RMO Group trip to Calif this summer

I am interested in CA Kelp Diving in

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not quite time to set anything up, but I thought I would open up the discussion again.

I think we could easily get 10-20 people from our group here for a fun trip out to Calif for some kelp diving. Some dive boats out there will let a group book and determine the itinerary, etc. with that many and help sell the other spots.

We have been out for dive trips 3 years in a row now. We dove with Spectre and Peace boats out of Ventura, and Great Escape boat out of Long Beach/LA. However, we are totally open to any suggestions on boats, itinerary, etc.
Some suggestions:
Sanddollar in LA... they supply tanks and weights and have nitrox, mostly multi-day trips, sleep on boat
Great Escape in LA...need to bring tanks/wts but nice big boat, no nitrox, sleep on boat
Peace in Ventura....nitrox, bring or rent tanks & wts, single day and multi-day trips, sleep on boat
Spectre in Ventura...bring or rent tanks & wts, single day trips only BUT you can sleep on boat night before each day booked (saves on hotel costs), all food not included in cost. Best low cost way to do Calif diving in Northern Channel Islands.
Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara...bring or rent tanks & wts, single or multi-day trips, sleep on boat, a bit more expensive but nicer than all the others

All boats with websites here: California Dive Boats : The Official Page

other boats we have heard good things about: Pacific Star, Magician, & Bottomscratcher.......all can do multi-day trips or single day trips

The other option is to take the ferry over to Catalina and stay at a hotel for a few days.. shore dive one day, boat dive one day
I have worked up the costs and this works out to be about the same $$$ as doing doing a boat for same number of days.

Let's all chat about this and see what works for everyone. Me and hubby are absolutely going out again this year, it would be fun to go with a group. :D

my videos and hubby's photos from last year's trip:
http://www.rnrscuba.net/Calif_07/CalifTripReport2007.html

Previous trips:
http://www.rnrscuba.net/ChannelIslands.html
Oil Rig Grace, Channel Islands, California
Channel Islands 2006

robin:D

I like the look of that trip on the MV Horizon posted above. June 12-14 out of San Diego for what looks like a decent price.

This is on my list of dives I'd like to do this year.

I am gone the latter part of June into mid-July, so that timeframe is out for me. The FL invasion is July 11~14th. Some RMO's maybe attending, I definitely am.

I have not checked out the dives available, but kelp (so a boat dive) would be great. I'd also be up for diving Catalina. It all sounds good.

I would love to do a trip like this. Get some basis dates, etc and I'll do my best to get on board.
Thanks for doing the foot work
Frank

I was just checking out the Spectre, and Peace boats, and they look like a very affordable way to dive! Around $100 for four tanks of diving AND you can sleep on board! So what is the down side, because I just don't see one?

Let's make this happen! I'll throw out a date, like a MONTH for starters.

Who is up for September? :eyebrow::crafty::eyebrow::popcorn:

Maybe we should add a poll for the date! :rofl3: I know from personal experience that March 2008 sure bombed!

EDIT: I have added a poll to this thread to determine interest, and figure out when folks are available.

The votes are public, and you can select more than one month.

If I could make it, Sept might be the best. Would be a blast as I have watched Robins vids from last year.

Weather --- the biggest difference (so I have been told) between the months as far as diving goes..... April-June the water is starting to warm up so plankton bloom may limit vis. Better vis occurs from Sept-Dec. Sept is the warmest month as far as water temps (we had water around 70 degrees at Catalina last Aug!) The Northern Islands run about 5-15 degrees cooler regardless of time of year.

RonFrank - yes, the Spectre is the cheapest way to do the islands. Saturdays and Sundays, 4 dives, lunch and air included. Other food you can purchase, plus there is a cook taking orders, you just pay your bill at the end of the day on way back to dock. Not a fancy boat, can be a bit crowded on weekends with students and more beginners than other boats, too. We did use them and were perfectly content with them - they do the exact same dive sites as everyone else! Sleeping on the boat is in bunkbeds downstairs, nothing fancy but free. We didn't sleep when we used them, we stayed at one of the hotels there by the dock. Ventura has a nice harbor with little shops and nice restaurants. You can google it and see (really nice fancy down to burger joints). We got off the boat after a day of diving and went right up to the big Greek Restaurant there and had a big feast(about a dozen of us from the boat). But those who wouldn't want to sleep on the boat can easily stay at hotel down the road about 1 mile (that's what we did both times). There is also a big clean public bathroom with showers there at harbor, also.

If we all decide to do this, it would be good to book at least a month in advance if going on a weekend. They do fill up especially in summer.

The Peace boat docks right there also and it is a bit more expensive but a bit nicer all around. Less beginners and rarely students. All food is included and you can sleep on the boat the night before your booking just like Spectre.
And you can always do one day on one boat, one day on the other if you want (we have done that twice).

robin:D

I would be in for September. I already have a trip planned for June and July. Hopefully we can get together for some cold water mountain diving as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom