Roller backpack with handle recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb:
Okay, I answered my own question -- sortof. The triple-l.biz and store.triple-l.biz sites say it's 10" deep, and don't mention backpack mode. The reviews they link to also don't mention backpack straps; in fact, one cites the lack of backpack straps as a shortcoming. However...

The new www.scubal.com site quotes 12" deep, and does mention backpack mode.

Looks like the bag has been revised to include backpack straps.

Questions:
  • Does anyone have a new, with-backpack-straps Laguna bag? Thoughts?
  • What is the weight? The review I linked above says "it weights [sic] around 6.7kg", and they're clearly reviewing the pre-backpack design. Google Calculator tells me 6.7kg is 14.8lbs, which in my book is pretty heavy for a bag. Is anyone able to weigh a new (with backpack mode) Laguna?

I've had the Laguna for about a year. Mine does NOT have backback straps

divegeek:
I've had the Laguna for about a year. Mine does NOT have backback straps

Charlie, is it convenient for you to weigh your (pre-backpack-straps) Laguna? If it really weighs 14.8 pounds, it must be made of CorduraLead....

lairdb:
Charlie, is it convenient for you to weigh your (pre-backpack-straps) Laguna? If it really weighs 14.8 pounds, it must be made of CorduraLead....

(Really, I'm not just pimping my post count.)

I got a note this evening (in response to my question of this morning) from a ScubaL rep: "Thank you for your inquiry, the actual weight of empty Laguna Bag: 13.062 lbs Please let me know if you have other questions."

I have asked for a guess at how much of that is the detachable portion.

lairdb:
(Really, I'm not just pimping my post count.)

(I was even going to edit my last post to add this info, but I missed the edit lockout.)

I e-chatted with "Sales Support" this evening (funny name for somebody to give their kid.) Sales Support told me that the detachable part is maybe 2 pounds of the total weight, putting the main bag at 10.5 to 11.5 pounds. That's actually pretty good in my book for a rollybag with rigid extensible handle.

Sales Support also let me know that the Laguna is currently out of stock in the U.S., but expected to be back in stock in about 20 days.

Hi,

I'm getting no response from sales support at ScubaL and it's been 4 days! All I'm asking is why the hell the shipping cost so much, if they can give me an answer I just might get a Laguna bag but they are loosing my business if they are so slow.

SangP

SangP:
Hi,

I'm getting no response from sales support at ScubaL and it's been 4 days! All I'm asking is why the hell the shipping cost so much, if they can give me an answer I just might get a Laguna bag but they are loosing my business if they are so slow.

SangP

Which site are you trying to contact them through? Are you going through www.ScubaL.com ? LairdB seems to have no problem getting ahold of them.

Hi PugetDiver

I sent 3 mails to
sales@scubal.com
Got a reply from Bryan on the 16/05 sent another mail the same day, another on the 22/05 and no replies to my query about the shipping costs. Sent a pm to Jack Cummins and I'm waiting for his reply.

SangP

I got a Laguna bag a couple months ago, off of Triple-L's old website. Very nice, roomy, sturdy bag; but definitely no shoulder straps.​

The description that lairdb and PugetDiver cite is a bit confusing to me... under Description, it says that "[t]wo removable 'saddle-bags' can transformed into a back pack bag for exceptional mobility." Those are the two regulator case-type pockets on the front of the large bag; they attach to the main bag with velcro and buckled straps, and when removed they can be be folded back on one another (hence "saddle bags"), and velcroed together. There's a carrying handle between the two pockets. They become in effect a fat carry-on regulator bag with two zippered compartments (and some other pockets), easily big enough for two regulators rigs and masks. But again, no backpack straps -- either on the main bag or on the removable "saddle bags."

But then, sure enough, under Features it says that "[n]icely contoured shoulder straps and the easily adjustable waistband can be stowed into the padded backpack."

I've just double-checked, but definitely no shoulder straps or waistband. But I do have another Laguna on order right now, off the new website; exact same price as the old one. It's on back-order until the end of May -- maybe they have changed the design, and the new ones are on their way down the pipeline. We'll see.

--Marek

Marek K:
I got a Laguna bag a couple months ago, off of Triple-L's old website. Very nice, roomy, sturdy bag; but definitely no shoulder straps.​

The description that lairdb and PugetDiver cite is a bit confusing to me... under Description, it says that "[t]wo removable 'saddle-bags' can transformed into a back pack bag for exceptional mobility." Those are the two regulator case-type pockets on the front of the large bag; they attach to the main bag with velcro and buckled straps, and when removed they can be be folded back on one another (hence "saddle bags"), and velcroed together. There's a carrying handle between the two pockets. They become in effect a fat carry-on regulator bag with two zippered compartments (and some other pockets), easily big enough for two regulators rigs and masks. But again, no backpack straps -- either on the main bag or on the removable "saddle bags."

But then, sure enough, under Features it says that "[n]icely contoured shoulder straps and the easily adjustable waistband can be stowed into the padded backpack."

I've just double-checked, but definitely no shoulder straps or waistband. But I do have another Laguna on order right now, off the new website; exact same price as the old one. It's on back-order until the end of May -- maybe they have changed the design, and the new ones are on their way down the pipeline. We'll see.

--Marek

Thanks Marek!

Let us know when you get it in, if it has shoulder straps. From the web site, it sounds like they have changed it to include the straps. It will be interesting to see. BTW, What do you think of the current Laguna you have? Obviously you like it because you are getting another. If you could give us some reasons as to why....that would be great!

PugetDiver:
Thanks Marek!

Let us know when you get it in, if it has shoulder straps. From the web site, it sounds like they have changed it to include the straps. It will be interesting to see. BTW, What do you think of the current Laguna you have? Obviously you like it because you are getting another. If you could give us some reasons as to why....that would be great!
I got it mainly for travel, obviously. When our daughter finishes her OWD course in another month or so, we're going to have four divers in the family. And we've got a two-week dive trip set up to Egypt in July. In Egypt last year, I had an old duffle-bag-type dive bag -- no wheels -- two sets of gear, without BCs or wetsuits... but I'm not doing that again!! :11:

Price was definitely a major factor with the Laguna. And the quality does seem to be great. Everything is nicely padded... the entire liner of the bag zips out... there are compression straps with buckles inside the main compartment... I can't find anyplace where they cut corners. Nice touch I love is there's even a velcro-secured carrying strap on the bottom of the bag, where the wheels are -- in case you've got to haul it when that end is facing you, I guess, like out of a car trunk.

The one Laguna we've got will easily fit two full sets of equipment -- jacket BCs (Triple-L Stratos, which are pretty hefty), fins, masks, wetsuits (1-3mm), booties, accessories. Then, like I said, two regulators with consoles will fit into the "saddle bags"... but that puts the bag's weight over 20 kg... and that's supposedly the weight limit per person that we're allowed.

So my plan is to pack each of the two Lagunas we'll have with two people's worth of scuba gear, less regulators -- hopefully keeping them down to 20 kg per bag. We'll then take the four regulators in carry-on backpacks, leaving the Laguna "saddle bags" at home. That'll still leave us weight allowance enough for two more 20-kg bags for clothing and "normal" stuff... which should hopefully be enough.

Wife has been sitting in with our daughter in her OWD class, and they've been using the Laguna to get their gear to and from the swimming pool. Wife says the bag is very sturdy and convenient, with the wheels and handle. But it's a little heavy for her getting it in and out of the car trunk. And she says, because of the bag's size, it's a little hard to get it through doorways.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom