the past we have heard a couple of RD divemasters making negative comments about the Aggressor, and we again heard similar comments from a DM during this trip.

I think it is because the Aggressor is limited to two-pin mooring sites, and those include some of the most popular sites on BBW like Mixing Bowl. The Aggressor doesn't have to head over to the south side of the island between dive trips like the day boats, it stays out on the wall all day and night, and so it can take first pick of the best sites for the conditions and stay there as long as they want.

We had a great trip on the Cayman Aggressor several years ago, but I can see where it might be annoying to always have to plan your dive sites around their choices.

I'm the old-fashioned type, I even print boarding passes!

Hi KathyV,

Thanks for creating this thread; your OP was well written--just right. We are travelling to LCBR next January with the Surge. I hope we don't suffer through a similar ordeal.

I have dealt with luggage issues on other trips and mechanical problems while a passenger on a Soviet bloc turboprop. It leaked fuel, and its starboard engine was difficult to start. The leaking jet fuel got sucked back into the AC, so we smelled like fuel all the way home to Sacramento. When your choices are swim or board the questionable AC, well, all of us climbed aboard. It was a short hop over water and a straight shot to the airport; I think that's how we rationalized the decision to board.

I am crossing my fingers for our upcoming trip. I don't enjoy diving rental gear (and paying for it) while my gear sits on a tarmac for a day or two exposed to everything. Especially when it arrives two days later completely soaked with salt water. I think it was deck cargo on a panga that made the crossing in choppy seas.

I am with you. I have paper back-ups for boarding passes and yes I do carry a few of my c-cards. For one thing, I think they are easier to use. Old school isn't bad school! I usually put the phone away after TSA and use the hard copies.

cheers,
markm

If your gear is stuck in transit, you will probably be loaned kit by Reef Divers rather than being charged for rentals. That has been my experience in the past.
I always take my mask, bathing suit and reg on carry on just in case.
I'm comfortable enough with fins, computer and BC from the dive op. Using a rental wetsuit, on the other hand, fills me with trepidation. I'd rather be cold for a day.

Using a rental wetsuit, on the other hand, fills me with trepidation.

Hey Doc,

You just ruined my lunch! I don't urinate in my own wetsuits, wearing someone else's pee stained suit doesn't work for me!

As you do, I take my reg, DC, and mask onboard as carry-on. I would rather wear the same board shorts and t-shirt to dinner for two days than dive a rental reg, DC, and mask. Of course, the board shorts and t-shirt get shampooed in the shower once a day.

:cheers:
mark

If your gear is stuck in transit, you will probably be loaned kit by Reef Divers rather than being charged for rentals. That has been my experience in the past.
I always take my mask, bathing suit and reg on carry on just in case.
I'm comfortable enough with fins, computer and BC from the dive op. Using a rental wetsuit, on the other hand, fills me with trepidation. I'd rather be cold for a day.

Hey Doc,

You just ruined my lunch! I don't urinate in my own wetsuits, wearing someone else's pee stained suit doesn't work for me!

As you do, I take my reg, DC, and mask onboard as carry-on. I would rather wear the same board shorts and t-shirt to dinner for two days than dive a rental reg, DC, and mask. Of course, the board shorts and t-shirt get shampooed in the shower once a day.

:cheers:
mark

Yes, Reef Divers will loan rental equipment at no charge if there are baggage delays but I would also prefer to use my own gear.

The bag with our clothes was delayed for a day during a previous trip to LC and the resort staff laundered our clothes at no charge during the interim - but you need to have something to change into while your stuff is in the laundry.

I love the renovations made to the resort, they really did a nice job and the new dining room, lobby, photo shop, and new outside areas all look great - but the old gift shop has disappeared - it's now the lobby. They have a frig for sodas and water in the lobby and a few shelves with some small souvenir items but that's all.

They do sell tee-shirts and jackets and a few other things at the dive shop, but no shorts or pants - and there really isn't any place to buy clothes on LC. You will have a few more options on Brac but not many.

The luggage delays happen fairly frequently on LC so I think they should offer a wider inventory and anticipate that some guests are going to want to buy a few basic clothes. There was a couple from Kansas at LCBR last week that had all their bags delayed for almost 3 days!

To be fair I don't know if the problem was with Cayman Airlines or with their domestic flights in the US but they were stuck wearing the shorts and tees that they were wearing during the flight. They did bring their masks and regulators on the Otter trip (they had their priorities in place!) but they were pretty miserable using rental gear and living and diving in the same clothes for that long!

Another thing that I miss is the old free library where you can "leave a book and take a book". I asked and they have incorporated that into the new National Trust center across from the tiny museum. That's a nice idea and it's not far from the resort but it is only open during limited hours and it may not be convenient to get there.

Hi KathyV,

Thanks for creating this thread; your OP was well written--just right. We are travelling to LCBR next January with the Surge. I hope we don't suffer through a similar ordeal.

I have dealt with luggage issues on other trips and mechanical problems while a passenger on a Soviet bloc turboprop. It leaked fuel, and its starboard engine was difficult to start. The leaking jet fuel got sucked back into the AC, so we smelled like fuel all the way home to Sacramento. When your choices are swim or board the questionable AC, well, all of us climbed aboard. It was a short hop over water and a straight shot to the airport; I think that's how we rationalized the decision to board.

I am crossing my fingers for our upcoming trip. I don't enjoy diving rental gear (and paying for it) while my gear sits on a tarmac for a day or two exposed to everything. Especially when it arrives two days later completely soaked with salt water. I think it was deck cargo on a panga that made the crossing in choppy seas.

I am with you. I have paper back-ups for boarding passes and yes I do carry a few of my c-cards. For one thing, I think they are easier to use. Old school isn't bad school! I usually put the phone away after TSA and use the hard copies.

cheers,
markm

Thanks, I have used our phone for boarding passes when we didn't have a printer available and it works fine, but I am still more comfortable with paper!

You've had some interesting travel experiences! Again to be fair, we've had a number of great trips on Cayman Air without any problems but the bad incidents tend to stick in your mind and I do think that they could do a better job, especially in regards to communication.

Hi Kathy,

Were your bags right at 55 lbs. and 15 lbs. (checked and carry on, respectively)?

As I read their website, it states that they will charge .50 cents per pound if you are over. Have you experienced that issue while travelling to LC from GC on the Otter?

Normally, I try to book resorts on islands that are served by major airlines to avoid the issues that you encountered.

I wonder why CA did not charter another AC to cover the outage of 50% of their fleet (rhetorical question; I know you can't answer that)?

I am prepared for a situation like you experienced when we go to LCBR, and will just take it in stride. Nothing we can do about it. Roll the dice--it is a crapshoot.

cheers,
m

They will definitely weigh your check-in bags. Anything over 55lbs is going to be charged. They never even looked at any of the carry-on bags of mine nor those of the other 14 pax on the Otter. Just ensure that it fits under your seat. There is no overhead space.

Back
Top Bottom