Restructuring Florida, Take Two...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver:
:confused: I Don't think You can PLEASE EVERYONE :swordfight:
Of course not.

This thread isn't meant to find the perfect solution, there are just too many different opinions out there.

It is meant to gather information about what is deemed important with regards to the Florida Conch Divers forum structure.

I too can't figure out where the FL Springs sub-forum falls into. There are springs all over Florida. (Just about every region mentioned)

However, I think everyone knows just one area as "cave country".

Doesn't matter to me if "caves" is added to the springs forum or not. Cavers know that caves are usually in the springs.

I really don't see a need for a separate central Florida forum. If one is diving in central Florida, it'll be in the springs.

mike_s:
I too can't figure out where the FL Springs sub-forum falls into. There are springs all over Florida. (Just about every region mentioned)

Exactly. If it's a spring and it's in Florida, it's in the springs forum.

I believe having an area designated "Central Florida" doesn't fit with the dive destination goal unless you talk about the springs there as being different than other places (my suggestion was a subforum for Central Florida Springs as a geographic dive destination). This goes back to the question of what is the goal of the split. Are we dividing this as dive destination, where we live, or social club? The best end result depends on clarifying what were looking for here.

Is this being done for people (outside the state) trying to find dive opportunities in a part of Florida they will be visiting? If so this has to be a geographic / dive destination split.

Is this for gathering people that live here to have closer ties? If so the split needs to be local club based with only active club subforums allowed.

I never felt lost when this was one forum and I could track everything I needed to know. Posts of a local interest nature do distract from "real" diving related threads. Maybe those who were getting lost were being hindered by the mix. Is this what is driving the split? The volume of posts was not so terrible, are we experiencing so many more now or do we anticipate so many more that we need to split. What are we trying to accomplish?

SeaYoda:
The volume of posts was not so terrible, are we experiencing so many more now or do we anticipate so many more that we need to split. What are we trying to accomplish?
We're just gathering information.

There are those who propose a split and there are those who want to keep it one forum.

For now, nothing has been decided.

No matter what the final structure will be, some members won't be happy.

El Orans:
No matter what the final structure will be, some members won't be happy.

True, but we are happy with the process. That goes a long way toward making us happy with the result even if the result is one with which we disagree.

Ditto what Walter said.

Walter:
Doesn't matter to me if "caves" is added to the springs forum or not. Cavers know that caves are usually in the springs.

I really don't see a need for a separate central Florida forum. If one is diving in central Florida, it'll be in the springs.

I agree... The only reason for a central florida sub-forum would be to either dive a spring, or to discuss a dive trip to another part of Florida perhaps? Or mabye a cutsie El Orans name for the cave/spring sub forum would be Central Florida Cavers ??

Add a big "me too" to Walter from someone whose entire career revolves around making electronic resources easy for people to find. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom