Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hooked-Again

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:06: Hi All,

The wife and I are planning a dive vacation to Roatan in April, '06. We are leaning towards Anthony's Key Resort . Anybody out there have any suggestions, comments, or perhaps alternate choices with the same type of ammenities?
We are very open to suggestions and look forward to any feed-back.

I went to Anthony's Key Resort two years ago and loved it. I'd go back, but if you want a phone, TV, and a pool, it's not for you. I'm glad I got the room with a.c. because I like to sleep cool. The food there is included and I thought was excellent (others may disagree). Boat trips to the dive sites were very short and you can do three dives a day from a boat. Two additional night dives were also included. I don't know of anyone that took advantage of the shore dives.

I would also look at the other side of the island. Cocoview and Fantasy Island are side by side. Cocoview seems to cater to a very good crowd here on the board and you will get several to tell you more information than I. I have stayed at Fantasy Island. I will admit that we went because of the price. We loved the place. We dove as much as we desired. Three boat trips daily included in the price. We had them drop us off on the house reef just like the Cocoview boats do. We could night dive the walls off the resort and there was one nght dive included. The food was good not great. The resort was beautiful and the staff friendly. I let money determine where we went because I have heard so many good things about Inn of Last Resort, Bay Island Beach resort, AKR, Fantasy Island, and Cocoview. Whichever you choose will be fantastic diving. I would look at the moon schedule and hope that maybe you could hit a full moon and might glimpse a whale shark if you get lucky on Roatan or take a day trip to Utila. I have been to Roatan twice and stayed in Westend the other time. I do not think you can go wrong with any and I post only to give you options.

We also visited Anthony's two years ago (and actually got married at the resort). We loved everything about our visit. The dive operation is great and offers flexibility by returning to the dock after every dive. We enjoyed the food and everyone working at the resort were first class. Our only complaint was it would be nice to have a pool to jump into after a day of diving and then they just announced the new pool has just been opened!

We are actually going back in September for another visit. We might see you there!

vols3232:
I would also look at the other side of the island. Cocoview and Fantasy Island are side by side. Cocoview seems to cater to a very good crowd here on the board and you will get several to tell you more information than I. I have stayed at Fantasy Island. I will admit that we went because of the price. We loved the place. We dove as much as we desired. Three boat trips daily included in the price. We had them drop us off on the house reef just like the Cocoview boats do. We could night dive the walls off the resort and there was one nght dive included. The food was good not great. The resort was beautiful and the staff friendly. I let money determine where we went because I have heard so many good things about Inn of Last Resort, Bay Island Beach resort, AKR, Fantasy Island, and Cocoview. Whichever you choose will be fantastic diving. I would look at the moon schedule and hope that maybe you could hit a full moon and might glimpse a whale shark if you get lucky on Roatan or take a day trip to Utila. I have been to Roatan twice and stayed in Westend the other time. I do not think you can go wrong with any and I post only to give you options.

:thumbs-up Thanks so much for the info. I know this is going to be a tough decision but it is good to hear that no matter where we decide to stay the diving will be great. That is all that matters to us.

sbarnett20:
We also visited Anthony's two years ago (and actually got married at the resort). We loved everything about our visit. The dive operation is great and offers flexibility by returning to the dock after every dive. We enjoyed the food and everyone working at the resort were first class. Our only complaint was it would be nice to have a pool to jump into after a day of diving and then they just announced the new pool has just been opened!

We are actually going back in September for another visit. We might see you there!

:wink: Thank you for the reply, Congrats on the marriage(delayed). I am blessed to have my best friend, dive buddy and wife all wrapped up in one package and we both hope this will enable us to dive more often and have more fun. Hope we run into you along the way. In the mean time dive safe and often.

I'd like to suggest Inn of Last Resort. We were there 3 weeks ago and loved it. It's on the Anthony's Key Resort side of the island. This side of the Island is the marine preserve. On our first dive we saw 2 turtles. You can walk into West End, which we did, just for the experience...but next time we'll take a taxi :) ILR is funky and small..only 30 rooms. It sits on Gordon Bight and all the dive sites were only 5-10 minutes away. Their package is 3 dives/day. Rooms are spacious and rustic..plenty of hot water and the water is safe to drink. There is security on the property 24/7. There is a private lagoon with a spacious deck for snorkeling or a night dive. This is an all-inclusive and we were more than happy with the meals. The staff here was excellent. I felt as though I was in an exotic treehouse the whole time I was there. Diving was excellent all around...boats, DMs, sites, marine life. When you are a guest here, there is also a feeling that you are part of their family. The host and hostess are Donna and Andy Arcaya and they are present on site. They and the entire staff interact with the guests. We went with another couple from our dive club who had been to CocoView several years ago. They did enjoy CocoView, but for the diving and camaraderie they said they would return to ILR. PM me if you like for more information. We have some topside pictures (u/w camera flooded last year in Bonaire and we did not replace in time for Roatan)
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7757249&uid=3389098
Here is their website if you are interested
http://www.innoflastresort.com/
Wherever you stay, hope you enjoy Roatan. We certainly did.

Been toAnthonys 2 times. Will be going back in a few more weeks. Great operation. Clean, safe, good food, nice rooms, and a great laid back pace. Suggest a room with AC. You will have a great time there. Another place I visited, but did not stay at was called Fantasy Island Resort. Very beautiful place, but I can not comment on much else. These are the two nicest resorts, in my opinion, on the island.
Hooked-Again:

The wife and I are planning a dive vacation to Roatan in April, '06. We are leaning towards Anthony's Key Resort . Anybody out there have any suggestions, comments, or perhaps alternate choices with the same type of ammenities?

Stayed at ILR in 1999 and we're headed back in October 2005... The ILR is Roatan's best kept secret... Quiet, Secluded, Super Owners and Staff... You can't go wrong here...

Ken

Finnatic:
I'd like to suggest Inn of Last Resort. We were there 3 weeks ago and loved it. It's on the Anthony's Key Resort side of the island. This side of the Island is the marine preserve. On our first dive we saw 2 turtles. You can walk into West End, which we did, just for the experience...but next time we'll take a taxi :) ILR is funky and small..only 30 rooms. It sits on Gordon Bight and all the dive sites were only 5-10 minutes away. Their package is 3 dives/day. Rooms are spacious and rustic..plenty of hot water and the water is safe to drink. There is security on the property 24/7. There is a private lagoon with a spacious deck for snorkeling or a night dive. This is an all-inclusive and we were more than happy with the meals. The staff here was excellent. I felt as though I was in an exotic treehouse the whole time I was there. Diving was excellent all around...boats, DMs, sites, marine life. When you are a guest here, there is also a feeling that you are part of their family. The host and hostess are Donna and Andy Arcaya and they are present on site. They and the entire staff interact with the guests. We went with another couple from our dive club who had been to CocoView several years ago. They did enjoy CocoView, but for the diving and camaraderie they said they would return to ILR. PM me if you like for more information. We have some topside pictures (u/w camera flooded last year in Bonaire and we did not replace in time for Roatan)
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7757249&uid=3389098
Here is their website if you are interested
http://www.innoflastresort.com/
Wherever you stay, hope you enjoy Roatan. We certainly did.

Hooked-Again:

I stayed at AKR in '99.....nice place opt for a hillside room with a/c if you have a problem with bugs....the key itself has plenty...the owner and his son were there every day to talk and vist....the diving at least for me was only average but it beats the river here at the house :) you will like it....

Back
Top Bottom