RMO - why you should make a trip out to Calif!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know you are all sick of diving Blue Hole....we sure have done so many dives there we can name the rocks.

video of the kelp forests off Santa Barbara and Catalina from last week when we headed out for a few days of diving. We really should organize a RMO group trip out to Calif!

be sure to right click on the link and "save target as" on your computer as files are large!
http://www.rnrscuba.net/Calif_07/CaliforniaTrip_2007_kelp_shortversion.wmv

rest of photos and videos are here:
http://www.rnrscuba.net/Calif_07/Californiakelp_07.html

I will have a trip report up soon!

robint

Hey Robin, how about helping me invade the SoCal group's "Wrinkles" dive Nov 9-11 at Catalina? Hubby and I are flying out from Ohio :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Nice video Robin! Natural light with red filter? Ya join us in November!

Dave

we would love to, but we are trying to work out details on a trip which we have planned for Dec. If things change, we might make it.

thanks for the compliments on my video. Yes, natural light and red filter on a basic camcorder, not HD.

robint
more photos and videos here: www.rnrscuba.net

That's one of the reasons I am doing my Dry Suit cert next month. I hear its colder over there, but it would be a fun dive. I have family in So. Cal, so it would be a natural trip for me.

Flatirons Scuba tends to run a trip to the Channel Islands every summer.

georoc01:
That's one of the reasons I am doing my Dry Suit cert next month. I hear its colder over there, but it would be a fun dive. I have family in So. Cal, so it would be a natural trip for me.
water temp depends a great deal on which island and what time of year. Water temps range from 50s-80s from winter to summer. Right now thru Nov it is the warmest.... at Catalina water temps were 68-70 degrees! The northern islands tend to be a bit cooler and the farther out you go, the colder the water. I haven't been to Santa Rosa island or San Miguel but have been told that the water is always 50s there.
San Diego is always 50s-60s year-round.
As far as a drysuit goes, if you have it then you can dive in Calif all year long. But if you want to dive wet, you can easily do it in a 7mm with hood and gloves from Jun/July til Dec depending which islands. Catalina seems to be the warmest regardless of time of year.
The list of all the calif dive boats are here:
http://californiadiveboats.com/
We have used the Peace and Spectre out of Ventura to Northern islands, and now the Great Escape out of Long Beach to Southern islands.

robint

Hmmmm, now there's a idea!! :eyebrow:

soooo Kevin, does that mean you are going to organize the official RockyMtOysters Calif Kelp dive trip? Yes, I know your LDS does a trip there in July every year, but I am talking about a group trip not associated with a dive shop.

BTW, on our boat was a group from Utah and one from LasVegas, NV.... not just people from Calif. So probably half the boat was from out-of-state. Capt Tim says he is trying to get dive shops to do group trips out there but it is a hard sell. Sad. I think it is as good of diving as you get in the Carib, just different and closer by, and no airport/passport hassles.

Back
Top Bottom