Roller backpack with handle recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

The laguna is actually a brilliant bag but it doesn't come with a back pack strap, otherwise I would have gotten it already. I am seriously considering getting a couple of wetsuits from triple L and the prices are great except for the damn shipping... USD $58 to Singapore!!! I don't get it how the heck can shipping be that expensive... the suit only cost bout $64 or $67 and DHL charges $58 for shipping!

Anyway, the bag has to have backpack straps as it makes it so much easier when disembarking from a rocking boat to a wet slippery jetty.

I do hope the high sierra bag doesn't fall apart on me on my first trip LOL!

Many thanks guys for the great help and recommendations.

SangP

SangP:
The laguna is actually a brilliant bag but it doesn't come with a back pack strap, otherwise I would have gotten it already.

Heh -- the Laguna has wheels, but no straps; the Titan has straps, but no wheels.

SangP:
Hi,

The laguna is actually a brilliant bag but it doesn't come with a back pack strap, otherwise I would have gotten it already. I am seriously considering getting a couple of wetsuits from triple L and the prices are great except for the damn shipping... USD $58 to Singapore!!! I don't get it how the heck can shipping be that expensive... the suit only cost bout $64 or $67 and DHL charges $58 for shipping!

SangP

$58 dollars shipping and handling probably. $10 for shipping $48 for handling. I always loved that one. I would waiger that TripleL makes a bit on shipping to cover the price that they sell their equipment at. I know labor is cheap for them.

SangP:
Hi,

Anyway, the bag has to have backpack straps as it makes it so much easier when disembarking from a rocking boat to a wet slippery jetty.

SangP

Bummer about the shipping cost. It does have back pack straps though. See for yourself:

Description

The Laguna is our "Best Buy" award wining “gear” bag. With its combination of a trolley, wheels, straps and pockets, the bag is easy to wheel around or to be transformed into a back pack bag for exceptional mobility.

Features

The main cargo compartment can store a full set of gear

840 Denier fabric.

The sturdy plastic back harmonizes the telescopic handle and keep the bag stand up straight

The telescopic handle and hard bottom help retain bag's shape while wheeling

Easily zip-off up front regulator pocket

Two exterior side pockets. One has a protruding extendable pockets for fins storage.

Heavy-duty, treaded wheels with precision, smooth ball-bearing mechanism

Nicely contoured shoulder straps and the easily adjustable waistband can be stowed into the padded backpack.

Technical details

Dimensions: 30” X 16” X 12” (75cm X 40cm X 30cm)

I am not sure how they build their distribution route. It soulds weird to charge that much for the shipping/handling. Singapore is not far from their factory, Vienam.

It means that they don't have any warehouse for Asian market? So, if you order the items from Singapore, it ships to U.S. warehouse and re-ship to you. It is a round ticket shipping charge!

SangP:
Hi,

SangP

PugetDiver:
Bummer about the shipping cost. It does have back pack straps though. See for yourself:

Description

The Laguna is our "Best Buy" award wining “gear” bag. With its combination of a trolley, wheels, straps and pockets, the bag is easy to wheel around or to be transformed into a back pack bag for exceptional mobility.
[...]
Nicely contoured shoulder straps and the easily adjustable waistband can be stowed into the padded backpack.
[...]Dimensions: 30” X 16” X 12” (75cm X 40cm X 30cm)

PugetDiver, where are you finding that? Neither the main Laguna page nor the webstore page have the text you quote, and weirder yet, both state the depth at 10", not 12". I'm wondering if the bag has changed to eliminate (or add) the backpack straps.

lairdb:
Heh -- the Laguna has wheels, but no straps; the Titan has straps, but no wheels.

On my Akona, I had backstraps and they were fine, but the D ring they connected to at the bottom of the bag was made of plastic. One day, when the bag was particularly heavy, it snapped.

Also - something to take into consideration, 99% of these bags are not waterproof. They might say "waterproof fabric" or "water resistant fabric" but this does not mean the bag is waterproof. Water can get in through the zippers or through the seams.

My situation might be rare, but having a fully waterproof bag is very important - I have a 20' boat that I take between islands and it often gets an inch or two of seawater in it... having a waterproof bag keeps my gear/dive clothes dry until I get to my destination, and dry for the airline ride back (I have many bags but one I use when I know it's going to be wet is completely waterproof).

lairdb:
PugetDiver, where are you finding that? Neither the main Laguna page nor the webstore page have the text you quote, and weirder yet, both state the depth at 10", not 12". I'm wondering if the bag has changed to eliminate (or add) the backpack straps.

Okay, I answered my own question -- sortof. The triple-l.biz and store.triple-l.biz sites say it's 10" deep, and don't mention backpack mode. The reviews they link to also don't mention backpack straps; in fact, one cites the lack of backpack straps as a shortcoming. However...

The new www.scubal.com site quotes 12" deep, and does mention backpack mode.

Looks like the bag has been revised to include backpack straps.

Questions:
  • Does anyone have a new, with-backpack-straps Laguna bag? Thoughts?
  • What is the weight? The review I linked above says "it weights [sic] around 6.7kg", and they're clearly reviewing the pre-backpack design. Google Calculator tells me 6.7kg is 14.8lbs, which in my book is pretty heavy for a bag. Is anyone able to weigh a new (with backpack mode) Laguna?

Hi buys,

I donno what's going on but tripleL has yet to get back to me regarding why the shipping costs so much and I'm going to ask them about the backpack straps if and when they do reply.
Also i gotta find out just heavy the darn thing is... 14.8lbs is just too much.

Cheers.
SangP

TripleL.... you guys out there?

Back
Top Bottom