Revo absorbent cloth in exhale lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not, and most likely never will, use cooper hoses. Many people like them but the extremely slim chance of them de-laminating and the inner core collapsing during a dive deters me. The exterior never seems to hold up without getting fuzzier than one of my cats either. The cost of them just seems stupid, especially if you are intelligent enough to have at least one more in your save a dive kit.
Have you any instances of Cooper hoses collapsing during dives that you could tell us? I ask as I have been diving with Cooper hoses since 2013 with zero issues.
Thanks

A well known documented incident is this one Warning: Cooper hoses - dangerous failure mechanism
There are others; but how many do you need?
Thanks for that, I noticed this incident 13 years ago. Regarding how many do I need, enough to indicate a failure rate. I was aware of that incident and this is all I can find. Hence the question.

Cathal

It happened to my buddy once but thankfully it was an easy bimble dive and was nothing more than ending the dive early. The only other incident was shown to me topside at a cave diving site. the diver discovered that morning doing the stereo check of the mushroom valves.

Absorbent cloth in Revo exhale lung...

More diving and more experimentation with a cloth in the exhale lung.

Have settled on using a half-sized cloth, rolling it loosely (i.e. short and fat). This is stuffed vertically in the very LHS of the exhale lung behind the cables. This has been very successful in absorbing gloop and drips and not pouring it back into the loop if going head down -- obviously to a certain extent.

I tried rolling a full-sized cloth and laying it horizontally in the exhale lung. Didn't have much success with this and for one dive the cloth had partially unravelled and was under the ADV. That was really disturbing as there's NO ADV shutoff on the Revo except for turning off the diluent (and loosing the wing's gas supply unless switched to offboard).

Have also had issues where the ADV/solenoid 'tray' needs to be twisted in the right direction to ensure the cables bend away from the ADV. Yes, it's bleeding obvious, but if you don't do that right-hand twist, it builds OK but the ADV sensitivity can change during the dive. (On one dive the cable was very close to the ADV when I opened the unit)

Bottom line: the ADV can occasionally fire/leak during deco, diluting the PPO2 requiring partial oxygen flushes especially with hypoxic mixes.

Am currently getting the components together for an external ADV shutoff. Will report back (there's some changes required to @beldridg's config description -- think his Revo's an earlier version with a different injection block style)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom