Road Trip to Pompano?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, no reg in the bag. And, luckily, the bag was located this AM in my gear bag. It must have fallen loose from where Mrs. Reef put it during our dive, and the dive crew I guess just chose the nearest gear bag and put it in there. Wow was she happy this morning!

That's good to hear but I'm sorry to hear the overall experience was poor.

Day 2 was much better.

We did Hibiscus, and it was perfect. Viz was 40 feet, and we saw a little bit of everything.

The wife managed to forget her 7 mil. Hopefully the Sands Harbor will work with us to get it back.

Other than a few hiccups the trip was a blast.

Observations from the back of the boat.

Well now I don’t have an 8 point bad and 8 point good plan like Reef, I can add some observations from the back of the boat.

First impressions are everything:

My wife woke up on time (YEAH!) Then she rolled over and hit the snooze button 2 more times before my whimpering got her out of bed.

Luckily I had all our gear packed and ready for deployment (since I left Tampa), okay so I for got a beach towel to dry off. Okay so a little side trip to Walgreens on the way to the boat….I mean every Walgreens around my house sells beach towels…right? Well, Kim comes out of the store with…. ….. No beach towel…. wait for it…SHAM WOW!!! No beach towels 1.5 miles from the beach… but she came back with ingenuity and a smile, she solved the problem. So, now all the way to the boat I can hear that annoying guy from the commercial in my head talking about the many uses of SHAM WOW….

We arrived at the boat already knowing that Scubatyme would not be taking us out and we would be going on “another boat”. As we struggled to find parking I was trying to access the situation and it wasn’t looking good. We were instructed to park in a spot mark for “20 minute parking only” ( this is shaping up poorly) okay so fill out paperwork over there and pay that guy down there even though you not going out on his boat…..this is starting to look like a bad drug deal.

Okay so I am looking over all the possible boats to go out on, (please do let it be the big cattle boat, please not the cattle boat today) “Hey, which boat are we going out on?” “Oh, your going out on that big pink one.” “Oh great! (Mooooo)” So I found Jay and “unnamed divers, 1 and 2” we chatted up a bit and split up to get out gear and loved ones sorted out.

Going out on the boat was fairly uneventful from the back of the boat, I thought the briefing was okay, although there was a old guy on the boat that could have used a little more personality…..okay, perhaps he just sat on a stick or something….?

Got out to the wreck and hit the water, visibility kinda sucked, but down the line we went, I thought the Ancient Mariner was a good to great dive. Nice easy wreck, slight current to make it challenging and of course Kim (my wife) wants to enter the wreck…. She always makes me follow here around and take pictures of her doing cool stuff! I tried to get a group shot of Jay and “unnamed divers 1 and 2” but getting them and keeping them together seemed to be too challenging. So after a couple shot I kinda floated off.

Kim and I made a couple more trips through the inside of the wreck and started up the line to the surface.

The second reef dive was really nice, paired up with Jay and Tara drifted along and right down to the end of the dive I found a nice big Green Moray Eel hiding under a ledge. He even smiled a couple times for me. Jay got a better picture than me.

The operation did have its limits like no role call when all divers were back on the boat. Kim and I are used to diving internationally and perform our own role call, she looks after me and I look after her…. Then we make sure anyone we know or have talked to are back on the boat.

All in all, it was a good day. We didn’t loose anything and we got in a couple more dives. Kim and I didn’t use the universal sign for “you are not doing what I want you to do and you are now number 1 in my book!.”

Oh and the SHAM WOW’s? The are really absorbent and I am ashamed to say that after making much fun of them, that did a nice job for a synthetic chamois. I was able to dry my big butt off and I have that new car smell!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom