Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uh...can someone figure surface tension into these equations? :toilet

Rec Diver:
In the book the, "The Last Dive", the author recalls an accident about a diver who's drysuit fill valve stunk in the open position. His ascent, from a depth in excess of 100 feet, was so quick that eye witnesses said, "that his fins cleared the water upon exiting". The end result was that this particular dive ened up wheel chair bound from this experience.

For those of you that can not exceed 2 feet of clearnace from the water, I would suggest that you consider losing some of your extra weight before continuing to dive. Hell, I have seen whales clear more than that at the zoo.

Well, now....still calling bs, but even if this account is true, kind of puts a damper on your claim that this is a safe thing to do in an emergency, doesn't it? As I recall your story, it was of a rescuer ascending with a victim from 100ft. Your story's falling apart, bud...

Rec Diver:
...water pressure reduces as we ascend...increasing the velocity

Rick Murchison:
And now I understand.....
Rick

I had to think about this, but just to make sure I understand, the point Rick is making is that it's the increased volume in our BC that causes us to rise faster as we get shallower, not any change directly due to pressure. Right?

I just wanted to make sure I understood the point. If I'm still missing it, could you please clarify?

I'm going out on a limb, but I think Rick was trying to indicate that what he understands now is that Rec Diver is clueless :wink:

pants!:
I'm going out on a limb, but I think Rick was trying to indicate that what he understands now is that Rec Diver is clueless :wink:
That's how I read it.

Personally, i'm calling my school and asking for a bunch of money back. They didn't tell me it was as simple as E=mC2. I shoulda gotten done in about two semesters not four years.

I think a bunch of old dead guys with names like Bernoulli, Froude and Reynolds are gonna be upset also.

I can push my youngest... by his feet... up and out of the water high enough for him to do a flip!

Well, maybe not with his scuba gear on. But, of course, we usually do this in our pool. Maybe, in the ocean...with the increased buoyancy from salt water...I could toss him high enough to flip...Al80, fredT plate and all. Nah...but maybe... in Utah's Great Salt Lake.

Or...how 'bout on another planet? Yah... one with less gravity and a really salty ocean...or maybe an ocean with something other than salt in it...some element that would make him so buoyant that he could walk on water. Hmm...yah, we could do it there.

Rec Diver, why don't you just simply put Einstien, Archimedes, Newton, et al theory to the test. Get a crash test dummy and a bc. Blow the BC up and let's see how high that puppy can go. Of course, that doesn't factor in a finning/panicky diver but, unless, you'd like to volunteer, I don't think you'll get any live subjects.

A cheaper version would be to get a blow up doll and put about 100lbs of weight on her/him .... second thought all that air ... what principle is that again??? Dalton/dolton, Boyle/Doyle .... :D

Stephen Ash:
Or...how 'bout on another planet?
It has long been my contention that the different locations of our members (and thus the different diving conditions) is often central to the disagreements here on Scuba Board.

I think the *you must be from a different planet* explanation has merit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom