Rigging a small boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommed

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post on the Scubaboard, and I'd like to start out by saying that I have been reading the board for the past few weeks and have learned alot. Thanks! Now for my question. I have an 18 foot center console boat that I'm in the process of rigging for diving. To be specific the boat is an 18 foot Parker with a Yamaha F115 on the transom. I am seeking info and recomendations on what boarding ladder to install, how to best carry tanks and gear, etc. I use the boat on the South shore of Rhode Island, and will be carrying 2-4 divers. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tommed

Without knowing the boat specifically, I can only generically comment:

My buddy has a 22' Boston Whaler [center console]. We keep the tanks on the floor in the front of the boat; laying down. Since the tendancy is for things to slide backwards, we have the tanks lying up against the bench in front of the console, and store our weightbelts on the floor in front of the tanks [to keep them from pitching forward too much].

We're planning on installing straps so that we can strap the tanks instead of using weight belts to keep them from moving; but we've not gotten that far.

When gearing up, we usually have one person gearing up on the bow, while one person gears up back by the stern].

We have a removable ladder that goes over the side right about where the console is. On exit; we both remove our weights and either hand them up to the surface support, or heave 'em over the side onto the deck. We then both remove our BCs. One person holds both BCs while the other person removes his fins, tosses 'em aboard and climbs aboard. The diver now on the boat can pull up the rigs while the other diver is in the water, making sure they don't float away; sans all gear except fins.

Once the BCs are aboard, the remaining diver removes his fins and climbs aboard.

I have a 20' center console that works fine. I've been using it for about 6 yrs. I started with a ss swiming pool ladder, it worked fine but took up room. I bought one of those ss pole ladders you see in the West Marine catalogs. Its small, 4 rungs (easier to get onto than3). I started with it mounted on the side but the angle was not right so I moved it to the transome. It works great, takes up little space. I do keep a tether line on it as insurance. I also have tank holders mounted on the side. Thats 4 tanks per side. I got a Magellan 320 gps and a decent bottom finder and I have a blast with it. Enjoy! (.marine radio is good ins. as is one of the 'road service at sea memberships')

I have a 28' Carver flybridge cruiser, not a T-top waalkaround like you. However, the cockpit area is small and space is at a premium.
I use tank brackets strategically placed around the cockpit area to be as out of the way as possible....the kind with extruded aluminum mounting strips and plastic bracket holders with the arms that fold down when not in use. They work great and I've never had a tank get loose, even in some pretty rough seas.

I have everyone set up their tank with BC and reg, then snap their tank into the holder. We do backrolls for entry.

In a small boat I feel the best exit approach is to remove your BC
in the water. I do this myself when out solo. I drape a line about 8' long off a stern cleat to tie off the BC's after removal. Fins are next and can be thrown onto the swim platform or into the boat. This can all be done hanging onto any type lader that is convenient for the boat.....mine is the permanently afixed foldup type standard on most small boats.

I leave my weight belt on to climb the ladder....not a big deal since you are holding the ladder to remove your fins anyway.

Once in the boat, lifting a BC and tank out of the water is quite easy....particularly if you have a swim platform or a step to the side of the motor.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas to work with.

4 divers probly won't work to well.There is plaque somewher on the boat that'll tell you what the total loads are for the boat.They are not arbitrary #s.I have a 20' with a hi load rating due to it's lightweight construction.1050lbs is barely enough to carry 4 divers and 2 tanks each.I put my wayback or granny line in a front hatch.Also 3 tanks.Other hatch gets ice&bait.Front cooler seat gets extra prop,anchor rope ,rain gear&tools.Life jackets are stowed in a bag under T-top.Remainder of tanks are stowed between the bow platform and the cooler seat .Bins with dive gear on either side of tanks prevent rolling or movement.Bins(35 gal rubbermaid)contain all dive gear.Spearguns are lashed to T-top.Xtra oil and safety gear are under console.Gunwale mounted tank holders are a really bad idea on a narrow beamed boat.Imagine trying to walk around then .Also shifts a lot of weight to the rear making it hard to get on plane.We usually throw bcs in during the summer and wear them in when wearing a lot of protection.4 lines,1 at each cleat offer 6' of rope with a clip on the end to clip off speargun,bc,camera and stuff.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. 100 days a year you are absolutely correct that the boat is really bogged down with 4 divers and their gear. I would prefer not to dive with four on board my small boat, but I am hesitant to dive from an unattended anchored boat. It is difficult to find a dedicated boat tender, and I don't believe in diving solo, so therefore to date I have been carrying two buddy teams.
This brings me to another question. Do you folks think that it is safe and/or advisable to do a dive without leaving someone on board to tend the boat? Any tips as to how to do this safely would be appreciated.

Tommed

Tommed once bubbled...
This brings me to another question. Do you folks think that it is safe and/or advisable to do a dive without leaving someone on board to tend the boat? Any tips as to how to do this safely would be appreciated.

Do I think it's safe and adviseable? No.

Have I/we done it? Yes.

First... have two anchors. Drop the first anchor and run with the current/wind for at least 3 times the depth [e.g. for 40 ft depth, let out at least 120 ft of line. Now let out another 120 ft and set a stern anchor. Let out 120 ft in the stern anchor and pull up that extra 120ft on the bow anchor.

First task on your dive... set the anchors.

I'd also tie off a reel to the anchor so even if the boat breaks free, you'll still be able to find it.

I would _not_ do it if there is a serious enough current that you think there is any chance you won't be able to swim up current to get to the boat. _always_ be sure to go against the current for your dive, and if your not great with navigation, don't risk overshooting the boat.... surface and head to the boat from the surface.

Oh.. and of course, hide your ignition key.

I'm sure there is other suggestions I can make, but that's what comes to mind off the bat.

Those are some good ideas. I never use 2 anchors but I stay shallow if there is no boat tender. (shallow and fairly close to shore ,-30'&-1/2 mile). Weather and vis are always a factor too.

I'm also modifying my boat (1969 23' twin engine Donzi) for diving. Where do you buy the scuba tank brackets like pro-dive boats have? I want to put a 4 tank bracket on each side of the cockpit.

Since we'll have to climb up the out drives, onto the swim platform, looks like we'll be removing our backplates in the water and clipping them off to a tether (great idea from the previous post), then hauling them up once onboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom