Rocky Mountain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just checked the club list...we aren't there yet. I have 4 local dive buddies who said that they will join as well. So...we ought to start thinking about the double secret hand shake....

Been lurking awhile...never had a reason to pipe in - 'till now. Count me in.

I'm wondering how long this generally takes....

Ron

boulderjohn:
I am starting a new thread that may lead to a Rocky Mountain club or just a repository of information about dive locations, etc.

First of all, if you are interested in local diving anywhere in America, you can always go to Dive Training Magazine's map of local dive spots: http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html. It has little dive flags to identify locations, and when you click on them, you get a description of that site. Unfortunately, you will find no site descriptions behind the flags in Colorado, confirming the prevailing idea that Homestead Crater in Utah and the Blue Hole in New Mexico are the closest places people actually want to dive. (Both have fine writeups at the DT site.)

I am thinking of two things here.

1. We can start a Rocky Mountain club here if we have ten people say they are interested.

2. If not, we can help each other out by writing reviews in this thread of other locations. I am familiar with Carter Lake, and I will write a review later on as a part of this thread. I hope that people with first hand knowledge of Chatfield Reservoir, Aurora Reservoir, Horsetooth Reservoir, and other sites will do the same. I am hoping for more than a name--something with enough objective information so people can make an informed decision about trying it out.

Yeah, Utah is not the best place for scuba. I'm glad we have a "home" now but now someone needs to post in it!

Congrats on your new club. I use to live in Loveland and miss the mountains.

I couldn't help seeing your club name "Rocky Mountain Oysters" as it resurrected viscous memories of school days and paying off dares as to how many I could eat!
Only to be redeemed by praying at the white porcelain bowl.

MtnDiver:
:icon10: Do we really want to be known as the "bull testicles"?

Surely we can come up with something better!?

"Rocky Mountain Mud Bugs" maybe?
Best of luck with your club.
If your ever in wreck valley, look us up for a few dives.
Dan

In keeping with boulderjohn’s suggestion to provide Rocky Mountain dive site info in this thread, I’m about to post our third “review”, this one on Chatfield.

But I wonder if there is a convenient way to put them into a different, dedicated thread? Would it make sense?

State Park entrance is from Colorado Highway 121 (Wadsworth Blvd.), a mile south of 470. There is also a south entrance from Roxborough Park Road. $5 park fee.

Using this map, find the word Kingfisher just southwest of the main reservoir. The scuba area is in the gravel pit to the south.
Turn south off the paved road for limited parking at the scuba site (first parking area on the right). Additional parking areas across the paved road and further south.

elevation: approximately 5430 feet
max depth ~30 feet
visibility ~20 feet

Colorado’s usual crayfish, muddy bottom, pondweed and fish.
Used by local dive shops for training weekends all summer, reducing vis dramatically.

There is a row of sunken objects connected by cable near and parallel to the shoreline.

The only facilities are porta-pottys in the next parking areas north and south.
Pretty woods nearby.

Good idea to bring food, water, tarpaulins and folding chairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom