Rick Stanton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exerpted from November issue of Undercurrent:

The First PADI Medal of Valor. It’s to be awarded this month at the DEMA show in Las Vegas to cave divers Rick Stanton, John Volanthen, Richard Harris, Jason Mallinson and Chris Jewel Their joint efforts in the rescue of the Thailand soccer team from a flooded cave earlier this summer inspired PADI to establish the new award and to formally recognize one of the greatest moments in dive history

. . I just hope no one tells anyone where they can stick the medal.

rolls eyes, this is more about PADI finding an excuse to insert themselves (and their name) into something they know nothing about than actual recognition from a respected caving authority.

rolls eyes, this is more about PADI finding an excuse to insert themselves (and their name) into something they know nothing about than actual recognition from a respected caving authority.

You’re probably right...

Then I challenge the caving organizations to honour them, if they haven’t already done so. I know they were honoured back home by their local community. How about the caving organizations step up?

You’re probably right...

Then I challenge the caving organizations to honour them, if they haven’t already done so. I know they were honoured back home by their local community. How about the caving organizations step up?
1) This isn't a caving oriented board so you might want to push your award ideas somewhere else.
2) They aren't interested in your accolades anyway.
British divers who rescued trapped Thai boys from cave reject suggestions of knighthood | Daily Mail Online

1) This isn't a caving oriented board so you might want to push your award ideas somewhere else.
2) They aren't interested in your accolades anyway.
British divers who rescued trapped Thai boys from cave reject suggestions of knighthood | Daily Mail Online

1. I’m not “pushing” anything; it was a challenge for cave organizations to step up, if they so choose; it was an idea that came to mind after you suggested PADI’s ulterior motives, which I actually agreed with; I think a cave organization’s honour would mean more to them, simply because it would be bestowed upon them by a group of their peers.

2. They are British and they’re humble; they’re not going to say, yeah, honour me, I saved those kids for the honour; if an organization were to honour them (even if it was PADI), I’d think they’d be polite and accept if it fit within their schedule, and perhaps would be happy about it; they humbly rejected “the suggestion of knighthood”, they weren’t actually offered knighthood and then rejected it.

I know absolutely nothing about Mr Stanton or what he might like or not like. I will say that for myself, I love recognition as much as anyone might. But rather than recognition from a governing body, or a presentation on a stage, I like it best when someone says, “Dang, man. When I saw you do such and such, that was impressive.” Or a couple of buddies want to take me out to dinner to thank me for a volunteer job I did somewhere. Off the record peer recognition is where it is at for me.

Hopefully someone he knows and respects gives him a couple of, “Dude, they way you figured out for us to get those kids through restriction xxx, made it all happen.” Or “the gas planning you did for all of the transitions was spot on.” Or any other number of things I wouldn’t even know about.

When you’ve impressed the folks in the trenches with you, you’ve probably done something.

Excerpted from November issue of Undercurrent:

The First PADI Medal of Valor. It’s to be awarded this month at the DEMA show in Las Vegas to cave divers Rick Stanton, John Volanthen, Richard Harris, Jason Mallinson and Chris Jewel Their joint efforts in the rescue of the Thailand soccer team from a flooded cave earlier this summer inspired PADI to establish the new award and to formally recognize one of the greatest moments in dive history

Also mentioned here:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/tecrec....scuers-who-represent-divings-finest-hour/amp/
What if PADI offered them a medal and no one showed up to accept it...

What if PADI offered them a medal and no one showed up to accept it...

Two (Rick Stanton and Jason Mallinson) are coming to accept it on behalf of the group, according to the link. I’m sure PADI’s team have got things figured out before they announce such things.

Two (Rick Stanton and Jason Mallinson) are coming to accept it on behalf of the group, according to the link. I’m sure PADI’s team have got things figured out before they announce such things.
My wife made me remain a member until I got my 20 year pin. Then I left PADI. This year I left everyone.

Scubaboard took exception to my posting that Rick probably would not want to mentioned in the same sentence with PADI.
Here is what they sent me:
Your post in the thread Rick Stanton was deleted. Reason: Agency bashing
4 minutes ago

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom