Rigging a small boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
The figures I gave are for how much load it takes to break or bend the anchor, both flukes held near the tip.

Did they test with one fluke caught, which is how I've seen most damaged? And/or pulling to one side rather than straight up?

That anchor ball looks interesting, aside from my worry about wrapping the rode around the prop. Did that once with an outboard and that was enough. Don't even want to think about it now that we've an inboard. The sail drive postions the prop nice and deep, just aft of the keel (think of a short shaft outboard mounted through the bottom, just aft of the keel, with the leg/engine joint postioned in line with the hull). I've dove it with just a mask, it would be quite a chore to clear if no dive gear (I keep a mask on board, but generally not fins and our home waters rarely get above the low 60's).

From the picture of the test machine it looks like both flukes, straight up. I think it's more interesting as a comparison between anchors then as a real world figure as to what it would take to bend any given anchor. I'm sure if you got the very tip of one of the danforth flukes and bent it at an angle it would give much much easier. The bruce is great for that, because it's such a "hunk of steel".

For the anchor ball method, one way is to tie the anchor line to a rear cleat on one side. This should keep it well away from the prop. You pretty much have to pick one side though, and execute a large arc. Going straight is just too dangerous in terms of catching the rode in the prop, you're absolutely right on that. I did it once, but realized it right away and backed off. Only took a few minutes with a gaffe (?) to clear it.

60º is balmy. Around here 50 is considered warm.

Always an interesting problem, with an interesting solution. When I had my boat, I always planned my dives to include two bounces, one to set the hook, and one to break it free. Never had the boat drift, and had a Mako swim by when I was setting one time.

For those who use a danforth type anchor here is a easy way to retreive it. Motor forward while someone hauls in the line until the boat is directly over the anchor. Now secure the line to a cleat and put the boat in reverse. Once the anchor breaks free of the bottom increase speed in reverse. The flukes will flip up and will act as a plane and fly the anchor up to the surface. Once the anchor is skipping along on the surface start hauling it in all the while keeping the boat in reverse. Much easier than hauling it up hand over hand from the bottom.

Captain

Back
Top Bottom