Roller Bag With Backpack Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driebel

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm looking for a suggestion for a good heavy duty roller bag, which also has backpack straps. I have a decent roller bg right now, but it';s no good when you get to that last 20m of sand you need to cross to get to the boat.

For a long time, I had my eye on the Stahlsac caicos HD bag, but I learned today that they have removed the backpack straps from that bag. The bag is still described that way (even on the company website!) but I assure you, there are no straps on any new Stahlsac caicos bags.

So what are people's thoughts on a good alternative? The Caicos is what I'm looking to emulate. Ideally, I want something *tough*, about that size, with wheels and the ability to be a backpack.

Have you looked at Osprey? They seem to have a lot of options, but not sure what size you want.

Hmm, I haven't. I currently have an Aqualung 850. I'm happy with the size (~6,000 in^3), but it's not very durable, and as I mentioned, is a nightmare to carry across a lengthy beach.

Rei or similar type store might give you some different options as well. Not scuba branded. Worse, outdoors branded!

I'm in the market too and have been considering this Akona Roller Bag. Good reviews, they have a video you can check out. A little on the bigger side, but I like that it comes with a removable reg bag. I would probably carry on my reg set rather than check it.

What do you think? I ruled out any non marine/scuba bag as I doubt the zippers would hold up.
Roller Backpack - AKB144

The one that I have been looking at and considering is the Mares Cruise Backpack Pro. I'm not sure if they come with corrosion resistant zippers and I wish their warranty were lifetime for the zippers/stitching rather than just the standard 2 years. I like the durability of the tarpulin on the Stahlsac HD Caicos (I have other bags in this material) but my gripe with this particular bag is that there are no exterior compression straps in the event that you don't fill the bag entirely full. I also wish they didn't use the yellow contrast stitching.

. I also wish they didn't use the yellow contrast stitching

Gotta follow the second rule of scuba! :wink:

Good ideas, all. Thanks! Outofofficebrb, you've got a good point with those external compression straps on the Mares, they are a good feature.

However, I had to stick with my first love. I made a phone call on Friday to a slightly remote dive shop, and they had an old-school Stahlsac Caicos HD with backpack straps in stock. I don't mind the yellow stitching ;-)

Olphart, I'm not familiar with the second rule of scuba diving. Something about how everything must be in black?

If anyone is looking for Stahlsac on sale in the SF Bay Area, Marin Dive Center in San Rafael has these on sale. I hope this helps someone!

No idea if you're able to get your Hands on these in the US, but Ortlieb makes some great Bags. Extremely high Quality, 100% Waterproof. The Duffle RS or RG might fit your needs. The only downside is the somewhat high price.

I just bought a Duffle RS 110 yesterday. :)

Back
Top Bottom