Roller backpack with handle recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL!!

This can go on forever and EVER!!!

Suffice to say there are 2 kidda needs here, the family, cram all you can into the nearly exploding bag and the light as you can, collapsible yet has all you need for a weeks' live-onboard.
The Laguna fits into the former perfectly but it doesn't cost much to make the latter kind of bag.

Minimal padding inside, strong light weight and rip proof 1200 x 1800-denier Duralite on the outside, an Al frame for the telescoping handle, the oversized skate wheels and some kind of keeper backpack straps. Some long pockets for long fins, a seperate dry compartment for clothes and viola. Man you don't even need for it to stand up and best thing of all, the basic design is already out there.... a hiking backpack, just add wheels.

Protection for what? I carry my regs, mask, wing, computer and other indespensibles in my carry on. The bag is for the heavy stuff like clothes, fins, backplate, etc. Besides, if you pack your gear well into a soft bag your clothes would cushion any impact.

I don't mean to be presumptions here but TripleL has a great manufacturing facility with really resonable labour, a bit of R&D would go a long way.

SangP

SangP:
there are 2 kidda needs here, the family, cram all you can into the nearly exploding bag and the light as you can, collapsible yet has all you need for a weeks' live-onboard.
:D

Do I detect a hint of... well... "cram all you can into the nearly exploding bag"? Tell us how you really feel about family travel!

Hey, if they made the Laguna like you want, it... it... it wouldn't be a Laguna any more. And then I wouldn't be buying it. Maybe.

What you mean to say is, wouldn't it be nice if Triple-L, with their reputation for a great quality-to-price ratio, were to make a different bag that met your specifications?

Why, yes, I suppose it would be nice.

There is a gap in their product line; into which a smaller, softer bag with wheels and backpack straps would fit.

Oh... I just measured my Laguna. Depth-wise, the main compartment is 10" deep on the outside. The handle assembly adds 1-1/2" on the back, and the "saddle bags" add about 3-1/2" on the front... so total depth is about 15", depending on how much you squash it... or cram it... :eyebrow:

--Marek

Marek K:
:D

Do I detect a hint of... well... "cram all you can into the nearly exploding bag"? Tell us how you really feel about family travel!

Hey, if they made the Laguna like you want, it... it... it wouldn't be a Laguna any more. And then I wouldn't be buying it. Maybe.

What you mean to say is, wouldn't it be nice if Triple-L, with their reputation for a great quality-to-price ratio, were to make a different bag that met your specifications?

There is a gap in their product line; into which a smaller, softer bag with wheels and backpack straps would fit.

Oh... I just measured my Laguna. Depth-wise, the main compartment is 10" deep on the outside. The handle assembly adds 1-1/2" on the back, and the "saddle bags" add about 3-1/2" on the front... so total depth is about 15", depending on how much you squash it... or cram it... :eyebrow:

--Marek

They do have a gap. They need to include wheels on the Titan. That would be a great bag.

PugetDiver:
could you clarify if the Laguna truly has shoulder straps. It seems that the straps may have been a new addition to this bag. Is this true?

I was prompted to take anotehr look at the ScubaL website as a result of mstevens's post about the Malibu.

They've updated the Laguna page considerably and the bag some.

On the good side, the page now has much better photos: though they could still stand to clarify the dimensions and weight with and without the large detachable pockets, it's now vividly clear that the bag does not have shoulder straps, and the size and use of the detachable bag is made clear through multiple pictures.

On the downside, it's been extensively decorated with what many have referred to as "steal me" indicators.

Marek K:

Seconded.

lairdb:
they could still stand to clarify the dimensions and weight with and without the large detachable pockets, it's now vividly clear that the bag does not have shoulder straps, and the size and use of the detachable bag is made clear through multiple pictures.

On the downside, it's been extensively decorated with what many have referred to as "steal me" indicators.
Oh, my. "Steal me," indeed. Why did they do that??

Other than the aggressive logo-ing, it's obviously the identical bag.

We had our (old style) Laguna bag in Egypt with us in July. Worked really well. Packed two full sets of equipment into it (thin wetsuits; 1mm and 3/2mm... but two sets of fins, booties, bulky BC's, accessories, etc.). Took masks and regs in carry-on; but there was room to spare in the Laguna (for souvenirs coming back!). Didn't even take the "saddle bags"... I didn't quite trust how solidly they were attached, for airline use.

Which meant we had a plain black bag, with no logos at all. :D

Worked very well. One round-trip charter airline flight, no wear or damage. Very comfortable to roll and to stand upright. But it is big.

Dimensions? What it says on the web site seems about right... the sides are stiff, but it's a flexible bag.

Weight? Heavy. Over 5 kg empty, if I remember right. It's packed with dive gear right now, but I can unpack and weight it if you need me to.

Hmmm... I see it's still not available. I had ordered a second Laguna in late May, but cancelled when they ran out of stock. Must have been re-tooling for the "steal me" graphics, and still not be sorted.

I got a TUSA bag from Larry, instead. Very happy with that, too.

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom