RMO - why you should make a trip out to Calif!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
That's a great video!

Totally agree!! Nice job! I was a little dissapointed you didn't have footage of Farnsworth...... Such a pretty place with the purple hydro coral!!

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't get any Farnsworth video but my hubby got still shots. It is definitely a dive of a lifetime and as it turned out, we were there with optimal conditions....little currrent, warm water, clear vis. As soon as we got down there I wished I had taken the camcorder. But then there is always next time!!!:D

Sounds like I've gotten the ball rolling here too. Nice to see a group trip in the planning.

robin:D :D

I'd like to go. With the way my finances are turning out this year .. and a full class load this fall ontop of working full time I probably won't be able to go until next year. I'd like to road trip down there. Maybe in the spring time. :)

My first 50 or so dives were all around the Channel Islands and I loved them all - I plan to get back there before too long, so who knows? Maybe a SB trip is the way to go...

Nice videos Robin! You were very luck to see that octopus. Out of all the diving I've logged in that area (~150) I've only seen octopi (sp?) during night dives. I've never seen them out during the day - and yours was very active.

Shore diving in the Marine park at Avalon gets a bit crowded for my taste, so I'd really prefer doing some boat diving. In fact, live aboards are more $, but well worth it in my opinion because you typically get the dive sites all to yourself (and the fellow divers on your boat).
I'd be interested in hearing more about any planned trips from this group to the Channel Islands.

Final thought: With Frontier Airline's rates to LAX, it's actually far cheaper to fly than to drive.
(My recent trip to Blue Hole was about $130 in gas RT - Frontier's rates to LAX are about the same)

Calf Channel Is diving is cool. Kelp diving can be fascinating, and you'll see life there that you won't see anywhere else. I've tried it once each on a Long Island day charter, a Catalina based day charter on two day trips, and a 3 dive day Liveaboard. All were great, but I prefer the liveaboad.

Driving to the west coast from Albuquerque or Denver would be a bit much, tho - even worse from West Texas. In addition to the gas costs, come on - figure tires, transmission servicing, oil serving, extra mileage on the odometer, wear and tear, and you're talking 40-50c a mile each way just for a car with two divers. From Albuquerque to Long Beach, 1600 miles round trip, $700-800 RT and you're exhausted if you're lucky enough to not get snowed in at Flagstaff plus an overnight stop each way. Alternately, do that trip in a rental car when you have time to visit the parks, monuments, Anazasi sites, and the Canyon - done it, loved it, would do it again. But for a dive trip, Frontier Air from ABQ for $208 RT, Supper Shuttle, board the boat for an night departure to a morning dive site, after 3 days of diving - one night hotel off gassing before flying back.

You do commonly have to arrange tank and weight rentals even for a live-aboard, and nitrox was not common last time I was out there, but I had no problems with either. I wore a 3 mil shorty over a 3 mil long the first time, but the 7 mil long I have now is better. Pour warm water inside between dives. Used the same in colder Puget Sound with heavy beanie, heavy booties, heavy gloves, but have since added neoprene socks - would add an even heavier hood.

I'd certainly be interested if you can get a good weekend trip in October, or next spring - and I promise to behave myself. :D

you know Don, it turned out to be cheaper than we had planned - our gas was only $225 total (I have a Honda Element, 20+MPG even loaded down with dive gear and tanks). We only stayed in a hotel on way back for $66 in Barstow. So total trip cost was less that $1000 for the 2 of us.
If our daughter or someone else had gone with us in the car, it would have only been $275 more (cost of Great Escape for the 2 days). Airfare on Southwest is around $320pp so it would have almost doubled the cost of the trip. Carpooling is the way to go if you can. Our last 2 trips out we flew and rented a car and rented tanks, etc. and ended up being no easier than this trip. So to me, the $$$ saved was worth it.

robin:D

One of the few times I have flown to Calif for vacation, it cost me more than driving. I even used frequent flyer miles so the airfare was only taxes. But, renting a car at my destination cost more than it did for me to drive my car out there and use it. I used the car for less than 10 miles/day, but it was still important to me to have the transportation. I don't know if I could have taxied for less, but I'm sure if I had to taxi, I would have limited my trips more than I did when I could drive myself. Of course, this was several years ago, before gas got so expensive, but I'm pretty sure 2 or more people could drive cheaper than they could fly, asuming your driving something economical (my GTI) not driving a tank (my 454 Suburban) :11:.

For one person, and not transportation required once there, it might be a toss-up.

None of this included the cost of my time to drive, only direct out of pocket expenses (gas, food, lodging, etc.).

I'd love to do this trip, but I can't make it this year. Too many dive trips already planned. :D

Back
Top Bottom