Rocky Mountain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in too.

I'm a bit late here, but had to add some things....
First off, you can dive Chatfield res it's self. I have done it. Boat or shore. The rangers told me that as long as you have flags you are ok from shore. I make sure to tell the guy at the counter what we are doing, you can have him radio a ranger too. The res sucks though. By the dam, it's only 28' deep and vis really sucks. There is a river bed on the south end where the stumps stick up, we are going to dive it this summer to see what's there.
I dove Carter, Chatfield, Jefferson and Glendo res in WY last summer. I'm up for about any diving. We plan on doing twin lakes and a few others this summer. My brother dove Horsetooth, I want to as well.
I hope to have a dive boat put together too, but I have to see if the lower unit is ok on my good boat first.
Also, I am a certified PSI visual inspector, if anyone needs a vis, I will do it for $7.00 to club members.

I'll dive any time of the year, so anytime someone wants to dive, send me an email.
Greg

Dr. Frankenmule:
I'm in too.

...I dove Carter, Chatfield, Jefferson and Glendo res in WY last summer. I'm up for about any diving. We plan on doing twin lakes and a few others this summer. My brother dove Horsetooth, I want to as well.
I hope to have a dive boat put together too, but I have to see if the lower unit is ok on my good boat first.
Also, I am a certified PSI visual inspector, if anyone needs a vis, I will do it for $7.00 to club members.

I'll dive any time of the year, so anytime someone wants to dive, send me an email.
Greg

Welcome aboard!! Nice to have another semi-sane lake diver available.
04.gif

Now that it's getting a bit warmer I hope those of us that are interested can schedule some lower altitude outings - whenever at least some of the ice thaws.

Carter is open, but it's cold. I have dry gloves now, so I can dive it any time.
I dove it about a month ago, 39* with wet gloves stunk..... It had about 10' vis.
Greg

Sorry I got into this thread alittle late. I've thought we needed a group here in the Rockies for some time. None of you however have mentioned the best water I have seen up here- Flaming Gorge. Now it is cold, and really not for beginners (without someone else around) but the vis is up to 60 feet on a good day! An man is it pretty! I'll bring my boat, we can cram as many divers as we get and go to one of the campsites that are boat access only and dive off the docks. And when we are tired of sunbathing/diving/BBQing and spearfishing I will make sure you all get back to your cars.
BTW- just in case you didn't nodice COUNT ME IN!!

Sorry I got into this thread alittle late. I've thought we needed a group here in the Rockies for some time. None of you however have mentioned the best water I have seen up here- Flaming Gorge. Now it is cold, and really not for beginners (without someone else around) but the vis is up to 60 feet on a good day! An man is it pretty! I'll bring my boat, we can cram as many divers as we get and go to one of the campsites that are boat access only and dive off the docks. And when we are tired of sunbathing/diving/BBQing and spearfishing I will make sure you all get back to your cars."

Hey Newt,

How cold is it at depth? I don't dive drysuit. Yet. I've heard the Gorge is awesome, though, and would love to try it, along with some spearfishing. Is it "wet-suitable"?

CON8IV:
Hey Newt,

How cold is it at depth? I don't dive drysuit. Yet. I've heard the Gorge is awesome, though, and would love to try it, along with some spearfishing. Is it "wet-suitable"?
Hi Con,
Why don't a group of us meet in August or September at the lake. Yes it is wet suitable, and the top can be downright tropical ( 70's) but the thermacline takes you to about 60 degrees or below. The thermacline is reported to be at 40 feet, and maybe in some areas it is. I have found near the dam it is closer to the surface.
But if your comfortable in these temps, come on in. Lets do a dive party where the tribes from the east (Colorado) meet the dive tribes of the west (Utah). I think it would be one heck of a good weekend.

newt:
Hi Con,
Why don't a group of us meet in August or September at the lake. Yes it is wet suitable, and the top can be downright tropical ( 70's) but the thermacline takes you to about 60 degrees or below. The thermacline is reported to be at 40 feet, and maybe in some areas it is. I have found near the dam it is closer to the surface.
But if your comfortable in these temps, come on in. Lets do a dive party where the tribes from the east (Colorado) meet the dive tribes of the west (Utah). I think it would be one heck of a good weekend.
I am in for a trip to the Gorge. I have heard alot about it, and want to go check it out. Lets make the plans and post it in the calender. By the way, I'm in! :D

Just curious, I've heard that you can dive there but never met anyone that has.

A friend of mine spent most of his diving career there.
You have to get in the water in early spring otherwise it is pretty stirred up and has a nasty algie bloom.

Back
Top Bottom