Trip Report Raja Ampat - 2 weeks Papua Explorers & Carpe Diem liveaboard Dec 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So much has been said already on Raja (wow @drrich2 report) so I’m not sure what else I can add, other than it 100% lives up to the hype and is possibly my favourite dive spot. 52 dives over 14 days, and I’ve already made plans to go back.

Is this my best/favourite dive trip? Yes! (but Komodo is a very close second, I would say Raja slightly > Komodo not massively)
Would I go back? Already made plans for next year!
Is it worth the cost? Yes!

Photos & videos:
Week 1 Papua Explorers: Raja Ampat - Papua Explorers (Dec 2022)
Week 2 Carpe Diem: Raja Ampat - Carpe Diem (Dec 2022)
Week 2 Video (from another guest):

I’ve been looking forward to Raja Ampat for a long time. I’ve been booked all the way since 2019 - was supposed to go in April 2020 but less than a week before my departure they’ve shut Sorong down to all foreigners. I was booked for a week at Papua Explorers, and a week on Carpe Diem so I can go south. Both operators are top notch - I would definitely go back to Papua Explorers, and would use Carpe Diem again if chartering but would go back to Mermaid (who I went w to Komodo) if I was going solo.

Cost wise, this was expensive but not excessively so. I felt it was worth it. We spent ~$10k total - I was there for 2 weeks, my husband for 1 (liveaboard only), as a friend was meant to join me for the first week at PapEx but ended up cancelling.

Getting there was actually pretty easy. Avoid Air Asia - they cancelled our flights about a month before (quite common it seems), so we paid up for Garuda. Garuda is so much easier, you get 30kg checked allowance, your bags go all the way through (no need to take out at Jakarta), and you don’t need to change terminals. You do clear immigration and get VOA in Jakarta but it’s quite efficient - much faster than Bali. Gate to gate probably took me ~1 hour. Free wifi at Jakarta was decent, a bit finicky to connect but good enough to watch Netflix once on. There’s decent food options at Jakarta - but no lounge.

All flights to Sorong leave around midnight and get you into Sorong ~6am, it’s a short 4 hour flight but there is a 2 hour time difference. My week at Papua Explorers was first and I was picked up right away, shuttled to Vega hotel for breakfast, and got a bit of sleep on some comfy couches. At noon we were picked up again to the pier and the speedboat to PapEx took ~1.5 hours. We arrived ~2pm- the welcome party was amazing. The entire staff most of whom are locals come together w traditional Papua headdress and sing a welcome song w guitars, dancing etc. Super fun and a great way to start the trip.

Papua Explorers is built on a pristine reef and walking from the dive center to the restaurant you can see a ton of coral and fish from the surface. At night the blacktip sharks come to feed, mostly babies and juveniles and you can see them directly from the restaurant or your bungalow. There’s a ton of schooling fish under the jetty. The closest feel I can think of is Tetamanu village in Fakarava, or maybe Bastianos in Bangka - but PapEx beats both. It’s my favourite dive resort so far. The room is huge and amazing. I loved the hammock on the balcony. The shower water is a bit salty and there is no AC, but it’s not that hot. I will 100% be back. This is one of the rare ones where I think my lukewarm-about-diving husband would really love also, because while diving was amazing everything else was also amazing.

There are NO MOSQUITOS OR BUGS AT ALL. Magical.

Their house reef is a goldmine - wobbegangs, walking sharks, blacktips, whitetips, all there. I did 3 mandarin dives and they found mandarin fish (mating!) within 5min each time. On my first night dive we also found blue ring octopus. The house reef is the only option for the 4th dive of the day but you will not get bored! I did every dive offered.

On arrival day you can really only squeeze in a check dive, and on departure day you normally don’t dive. So it’s 5 full days of diving for a 7 night stay, which is pretty decent to get a good feel of the place and dive the main sites of Dampier Strait. They offer day trips to the Passage (free), Fam (Melissa’s Garden + Pianyemo viewpoint), Bantata, Waigeo. I only had time to do the Passage day trip which was great. I think if only staying at the resort everyone should stay for at least 10 days.

Food was pretty great - good mix of Indo and Western food. On Saturday night they had a BBQ night with kids from the surrounding village coming to give a dance performance which was really fun. They also offer bird tours and village tours for those interested. I did the bird tour to try to catch the red bird of paradise but no luck. The hike itself was quite nice tho, felt like I was in an episode of LOST.

Diving was amazing. I loved the dives in the Dampier Strait - it was the most fishy place I’ve been by far. Some sites you had to dive more than once to see the magic - first time I dove Cape Kri it was good but I left wondering what the hype was about, second time it completely blew me away. You dive with the same guide the entire time and my guide Apri was awesome. Only 1 group of up to 4 per boat so very spacious, and lots of freedom on where you want to go. Breakfast at 7am, first dive at 8am, go out for a 2 tank dive in the mornings so back around 1pm, lunch, 3rd dive at 3pm, back for snacks at 4.30pm, mandarin dive at 5.45pm, or night dive at 6pm. Decently relaxed schedule, no 5am starts.

The camera room is right beside the dive deck. The dive deck is a good walk away from the restaurant, which is again a good walk from the bungalows. My only compliant is there are no bathrooms at the dive center so it was a long walk back to the restaurant area if nature called. But I was diving drysuit and I think most other guests did not have this problem. My other compliant is no bathroom on the boat, hence I could not dive drysuit for the morning 2 tanker, but I think that’s an unfair expectation given water is consistently 29-30 degrees.

There are a lot of jellyfish in the water when I was there. I got stung pretty badly in the tiny opening between my wetsuit and bootie. But they were also getting eaten by everything and it was so satisfying to watch. By the end of my second week there was barely any left.

Visibility was pretty bad but not horrible - the Central area was much better than the south. But even then there were some dives where you could only shoot macro because the vis was so bad. That was the case for >50% of dives in the south.

Some sites had no current some sites had big current. There were no standout dives in the easy/no current sites, but it was still very enjoyable. Not every dive in big current was great but all the great dives had big current. Papua Explorers eases you in - our first 2 days were really easy mild current dives.

I did 25 dives while at PapEx. There were no “throwaway” dives. I think it’s maybe 1/3 decent 1/3 great! 1/3 OMG AMAZING.
1672917700545.png

Favourites include Sawendarek, Cape Kri, Mioskon, Otdima, Blue Magic, Mayhem, Chicken Reef, Manta Sandy, and the house reef. Sawendarek consistently had the biggest sweetlip groups, Otdima was close. Cape Kri had the best schooling fish action - jacks, surgeonfish, barracudas, everything, seconded by Mayhem and Chicken Reef. Mioskon had the prettiest soft corals and was also a killer night dive. Blue Magic had big fish action but the current is strong and it’s hard to do much other than hook in and watch. Manta Sandy was good but it’s crowded (although they do limit it) and everyone has to stay behind a line and kneel in the sand, which is not my preferred way of diving. I liked Manta Alley in Komodo much better where you could swim into the channel and get super close. PapEx runs a conservation center that does a lot with manta ID and tracking which was good to see.

On Sunday I arranged for Carpe Diem to pick me up directly at Papua Explorers, so I could avoid having to take the speedboat back to Sorong then ferry to Waisai. It took maybe 45min and they came at 1.30pm so I had time to do 2 morning dives at PapEx. PapEx did not charge me extra and as my dive buddies had left I got total freedom on where I wanted to go - and repeated my favs Sawendarek and Cape Kri (which they accommodated even tho they are in opposite directions from the resort!) It was a great way to end the stay as the final Cape Kri dive delivered the best dive of the trip - I rarely take video but I could not resist, it is at the end of the album. The amount of fish schooling and hunting was just insane.

Carpe Diem is a small but beautiful wooden phinisi that only has room for 8 guests. It is a very intimate experience and great for charters. It’s co-owned by Brian who handles reservations and Cecile who is cruise director. Agus is the main dive guide and Fahry leads the other group. We dove with Agus who has one of the sharpest eyes for small stuff, on par with any guide in Lembeh. Cecile is French and runs a very smooth operation. Brian is the most responsive and helpful person I have ever liased with during trip planning. The entire staff is very friendly and professional. The food is the best I have had on a liveaboard in a long time - and we had a substitute chef. Our cabin which is the main Pala cabin on the main deck was huge and beautiful and had a sky light, plus separate rooms for shower and toilet.

It was my husband’s favourite liveaboard thus far, but I would personally hesitate to book with them again for a few reasons: 1) they don’t have nitrox, 2) dive plan and site selection is very conservative and caters for easy no current diving, 3) in comparing with some friends who’ve been on the Indo Siren and Blue Manta I’m not sure we got to the best sites especially in the Misool area.

We were on a 8 day trip covering central and south. The first day had a check dive and an awesome night dive, Sapokreng. The next 3 days concentrated on the Central area mainly repeating the same sites as what I did at Papua Explorers. This is where I noticed a big difference in how they permitted us to dive - at PapEx I was with one other American couple, but my guide Apri mostly let me do my own thing. Halfway through the trip they assigned a second guide to the couple (we still dove as a group) and I had Apri to myself - I think after they noticed the difference in air consumption, and my tendency to swim into the current to get close to the action. We were taken to sites with big current and I did not feel limited by my guide or group at all. At Carpe Diem because they only had 2 guides, and a single dive tender (which was very crowded when all 8 guests decided to dive along w 2 guides and sometimes Cecile) - site selection was limited by the entire group and everyone had to stay together. There was no staggered drop for the two groups, as is the case on most boats, so it was crowded w 10 divers in one big group. So while the boat felt more spacious with only 8 guests, the dives felt more crowded than the Mermaid with 16 guests. There is also an element of needing to cater to the least skilled / most air-hogging diver in the group, because you are not permitted to stay behind in buddy pairs. At some sites when we saw big stuff but it was in stronger current, we always turned back to mild/no current (and much less fishy) areas, and I got ding-ding-ding’ed until I followed. Their policy is no more than 60min on day dives and 45min on night dives - my first time seeing 45min only - and it’s actually strictly enforced, oftentimes the dive even called at 55min.

I feel the dive arrangements on the Mermaid was much better and would choose them for their 75min day / 60min night dives if I go back. For me diving is of top priority and everything else (boat, food) secondary. For my husband diving is secondary and the trip is first and foremost a vacation, so boat, food, overall experience counts for more. He did not enjoy the Mermaid nearly as much as Carpe Diem so it depends on what is important to you.

All that aside, it was a great relaxing week- maybe even the best boat for casual divers who only want to do 2-3 dives a day like my husband. I highly recommended them for beginner, casual divers but perhaps not for more serious divers. Maybe part of the conservatism is because of lack of nitrox too. I like to maximise every single minute in the water and have a lot of freedom, get closer to the action and go to the big current sites so it’s not the best fit. They’ve also never seen a drysuit before and on day 2 poked a hole through my neck seal by trying to force the hanger through the top (but they did say they’ll cover the cost of repair).

Our last day in the central area we had 2 great dives at Manta Sandy followed by an afternoon dive at Melissa’s Garden (amazing) followed by a short hike up to the Piaynemo viewpoint (so pretty!) before cruising south to Misool. I must have bad luck because once again the waves were pushing hard against us and we arrived late and lost a dive. We tried to make up for it but were “attacked by pirates” as my husband likes to tell it - some local villagers came on board and demanded 3m IDR for us to stay and dive, so they decided to move and thus we lost a dive. We ended up doing 26 dives out of the 27 planned - I was the only one that did all 26.

1672917987038.png

In the south every operator has to call Misool Eco Resort the day before and get an allocation on their desired dive sites for the next day because only one boat can be in the water at a time. We had total 3.5 days in the south - I have heard others say the south is their favourite area of Raja but I was not super impressed tbh. Visibility was properly horrible, it wasn’t nearly as fishy as the central area, nor was it sharkier. The soft corals were pretty but I was only amazed by them on two sites (Boo West and Tank Rock near the shallows - which we only ended up spending maybe 10-15min at). I was pretty unimpressed by Magic Mountain / Shadow Reef which is often listed as a top site - there was a school of jacks and maybe one or two blacktips but that was about it. We had no luck with oceanic mantas but I feel that alone should not make or break a site.

Macro in the south was great - but often the only thing to see? A lot of the sites were walls where I didn’t see much. Agus managed to find some great critters (multiple pygmy squid, skeleton shrimp, pygmy seahorse, baby crabs, lobsters, shrimps, nudis on crawling on the face of scorpionfish etc) but macro with tons of up/down current is hard and I’m a bit surprised at how ordinary the reefs looked. Tubbataha was pretty. Komodo was very pretty. Melissa’s Garden was very very pretty. Misool wasn’t that pretty in comparison. What am I missing?

On our return we flew Batik as Garuda only had a 8.30am flight which would mean missing the last 2 dives the day before, and a 2h tight connection in Jakarta which we missed. Batik left and landed on time but luggage took 1h(!) to come out. We paid for a taxi from T2 to T3 and the driver definitely ripped us off - I think normal price is probably 150k, we agreed to 300k, at the end he tried to scam us even more by saying it’s 300k x2 which we flat out refused. Got to T3 45min before the flight and missed the 1h cutoff for baggage drop, so was put on the next flight 5 hours later. We were only flying to Singapore so it was a gamble that we knowingly took, but next time I will skip the T2 > T3 hassle and just fly Garuda.

This year I have dove a lot of places (230 dives!) and Raja was a fitting end to top off the year. Very happy overall and will be back in April for the Raja - Banda - Alor - Maumere crossing on Blue Manta. Hoping for better luck with visibility next time but otherwise my wish list is almost empty!

Great report, and awesome video from the other guest. Glad you had a good experience

Your photos were really good. I would kind of rate them like you rated your dives at Papex : 1/3 decent (not in a bad way 😀 ) . 1/3 Great! and 1/3rd OMG AMAZING!!! You got good angles on a bunch of fairly skittish creatures. Thank you for sharing

Excellent info. Some wonderful photos! There's quite a bit worth following up on.

Glad to see a detailed description of a land-based option. It's my understanding Raja Ampat liveaboards tend toward 4 dives/day at most, so the dive count difference between liveaboard and landbased may not be as high as in some places. Papua Explorers sounds very impressive; I appreciate you reporting the no A.C. bit, though you indicated it wasn't too hot, since that's good info. some will want to know. You indicated no mosquitos; wonder if that's the typical experience, seasonally related or a fluke? Since you got to check your bags through I take it you boarded Jakarta in Singapore, so you didn't need to fly in internationally, spend a night at a hotel, fly domestic to Sorong, and so on. I was trying to figure out how 2 people got such a trip for 10 grand, then realized you were out of Singapore, not the U.S.

I see from their website that Papua Explorers also has a liveaboard option, the Coralia; did anyone happen to comment on how a trip on that compares to their land-based option? For the liveaboard portion of your trip, you chose the Carpe Diem; why not the Coralia?

From what I was told, which areas in Raja Ampat have better and worse visibility is seasonal.

Is this my best/favourite dive trip? Yes! (but Komodo is a very close second, I would say Raja slightly > Komodo not massively)
I've been to RA once, not Komodo, and the latter is known for vigorous current diving. In RA, our guides tended to look for 'the split' in the current, diving near an islet or similar. We mainly didn't drift dive; guides tried to take us places they had in mind to, ideally not fighting current but not drift diving, either. Is that what you experienced in RA diving? And my main question is how the diving in Komodo compared in terms of style? I'm not so much asking about reef and fish (which would also be interesting), but did the guide's strategy differ from RA diving? Was Komodo diving much harder, especially for people not good at fighting current?

It was my husband’s favourite liveaboard thus far, but I would personally hesitate to book with them again for a few reasons: 1) they don’t have nitrox, 2) dive plan and site selection is very conservative and caters for easy no current diving, 3) in comparing with some friends who’ve been on the Indo Siren and Blue Manta I’m not sure we got to the best sites especially in the Misool area.
Glad to see you address different perspectives on what's desirable and preferable, since different kinds of people use these threads for research.

1.) I usually dive nitrox when I can, and in isolated locales without reliably nearby chamber availability it can be wise, but were your dives limited by diving air? Did you have to watch out for NDLs on the 4th dive of a day, etc...? Wonder if that's why they limited dive times as you explained?

2.) On a boat with 8 guests, I imagine they can't divvy up the groups well. Unless an organized group of 'strong divers' charter the boat, or you just get lucky, that could be a problem for strong swimmers wanting to get in current.
We were on a 8 day trip covering central and south.

There was no staggered drop for the two groups, as is the case on most boats, so it was crowded w 10 divers in one big group.
2 Guides and 8 guests. If your RA diving had as much guide focus on finding macro subjects as mine did, I can see where 8 guests taking turns to see the same tiny thing, and maybe fiddling with camera settings, when there's some current, could get to be a bit much, especially if dive times are limited as you described.
I feel the dive arrangements on the Mermaid was much better and would choose them for their 75min day / 60min night dives if I go back. For me diving is of top priority and everything else (boat, food) secondary. For my husband diving is secondary and the trip is first and foremost a vacation, so boat, food, overall experience counts for more. He did not enjoy the Mermaid nearly as much as Carpe Diem so it depends on what is important to you.
IIRC, every review I've read of one of the 2 Mermaid liveaboards has been golden praise, so I take it they're a tough competitor to be contrasted to. No surprise you favored the Mermaid (I or II?), but quite surprised your husband much preferred the Carpe Diem. What did he prefer about the latter?

Is there much price difference between the two?

In the south every operator has to call Misool Eco Resort the day before and get an allocation on their desired dive sites for the next day because only one boat can be in the water at a time.
Thanks for mentioning this; I think I forgot in my trip report. In the south, liveaboard operators are at the mercy of the sites they're assigned, they don't get to just cherry pick whatever they want.

On behalf of limited-mobility divers and others who may be selectively impacted by the re-boarding experience (e.g.: whether a ladder bottom shifts partly under the boat so you exit at an angle), some questions about the land-based vs. liveaboard experience:

1.) It's my understanding in RA dive groups depart the main boat on dinghies (i.e.: pangas, RIBs), which is what we did from the Indo-Siren, with short boat rides so even if uncovered and in direct tropical sun (it was overcast or cloudy most of our dives). I assume that was the case with the Carpe Diem?

2.) On our trip, staff moved gear and tanks to/from the dinghy before/after every dive (2 dinghies serving 4 groups). Was that done with the Carpe Diem?

3.) Where the land-based Papua Explorer dive boat trips significantly longer than liveaboard dinghy rides? Was back-rolling in, or the process of getting out, any different? Did they have you take out weights, hand up those and staff pull in BCDs, etc..., so did you climb the ladder in full gear (maybe minus fins) 'Caribbean-style?'

Very happy overall and will be back in April for the Raja - Banda - Alor - Maumere crossing on Blue Manta.
The Blue Manta gets strongly positive reviews; you had a prior fine experience with a Mermaid boat. Why choose Blue Manta this time? Was that who ran the itinerary you wanted?

Richard.

P.S.: I know it's a lot of questions. I approach these things with the mindset 'If I were planning a possible trip there and using this thread for research, what else would I want to know?' Glad you guys had a great trip.

Love reading all your trip reports! I'm just curious from a practical standpoint how you have been able to dive so many places last year (and going back to Indo in April)? Do you just have unlimited vacation time? How do you balance a job and 230 dives in a year?

Thank you for posting this wonderful trip report! I am finally booked into my first Raja Ampat trip in December - the Damai II followed by Papua Explorers - so of course jumped into reading your report with great interest. Appreciate your sharing so many helpful and interesting details, and your photos are beautiful. I'm now tempted to see about extending my Papua Explorers stay to 10 nights....
Look forward to hearing about your next trip on the Blue Manta.

No worries at all, this site was my go to for trip research as well.
You indicated no mosquitos; wonder if that's the typical experience, seasonally related or a fluke? Since you got to check your bags through I take it you boarded Jakarta in Singapore, so you didn't need to fly in internationally, spend a night at a hotel, fly domestic to Sorong, and so on. I was trying to figure out how 2 people got such a trip for 10 grand, then realized you were out of Singapore, not the U.S.
Yup they just don't have mosquitos. I don't know why. I got eaten alive at every other land resort in SE Asia. If you want I can pull together a cost comparison for all the places this year
I see from their website that Papua Explorers also has a liveaboard option, the Coralia; did anyone happen to comment on how a trip on that compares to their land-based option? For the liveaboard portion of your trip, you chose the Carpe Diem; why not the Coralia?
My friend is going on Coralia next March, sadly I will not have the funds or vacation time to join her again - but I have only heard good things about it. They dive different sites, go as far north as Wayag and of course south to Misool. It is managed by the same guy Apo so I would expect good things
From what I was told, which areas in Raja Ampat have better and worse visibility is seasonal.
Carpe Diem said there's not a best month for viz - it's just luck. When viz is good in the central area it is bad in the south, and vice versa. They said we definitely had worst viz than usual, hence half the dives in the south were spent looking for macro.
I've been to RA once, not Komodo, and the latter is known for vigorous current diving. In RA, our guides tended to look for 'the split' in the current, diving near an islet or similar. We mainly didn't drift dive; guides tried to take us places they had in mind to, ideally not fighting current but not drift diving, either. Is that what you experienced in RA diving? And my main question is how the diving in Komodo compared in terms of style? I'm not so much asking about reef and fish (which would also be interesting), but did the guide's strategy differ from RA diving? Was Komodo diving much harder, especially for people not good at fighting current?
Komodo diving with Mermaid was easier. I'm not sure if that was luck or cruise director Celso's experience or our dive guide's style (we did not see the other 3 groups for most of the dives). I think how the operator wants to dive will make a big difference.
Komodo most of the dives with big current were hook, watch for a while, and drift. Current was strong but mostly one directional. I don't recall much up or down current.
Raja current kept changing! Up, down, up, down, especially in the south. There are some where it's almost no current then you turn a corner and suddenly it's VROOOM big current and you fly past the corner, then it's no current again. I needed to pay more attention in Raja (partly cuz of bad viz too).
Raja had more negative entries required - with a lot of hard swims to get to the right spot at the beginning.
Komodo macro sites (a lot of muck) did not have current IRC - Raja (mostly walls) did have current and it's constantly changing.
Both are probably equally hard for a beginner - Raja is not easier than Komodo.
1.) I usually dive nitrox when I can, and in isolated locales without reliably nearby chamber availability it can be wise, but were your dives limited by diving air? Did you have to watch out for NDLs on the 4th dive of a day, etc...? Wonder if that's why they limited dive times as you explained?
Yes that was the reason given for 45min night dives. I did not come close to NDL with Carpe Diem, the conservatism is baked into the dive plan. But when I was at PapEx the American couple I was diving with was on air and one of them deco'ed once or twice.
2 Guides and 8 guests. If your RA diving had as much guide focus on finding macro subjects as mine did, I can see where 8 guests taking turns to see the same tiny thing, and maybe fiddling with camera settings, when there's some current, could get to be a bit much, especially if dive times are limited as you described.
Yup there was a fair amount of waiting around for your turn. 4 of the guests were one family so there was only one way to split up the groups.
IIRC, every review I've read of one of the 2 Mermaid liveaboards has been golden praise, so I take it they're a tough competitor to be contrasted to. No surprise you favored the Mermaid (I or II?), but quite surprised your husband much preferred the Carpe Diem. What did he prefer about the latter?

Is there much price difference between the two?
Carpe Diem is more intimate experience - he liked the smaller boat, the more casual mindset (he did not feel out of place for choosing to skip certain dives and just chill), and most importantly the food. Mermaid food ranged from just ok to pretty good, nothing amazing. Carpe Diem food was mostly really good, some amazing, and only a few misses of just ok.
Carpe Diem is cheaper. If you book early you get 10% off, if you book 2 trips that's 20%. They also changed the schedule for me (I was the only one booked at the time) to start a day earlier so I can make the PapEx transfer work easier.
1.) It's my understanding in RA dive groups depart the main boat on dinghies (i.e.: pangas, RIBs), which is what we did from the Indo-Siren, with short boat rides so even if uncovered and in direct tropical sun (it was overcast or cloudy most of our dives). I assume that was the case with the Carpe Diem?
Yup same. But the dinghies were different - it was a single larger fibreglass(?) boat vs the typical 2 inflatables. It was a bit cramped.
2.) On our trip, staff moved gear and tanks to/from the dinghy before/after every dive (2 dinghies serving 4 groups). Was that done with the Carpe Diem?
Yup don't need to lift a finger for gear or camera.
3.) Where the land-based Papua Explorer dive boat trips significantly longer than liveaboard dinghy rides? Was back-rolling in, or the process of getting out, any different? Did they have you take out weights, hand up those and staff pull in BCDs, etc..., so did you climb the ladder in full gear (maybe minus fins) 'Caribbean-style?'
PapEx boat rides were 5-30min on a good day, but can be as long as 45min or 1hour if the waves are strong and pushing against you. Liveaboard was 5min usually, maybe 10 if the current was read wrongly and we had to change entry point.
Backroll in yup
Getting out was the same for both - take off BC, crew hauls up tank, take off fins and give to crew, climb in. I only use 2kg at most and it's in trim weight pockets attached to the tank strap so don't hand up separately.
The Blue Manta gets strongly positive reviews; you had a prior fine experience with a Mermaid boat. Why choose Blue Manta this time? Was that who ran the itinerary you wanted?
Short answer is I'm still using up pre-covid cancelled trip credit :)
We chose Carpe Diem because the Pala cabin looked amazing, we called it the honeymoon suite. We were originally booked on their Komodo itinerary (their special "dive and yoga" trip) with 2 other friends - so small size of 8 guests was appealing since we were half. The design of the Carpe Diem is great for family trips or groups of friends - everyone eats together at the al fresco dining area, it's a very social experience.
Mermaid we added cuz I had a different friend that did their Bali-Komodo trip years ago and said it was amazing, plus they had 20 or 25% off sale during covid, and we figured Bali would be the first to reopen so this was a safer bet than any of the other liveaboards that departed from LBJ.
And finally we were booked on White Manta for Banda Sea + Derawan (they were the only ones running Derawan). Then the husband told me he doesn't want to dive unless there is something new to see so we cancelled his booking and I used his credits to rebook to a longer trip on Blue Manta.

Love reading all your trip reports! I'm just curious from a practical standpoint how you have been able to dive so many places last year (and going back to Indo in April)? Do you just have unlimited vacation time? How do you balance a job and 230 dives in a year?
I had 35 vacation days from rolling over my max allowance during covid... then scheduled every trip around a public holiday to maximise. Being based in Singapore means I could fly after work (tons of flight options, all 2-4 hours only), so I would not lose any days to travel (I would work from the resort for my decompression day then fly back after work hours). Plus no kids.

I am curious for folks who have stayed at Misool Eco Resort - do you get first pick every time for dive site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom