Ron Lee's Personal Rules for Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may have been Gilliam. It was some well-known diver, and occurred on a deep wall somewhere in the Caribbean, around 250 feet or so, if I remember right.

I can't recall at all where I read the other story. I went looking for it a while back and couldn't find it. It occurred in a quarry in Northern California, about the same time as the two young men from Reno died off the boat in Monterey. It was a very bad month in California.

There are circumstances (although not on the typical Coz dive) where the buddy cannot or should not go with you . . . the case I'm thinking of is one where two divers had incurred substantial (planned) decompression obligations, and ran into a recreational diver in significant distress. One decided to take the DCS risk to surface the recreational diver. The recreational diver made it out of the water, and collapsed and died on land. The buddy who remained to do his decompression also died, cause unknown. I think it may be the most horrible story I've ever read, perhaps second only to the one where the diver was trying to rescue his buddy who was being eaten by the shark.

Here's the link to the California incident. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...3-two-fatalities-harvard-mine-california.html

I grew up in the South.
Southern Saudi Arabia?

I think you need to get rid of #1. It's hard to read the rest of them when your eyes are watering.

Very nice thoughts and i always like gentlemen but why do you think women are more vulnerable? Any empirical data to support this? Why wouldn't you just plan to be equally vigilant for both sexes?

I will ask you why you assume that I meant that women are more vulnerable as divers? If that comment is based upon a sexist/feminist/liberal mindset, then I will assert that my upbringing and philosophy is far better for women than yours.

I also never stated that I would leave a buddy. Let it suffice that it is not an issue and if it were, would be handled appropriately.

I will also assert that had one or two guys with my same attitude towards women (which is at its core...respectful and protective), then the woman who was lost last March on a cruise ship dive would probably be alive today. By the same token, the woman who was lost last Monday would almost surely be alive.

Now if this is "stepping in it" that is not how I see it.

The comment about divers becoming self-reliant is correct. You will see that espoused by me in another post here. Reality is that it may never happen so if more experienced divers take a little bit of time and monitor those with less experience, we should reduce fatalities on Cozumel.

Take the "statistics" that the last two fatalities that I know of were female however you wish.

I will also assert that had one or two guys with my same attitude towards women (which is at its core...respectful and protective), then the woman who was lost last March on a cruise ship dive would probably be alive today. By the same token, the woman who was lost last Monday would almost surely be alive.
To quote Perry Mason as close as I can remember, "That assumes facts not in evidence." Just because a woman and a man (or two) go diving together and something happens to the woman, it does not follow that negligence on the man's (or men's) part contributed to it.

Last edited:
Wow, you are into it...!!

Take the "statistics" that the last two fatalities that I know of were female however you wish.
I'd say your digging a deeper hole, was fake facts.

Sweet sentiments, but I must say that after 5000 plus dives, of all the divers u have worked with, 3 of the 5 divers I want covering my back are women. Best on air. Best on bouyancy. Best at search and rescue. Go ahead and keep an eye on these women, because you may need their help.

I grew up in the South.

This may be an acceptable explanation for your crazy rules if it was 1960.

There are many,many women out there that because of their superior rescue skills,buoyancy,and air consumption are more than capable of one day saving or assisting you. Don't burn anymore bridges..... or crosses.

I will ask you why you assume that I meant that women are more vulnerable as divers? If that comment is based upon a sexist/feminist/liberal mindset, then I will assert that my upbringing and philosophy is far better for women than yours.

I also never stated that I would leave a buddy. Let it suffice that it is not an issue and if it were, would be handled appropriately.

The comment about divers becoming self-reliant is correct. You will see that espoused by me in another post here. Reality is that it may never happen so if more experienced divers take a little bit of time and monitor those with less experience, we should reduce fatalities on Cozumel.

OK...chauvinstic/condescending... and arrogant.

There are circumstances (although not on the typical Coz dive) where the buddy cannot or should not go with you . . . the case I'm thinking of is one where two divers had incurred substantial (planned) decompression obligations, and ran into a recreational diver in significant distress. One decided to take the DCS risk to surface the recreational diver. The recreational diver made it out of the water, and collapsed and died on land. The buddy who remained to do his decompression also died, cause unknown. I think it may be the most horrible story I've ever read, perhaps second only to the one where the diver was trying to rescue his buddy who was being eaten by the shark.

Point taken, I don't do a lot of deco anymore and definatly no substantial deco so your senareo eluded me. Under those circumstances, no command decision made will be without grave concequences. I would not like to have to make the call, glad I never had to.

Bob
--------------------------
The future is uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison

Back
Top Bottom