Rocky Mountain Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
I am starting a new thread that may lead to a Rocky Mountain club or just a repository of information about dive locations, etc.

First of all, if you are interested in local diving anywhere in America, you can always go to Dive Training Magazine's map of local dive spots: http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html. It has little dive flags to identify locations, and when you click on them, you get a description of that site. Unfortunately, you will find no site descriptions behind the flags in Colorado, confirming the prevailing idea that Homestead Crater in Utah and the Blue Hole in New Mexico are the closest places people actually want to dive. (Both have fine writeups at the DT site.)

I am thinking of two things here.

1. We can start a Rocky Mountain club here if we have ten people say they are interested.

2. If not, we can help each other out by writing reviews in this thread of other locations. I am familiar with Carter Lake, and I will write a review later on as a part of this thread. I hope that people with first hand knowledge of Chatfield Reservoir, Aurora Reservoir, Horsetooth Reservoir, and other sites will do the same. I am hoping for more than a name--something with enough objective information so people can make an informed decision about trying it out.

First, whoever thought of this name: GREAT JOB!

Second, I would really be interested in forming or being involved in a dive club here in Colorado. I have dove Carter, also, but am open to other places. My shop usually does an annual "cleanup" dive some place. Last year was Turquoise Lake, I think. Perhaps I can get additional info. If someone already supplied this, sorry, as I have not read the entire thread.

What can I do to help things get rolling?

CON8IV:

Second, I would really be interested in forming or being involved in a dive club here in Colorado. I have dove Carter, also, but am open to other places. My shop usually does an annual "cleanup" dive some place. Last year was Turquoise Lake, I think. Perhaps I can get additional info. If someone already supplied this, sorry, as I have not read the entire thread.

It's a name I've been using for my fantasy leagues for about a decade, but when they asked for a name, it fit!!

I'm definately into getting together for some group diving, even if it's at the world's best wreck, the Aurora Res!! Hey, blow some bubbles, drown some worms, and throw a few shrimp on the barbie. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon a few times a year during the warmer months!!

I'll be at the hole on March 12-13th, and looking to share gas for anyone who is interested... I'm doing AOW.

Ron

CON8IV:

There should be something near you, of course. Where are you?

The shop I use in Boulder has a club that meets the first Wednesday of every month. We do a cleanup, too, usually at Carter Lake, since that is where we do our summer open water classes.

Hey guys. BJ had PM'd me about this club, but it's been a while since I've had time to surf and catch up here.

First off, glad to see our Club is up and rolling!

I for one am really getting cabin fever. I leave this Saturday for a week long Caribbean cruise, just to go dive in warm water. One of these days I need to invest in a drysuit. :(

I like the Oysters name. Bet you most people not in the west don't even know what it means.

Looking forward to meeting some of you over the summer. Hasta la vista!

RonFrank:
It's a name I've been using for my fantasy leagues for about a decade, but when they asked for a name, it fit!!

I'm definately into getting together for some group diving, even if it's at the world's best wreck, the Aurora Res!! Hey, blow some bubbles, drown some worms, and throw a few shrimp on the barbie. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon a few times a year during the warmer months!!

I'll be at the hole on March 12-13th, and looking to share gas for anyone who is interested... I'm doing AOW.

Ron

Hey, nice work on going for your AOW and the name. If I was not working then, I would tag along. The week after that, I leave for Bonaire for 7 days. Actually, I never dove Blue Hole. I much prefer Homestead Crater in Utah, which is where my shop goes. The water is about 98 deg. average. I have documented 104 deg. F right where the water seeps in, up through the spring at the bottom at 65'. Surface temp. is about 97 in the winter. Just remember this when your pulling on your wetsuit the second day, and it has actual ice crystals in it. I have heard this happens from a couple different folks. Trust me, the few more hour drive to Utah is worth the comfort for training. Just my opinion.

boulderjohn:
There should be something near you, of course. Where are you?

The shop I use in Boulder has a club that meets the first Wednesday of every month. We do a cleanup, too, usually at Carter Lake, since that is where we do our summer open water classes.

Well, I was thinking the folks here on the board were wanting to start a "new" club. Something like I had experince with about 21 years ago here, in Denver, called "Club Aquarius". I was 14 at the time, and Mom & Dad were not going to spring for dive lessons. Anyone out there remember this, or is it still in existence? It was a pot-luck dinner, once a month. They had a slide show and gave out door prizes. I went with a friend and his father who dove, as I had interest in diving back then.

Anyone? Anyone???

CON8IV:
Well, I was thinking the folks here on the board were wanting to start a "new" club. Something like I had experince with about 21 years ago here, in Denver, called "Club Aquarius". I was 14 at the time, and Mom & Dad were not going to spring for dive lessons. Anyone out there remember this, or is it still in existence? It was a pot-luck dinner, once a month. They had a slide show and gave out door prizes. I went with a friend and his father who dove, as I had interest in diving back then.

Anyone? Anyone???

Yup.

You are thinking of the club at Denver Divers on 6th Avenue. I don't know if it's still active, but it was up until a couple of years ago when the shop was sold. I knew some of the old members, but have no idea if the new folks kept it going.

You can count me in as well. I'm up in the mountains, but have managed to make it down to Aurora Resv. from time to time.

CON8IV:
Hey, nice work on going for your AOW and the name. If I was not working then, I would tag along. The week after that, I leave for Bonaire for 7 days. Actually, I never dove Blue Hole. I much prefer Homestead Crater in Utah, which is where my shop goes. The water is about 98 deg. average. I have documented 104 deg. F right where the water seeps in, up through the spring at the bottom at 65'. Surface temp. is about 97 in the winter. Just remember this when your pulling on your wetsuit the second day, and it has actual ice crystals in it. I have heard this happens from a couple different folks. Trust me, the few more hour drive to Utah is worth the comfort for training. Just my opinion.

I actually not only wanted to dive the Hole for AOW, I signed up for a class that basically did not exist to do it vs. the Crater. I really should not comment on the Crater as I've never dove it, but I guess I have less interest in diving in an environment where the only critters are too small to see, the place is *reserved*, and it's more like a hot tub than most diving environments.

I guess maybe I'd love it, but many instructors at the LDS I use perfer the Hole even if it can be a bit cooler. :11:

Maybe I'll change my mind if I ever get really cold diving there.

Our November dive was simply lovely at the Hole, and like CO, NM has a LOT of sunshine!! Give me a 45F sunny day, and I can handle that 60F water in a 7mm without issue. I may change my tune if it's snowing, or even worst windy and below 30F down there.

Ron

Hey there everyone. Well, I'm back in CO now. I started the moving back to CO thread BTW. Anyway I'm here and ready to dive again. I haven't dove since Christmas, so if anyone is doing anything, hit me up and I'll be there as long as my work schedule allows it. I'm also available to just talk diving too if anyone is up for that. Look forward to meeting some of you and diving with you in the future.

Back
Top Bottom