Rick Stanton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrimixToo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am sure we all know the story of the Thai cave rescue, and the parts played by Richard Stanton and Jonathan Volanthen. Richard Stanton was quoted in Outside Magazine in the December 2018 issue on p. 90, and one part of what he said was:

"I don't have any certifications, but I've been diving for almost 40 years."

What would it take for the cave diving certification agencies to send him cards? Like, all of them that might be applicable? For free? How can we build a groundswell of support to make that happen? It seems like the very least we can do to recognize the achievements he's racked up.

I am pretty sure he will not care about the cards themselves, per se, but perhaps he would appreciate the recognition. Certainly, he deserves it.

He's got the best certification of all, the one between his ears.
Yeah, but it's not about that. It's about recognition, not about what we all know he can do.

As the plaintiff's attorney asks, "so Mr. Instructor, is it true you never once witnessed the victim in the water, never administered a single drill or skill, never even verified if he was of sound mind or body but still gave him a card stating to him, his family, cave sites and the world that he was a qualified cave diver?". "Your Honour, we have no further questions."

So I am sure we all know the story of the Thai cave rescue, and the parts played by Richard Stanton and Jonathan Volanthen. Richard Stanton was quoted in Outside Magazine in the December 2018 issue on p. 90, and one part of what he said was:

"I don't have any certifications, but I've been diving for almost 40 years."

What would it take for the cave diving certification agencies to send him cards? Like, all of them that might be applicable? For free? How can we build a groundswell of support to make that happen? It seems like the very least we can do to recognize the achievements he's racked up.

I am pretty sure he will not care about the cards themselves, per se, but perhaps he would appreciate the recognition. Certainly, he deserves it.
My understanding, and I am absolutely no expert, is that the thing that people do underground in the U.K. and the things that people in Mexico or Florida do underground are only similar is so far as they take place underground. There are no certifying agencies for what goes on in the UK (other than the business with two doctors and a padded cell of course)

Read up about the CDG. Cave Diving British Style (an essay) - Cave Diving Group

You could ask him imself by coming to Eurotek next month.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a damn about cards. (good for him)
But how does he get patches for his vest if he doesn't have any certification cards?!?!

Excerpted from November issue of Undercurrent:

The First PADI Medal of Valor. It’s to be awarded this month at the DEMA show in Las Vegas to cave divers Rick Stanton, John Volanthen, Richard Harris, Jason Mallinson and Chris Jewel Their joint efforts in the rescue of the Thailand soccer team from a flooded cave earlier this summer inspired PADI to establish the new award and to formally recognize one of the greatest moments in dive history

Also mentioned here:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/tecrec....scuers-who-represent-divings-finest-hour/amp/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom