Ron Lee's Personal Rules for Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a female, I think it is sweet that somebody else besides my husband has got my back. Although well meaning, it is not terribly realistic when experience has taught me that female divers along with myself usually end our dives with far more air in our tanks than our male counterparts-just sayn'..........

images

Perhaps you heard about the "Rules" book that two young girls had hand written. It was lost at a Walmart and finally returned to them. From the ones I saw...basic good rules for a decent society. I am going to include a few of my diving rules.

1) Always monitor/watch over women divers.

2) Always monitor/watch over young divers.

3) Always monitor/watch over new/inexperienced divers.

4) Periodically count all divers in the group.

5) If I see a solitary diver on the surface, go check on them. Ending a dive is less important than ensuring their safety.
I haven't got to #2 or #3 yet I can't stop laughing every time I read #1.

Last edited:
Very nice thoughts and i always like gentlemen but why do you think women are more vulnerable? Any empirical data to support this? Why wouldn't you just plan to be equally vigilant for both sexes?
Yeah. If I said that to my wife, she'd hit me. :D

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 09:54 AM ----------

Go ahead and watch over poor little helpless me...................but could you polish my Harley afterwards? But you gotta wear your mankini, black knee high socks and sandals!! :poke:
Interesting. I've never heard a woman call it her "Harley" before.

Slap me now.

I personally would be in a difficult situation, if someone in a dive group appeared to be in some kind of trouble, but helping them meant leaving my own buddy.

Why wouldn't your buddy go with you? Sounds like a problem if the buddy system only goes one way.

Where I normally dive, if someone appeared to be in some kind of trouble, I'd probably just hang out and watch, unless invited, because most divers like to sort out their own issues. I would be more apt to lend a hand in a situation where there are a lot of new or part time, vacation, divers because their issue may use all of their bandwidth and may never ask for help or think of surfacing before the problem overwhelms them. I'd rather assist than rescue. As for my buddy, he may spot it first, and we still both go.

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

There are circumstances (although not on the typical Coz dive) where the buddy cannot or should not go with you . . . the case I'm thinking of is one where two divers had incurred substantial (planned) decompression obligations, and ran into a recreational diver in significant distress. One decided to take the DCS risk to surface the recreational diver. The recreational diver made it out of the water, and collapsed and died on land. The buddy who remained to do his decompression also died, cause unknown. I think it may be the most horrible story I've ever read, perhaps second only to the one where the diver was trying to rescue his buddy who was being eaten by the shark.

Where did that happen? I'm curious about the details.

The shark incident - was that Gilliam?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom