Rig Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And then some people get more help than they deserve and they still shoot the messengers.

Regards,

Cudabait:
And then some people get more help than they deserve and they still shoot the messengers.

Regards,

Depends on your experience, too. Not to sound like a square but if you're new to diving the Gulf is no place for a rookie.

There is a difference in making an assumption and asking a question such as: Are you new diving? or if your new to diving etc.... There is no need to "sound like a square" whereas he knew he sounded like a square and assumed that the poster was "new to diving". The response did not say new to diving in the gulf... No, big deal and I am sure that it was not intended it is how it was interpreted by the reader.

goofystan:

This is becoming humorous now, but "if" was the operative word, it doesn't seem as if he "assumed" this was a new diver, he said "if" you're new. Besides, assuming someone is a new diver is not a slam or put-down, good grief. New divers need love too! Reread and you'll see what I mean. Kinda shows how text can sometime be misunderstood, whereas the spoken word can show inflection and intent in a much more efficient way. I think this was a small misunderstanding and we have made way too much of it, LOL! Yall go diving, have fun, kiss and make up!

But, as for me...guess I'll go take another Vicodin now... :wink:

Foo

Ok,
Lets just put beside this pointless bickering, i'll admit I was wrong if Aggie Diver admits he was too quick to judge, and go back to the purpose of this thread. Besides, we're all here to come together as a group based on our simmilar hobbies, we arn't here to fight. I formally apologize, I was wrong.

I wasn't trying to judge. I was posting as someone with firsthand knowledge of what its like out there.

I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way but man take a look around. We're basically three weeks into the summer 2005 dive season and we've unfortunately lost 12 divers. That's 12 too many, the Gulf is an easy place for that number to grow.

I've been on trips in the Gulf, and have heard many stories of others with similiar experiences. You can get in a trouble out there in a hurry.

No disrespect was intended, but every year people come on here posting fresh out of their open water class thinking the Gulf should be their next destination.

I've known several divers who shunned similar advice and come back from rig/FG trips beaten and battered, some vowing to never go out there again and others saying they wished they had taken my advice.

When you go out there you roll the dice on the weather. Some days it's like glass and there's less current than your bath tub. Other days you're hanging on for dear life and the smart ones don't even get in the water.

Like I said, we've already lost 12 divers (and best I can tell at least half were experienced divers no less - even a couple of instructors), I'm sorry if you mistook my words of caution as some personal slight - they were never intended as such.

The fact of the matter is mother nature doesn't check your c-card when she decides your time has come. You asked for some free advice, I was just trying to give some. Sorry.

There, don't we all feel better? ;o) Thanks for acting like big boys.

lc, sounds like a Flower Gardens trip might be just what the dr. ordered (that is, if you enjoy reef diving, also?) Look at this offer by debraw, a scubaboard poster who also has a scuba shop (I am not in any way affiliated with SIS, I just happen to think she kicks tail with organizing trips and offering divers fun opportunities- I will join her on one of her excursions someday soon!) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1133261#post1133261 Anyway, the FG trips usually do some rig diving also, I think on the last day out. Just a thought.

Foo

Foo:
There, don't we all feel better? ;o) Thanks for acting like big boys.

lc, sounds like a Flower Gardens trip might be just what the dr. ordered (that is, if you enjoy reef diving, also?) Look at this offer by debraw, a scubaboard poster who also has a scuba shop (I am not in any way affiliated with SIS, I just happen to think she kicks tail with organizing trips and offering divers fun opportunities- I will join her on one of her excursions someday soon!) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1133261#post1133261 Anyway, the FG trips usually do some rig diving also, I think on the last day out. Just a thought.

Foo

Yea, hopefully I will get to go out on the 7-8th of July with sea sports scuba. Currenty I am on the waiting list to go. It took forever for my boss to approve of my vacation time. Well i'm number one on the list, but i'm not really sure how often people cancel.

lackingcreativity:
Yea, hopefully I will get to go out on the 7-8th of July with sea sports scuba.

Great minds think alike. :crafty: Have a super time, I'm jealous. That will probably be the best intro to Texas gulf diving (rig and reef) that you could have. I'm gonna make my first trip there, asap. Haven't signed up or anything, but it's definitely on my future itinerary.

Foo

Actually there are more day operators on the Gulf coast than you think.

Wolf Charters
Fish n Divers

dont know if Ultra Dive still operating. Went on a private boat with one of his former dm's a few weeks ago. He said Ultra Dive not going out. May be bad information though.

leiserom:
Actually there are more day operators on the Gulf coast than you think.

Wolf Charters
Fish n Divers

dont know if Ultra Dive still operating. Went on a private boat with one of his former dm's a few weeks ago. He said Ultra Dive not going out. May be bad information though.

Anyone ever used Wolf Charters ??

Back
Top Bottom