Roatan advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this board while googling "diving in Roatan." I'm considering a few months relocation down there next year, mostly to finally finish my divemaster. I'd like advice from people who have been there (or live there!) about the expense of staying there for a few months, where are some good long term places to stay, and what shops are good. Any will be appreciated.
Also posted this in 'introductions.'

Thanks!

Hi there,

If you are coming for a few months I highly recommend the West End. I would hate to be stuck in resort somewhere outside of the west end doing my DM for that length of time. All the nightlife is in the west end, The best gorcery store is in French Harbour although there is a very reasonable one in Coxen Hole, and the basics can be purchased in the west end.

Will

If you have a mind to, one can live fairly cheaply in and around the West End area. Even cheaper if you live closer to town, as Will said, near to Coxen Hole or French Harbour.

Therein lies dilema #1. Transportation. It is expensive unless you are talking "bus", then it is inconvenient at best. Gotta get groceries, right?

If you live near the groceries, where the rent is very cheap, then you have to schlepp all the way to your "work", where you might finally finish your Dive Master.

Jeez, Becky, "finish up"? This is something that can be done easily by qualified candidates (with pre-study) in two weeks- no problem. There are places that can take a qualified diver of experience thru Rescue/DM (with 100% pre-study of materials) in two weeks. And i am not talking diploma mills, these are SCUBA Boot Camps, however.

If you want to have a good time and relax- that's cool if you can afford it. I just provide that note above in case there are readers who are constrained with time issues.

There is a great potential employment market in the Bay Islands for female North American DM's.

Hi Becky,

it is fairly easy to find shared accomodations in the West End area for about us$200 per month, more expensive if you want to live alone. For groceries and food, there are vegetable and fruit trucks that come into the West End everyday, there is a fantastic bakery there and probably one of the best selection of restaurants on the island. A great big pepperoni pizza will set you back about us$9, rotisserie chicken dinner us$4, seafood is available and very cheap also. There are more expensive restaurants. The cheapest option is to cook yourself and it is very easy to get into Coxen Hole once a week for shopping/market is costs less than a dollar one way on the bus, taxi $1.50. The buses and taxi run very regularly throughout the day. I wouldnt consider staying anywhere other than the West End. A great shop is Coconut Tree Divers. They are PADI authorised, are the only shop in the West End that sends off air samples for checking and they have a great covered boat. Their classroom is also one of the most comfortable in West End. The crew are professional and fun. Feel free to pm me if you have any other queries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom