RMO Group trip to Calif this summer

I am interested in CA Kelp Diving in

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a specific trip in mind (Finstad's Worldwide Diving Explorations chartering Truth) for over Labor Day weekend, but I'm following this thread with interest!:eyebrow:

I've done several trips with Truth Aquatics, several on the Peace, and Spectre and Raptor as dayboats. All of them are very worthwhile operations, you'll be happy with any of them. Still haven't done any of the boats out of Long Beach or elsewhere. I tend to prefer the liveaboard trips, the emphasis is on diving, the food's good, only need a hotel for the night after returning. Can't beat them for the money.

I've actually chartered Truth Aquatic's Conception for five day trips a couple times in the past. If you get 20 - 25 people together you can do it quite easily. The nice thing about chartering it yourself instead of going through a shop is that you have say in where the boat goes, you can run what's called a "limited load" where you don't pack the boat to the gills with divers which makes for a far nicer trip and you can run it at not-for-profit (well, except for the boat and crew :))

However, the fewer the divers, the more it costs, plus I've always run my trips to the southern islands (once to the Cortez banks) so there's a fuel surcharge for the longer trips. A Truth Aquatics trip for a low-20s diver count to the southern islands if you do it yourself and don't pay a dive shop or organizer would be about $200/day, so a 5 day runs on the order of a grand.

Of course, do the math -- no hotel, no food to buy and unlimited diving and it's a great deal even at $200/day – you also get to stay on the boat the night of departure, so literally you can fly in the day of departure, get on the boat, dive and only look at one night in a hotel to give you 24 hours between your last dive and flying.

TA is truly a turn-key operation for an organizer and I have nothing but praise for the crew and boats. If there's any questions I can answer about chartering, ask away. I can't make it out to California this year, but I was planning to run a trip next year after a long hiatus from CA diving. If you want someone to spearhead the effort next year, I'd be more than willing!

Roak

Has anyone considered La Jolla Shores, just north of San Diego. The kelp forest is just a short swim from the beach, with showers and changing rooms right there.

Jim Fish

I have contacted SandDollar and I am working on getting prices and availability for dive trips in June right now. They sell out the boat to dive shops so I have to contact the dive shops who booked to see what they have. I will post the results of my inquiries as soon as I get them!

this is just for June right now. After I see what is available and how many people want to go, then we can look at Aug/Sept with same boat or other.

I am not a member of RM Oysters but I live in the Denver area and I would be interested in doing this trip with you. I had been planning a dive trip to this area before you posted. I am new to diving but from what I read about these trips it sounds like I would be within my abilities. Just got back from a 16 dive trip in Cozumel so I am feeling a little more experienced. A 3 day weekend trip would probably be best for me but I am open to other options.

Hello,

If you have any questions on the boats, places to dive, ect. I am happy to answer anything you may need to know. I may be able to help a little on this end, with anything you may need.

Thanks,
Rick (former RMO)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom