"Right to Repair" - Potentially great news for DIY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn’t it be great if we could buy service kits and repair parts for scuba equipment!
First you have to unlock the regulator.

5457495354434150434357544f4c4f4f53454e

Even if this thing goes through I don’t think anything will change as far as dive shops selling you parts. All they have to do is say they’re out of stock sorry, or just plain no. Businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Perhaps a person could hit up the manufacturer directly and all they have to say is they don’t sell retail.
Nobody gives a damn about scuba, it’s not buying parts for your Chevy or Toyota with tens of millions of them on the road.
We’re talking about scuba diving.
Sure I’d love to be able to walk in and buy parts but I’m not holding my breath.

Even if this thing goes through I don’t think anything will change as far as dive shops selling you parts. All they have to do is say they’re out of stock sorry, or just plain no. Businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Perhaps a person could hit up the manufacturer directly and all they have to say is they don’t sell retail.
Nobody gives a damn about scuba, it’s not buying parts for your Chevy or Toyota with tens of millions of them on the road.
We’re talking about scuba diving.
Sure I’d love to be able to walk in and buy parts but I’m not holding my breath.
Lawyers will certainly find clever loopholes.

I would certainly expect most scuba-shops would gate access, the same way many demand a certification-card before filling tanks. To them it might be a mixture of liability, reputation, commonly-held-ideas of "diy servicing is dangerous," and that it's in scuba-shop's best interests to have you pay them for service. Also the same as practically every open-water class tells you to not service equipment yourself.

Online retailers might be more willing to not be as anal, but there's little stopping someone like Scubapro from cutting off a company that sells parts-kits to consumers, without giving any explicit reason.

Lawyers will certainly find clever loopholes.

I would certainly expect most scuba-shops would gate access, the same way many demand a certification-card before filling tanks. To them it might be a mixture of liability, reputation, commonly-held-ideas of "diy servicing is dangerous," and that it's in scuba-shop's best interests to have you pay them for service. Also the same as practically every open-water class tells you to not service equipment yourself.

Online retailers might be more willing to not be as anal, but there's little stopping someone like Scubapro from cutting off a company that sells parts-kits to consumers, without giving any explicit reason.

Every now and then, Scubapro sends a missive to their dealers warning them that there have been incidents of online parts kits sales and that they should desist immediately “or else”. Very threatrning language.

Then nothing happens and it’s back to business as usual. If they were really serious, they could buy one on Fleabay and actually do something. The letter is really to placate dealers and make them feel like SP is ‘protecting’ them.

Equipment repair is, for many shops, a money losing enterprise were it not for parts. Their labor charge does not compensate them for salary+benefits+sq footage+disposables if they are spending the time they should on gear. They make it work with the markup on parts. And those that do break even on labor are churning regs and incurring risk by doing so.
If you told them all they could skip the risk and keep the profit, I'll bet most shops would happily sell you the parts and have one less employee, with service half as big a hassle as it is for most now.
As for liability? I do believe that is, shall we say, a strawman argument. When was the last time AutoZone was sued because a customer incorrectly installed a part? After all, the law will (hopefully) obligate them to sell the parts, so what choice (or liability) do they have?

No, I think the outcome rests with the scuba community. It's for that reason that I'm less hopeful. Politicians are beholden to special interests, and I don't think we'll rise up collectively to demand a provision that extends to us. There are still too many of us that regard a first stage as a black box of life support that should only be touched by the "experts."

C'mon folks! Write to your Congressman!

Every now and then, Scubapro sends a missive to their dealers warning them that there have been incidents of online parts kits sales and that they should desist immediately “or else”. Very threatrning language.

Then nothing happens and it’s back to business as usual. If they were really serious, they could buy one on Fleabay and actually do something. The letter is really to placate dealers and make them feel like SP is ‘protecting’ them.
Since the general public can buy scubapro stuff right from them and get free shipping it wouldn’t take much for them to include kits, full retail though.

Since the general public can buy scubapro stuff right from them and get free shipping it wouldn’t take much for them to include kits, full retail though.

They can buy at full MRSP. If you walk into a SP dealer, you can get a 10% discount before you open your mouth. Get aggressive and you’ll be surprised how much better that can get.

Should be Farmer but in this day who knows.

Girl uses gorilla glue as hair gel, makes 20k and sues gorilla glue
You do know that didn't actually happen? The suing that is. She admitted from the beginning that she screwed up, she neither blamed nor sued Gorilla Glue. She did raise 20k to cover her medical costs, but donated the whole amount when a cosmetic surgeon removed it all for free.

Is a Woman Suing Gorilla Glue After She Put It in Her Hair?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom