Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eggs with a green sauce and cheese on grilled ham with a side of tocino.

They serve cheese crisps on top.

pan tostada or tortilla also.

decent coffee and service

That looks amazing. What is it?
see above

I also really like el coctilito for breakfast
1724266735845.png

1724266772411.png

Let this Grizzled Old Cozumel veteran tell you about breakfast in Coz. I don't get there every month now but I cannot go home to Texas without JUEVOS MIGAS at LA Choza, which is my all time favorite restaurant in COZUMEL. Yes I have been to all the others mentioned, and we do now have a great selection compared to the food baren desert we had in the 90s, but La Choza remains the must go place for those in the know and locals. Also for dinner the Puerco in Tomate is the best.

good eats

Dave Dillehay

Let this Grizzled Old Cozumel veteran tell you about breakfast in Coz. I don't get there every month now but I cannot go home to Texas without JUEVOS MIGAS at LA Choza, which is my all time favorite restaurant in COZUMEL. Yes I have been to all the others mentioned, and we do now have a great selection compared to the food baren desert we had in the 90s, but La Choza remains the must go place for those in the know and locals. Also for dinner the Puerco in Tomate is the best.

good eats

Dave Dillehay
La Choza is one of my faves as well. For me it's their tropical fish filet - fish in mustard sauce - and their sopa de fideo (noodle soup).

Got to do the blue trick for lunch. Tortas and tacos only.

Do you mean Blue Taco Truck?

I returned yesterday from a total of eight days on the island, including arrival and departure. I was very happy to read this thread several times before and during my visit. My days usually consisted of two meals and some snacks. My breakfast consisted of a hard boiled egg and maybe some salami from the Mega. Other snacks were had on the boat (Julio Kin VIP). I tried Azul Madera, La Choza, Sereno, La Cocay, Noventa Y Tres, Casa Cuzamil and one other place (to be mentioned later).

I think I have been to La Choza before, but some of the restaurants look the same to me. That was probably my least favorite meal while visiting. I tried Sereno, but I didn't give it much of a shot because the potato and (chorizo??) dish filled me up. I was alone, so no sharing of plates. I tasted sausage in the dish, but there were definitely no chunks of it with the potatoes. It was good, and I would give it another try.

I made the mistake to stop by KUSAM Brewery while waiting for La Cocay to open. My big mistake was ordering the beer cheese. I couldn't come close to finishing it, and it filled me up more than I wanted. I should have stuck with pico de gallo. My bad. La Cocay was good, but I only had a couple of tapas plates. Even those I didn't finish, and bought them back for later. It was excellent, and I will go back.

Azul Madera was where I had a full main course meal. Eating all of it was a mistake because I stuffed myself. I guess I forgot that I had rented a condo with a full kitchen and could have had a nice lunch the next day. It was worth the trip.

My #2 favorite place was Noventa y Tres, which was a 12 minute walk from the condo (maybe fourteen minutes on the way back). I had three of their fairly small, but filling tacos: beef, suadero and compechano. The compechano was by far my favorite, but they were all great. I also had their mushroom quesodilla but I wasn't in love with that one.

My #1 spot wasn't listed in the list. They don't serve alcohol, and are only open for breakfast and lunch. On Sunday, Juan from the dive shop asked if I would mind going on the 10 AM boat instead of the 8:30 AM boat. I could have cared less so I agreed to the later boat. On my way back to Palmar Condos, I stopped at Coco Cafe and got a smoothie. OMG, that is the best smoothie I have had by far. I looked at the menu and decided to stop in for breakfast the next day. I got another smoothie and the egg croisandwich. It was awesome. The avocado they put on it was so tasty and the bacon was perfect. The smoothie was a little too much for the whole meal, and I couldn't finish everything. After diving, I went back for the same smoothie I had gotten the prior day. I swear I was losing weight up until this point. Tuesday was an early boat day, so I only got a smoothie when I returned. Now, the weight was coming back on. Wednesday was my day to head to CUN for the flight home. I got the eggs benedict which was very good, but they could have been more generous with the hollandaise sauce. I ended up paying for a little more. OH! I like the free filtered water they give you. No paying for bottles of water.

I had wanted to try New Especials, but google listed it was closed for my stay. Not sure if they were, but I will try it when I return.

Photos are of the view from the condo and Coco Cafe. SB wouldn't let me post more.

Attachments

• IMG_20240902_151720391.jpg
    IMG_20240902_151720391.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240902_084329364.jpg
    IMG_20240902_084329364.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240902_082626079.jpg
    IMG_20240902_082626079.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240902_082350100.jpg
    IMG_20240902_082350100.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1725389349523.jpg
    1725389349523.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 24
Our newest food find was a food court, Callejon de la Diaz, on Ave 10. It’s just south of Calle 3, right next door to the Santander bank.

Capo’s stand had the best burger I have had anywhere, including the States, in a very long time. Don’t know if it’s true but I heard they grind their own meat from sirloin instead of using the packaged meat everyone else uses. I score their burgers at a 6 out of 5.

Also in that food court La Tapatias de Cozumel had excellent Quesabirrias, like a quesadilla with birria and it included consommé on the side. I loved the flour hard shell ones over the soft shell. His birria is so good. I hear this is the second location with the first location being on Ave 20.

I also heard the Alfredo in the court was excellent but didn’t get to try it this time around. Have to save something for next time.

The menus and the quesabirria….
IMG_6476.jpeg

IMG_6478.jpeg
IMG_6479.jpeg
IMG_6477.jpeg

Our newest food find was a food court, Callejon de la Diaz, on Ave 10. It’s just south of Calle 3, right next door to the Santander bank.

Capo’s stand had the best burger I have had anywhere, including the States, in a very long time. Don’t know if it’s true but I heard they grind their own meat from sirloin instead of using the packaged meat everyone else uses. I score their burgers at a 6 out of 5.

Also in that food court La Tapatias de Cozumel had excellent Quesabirrias, like a quesadilla with birria and it included consommé on the side. I loved the flour hard shell ones over the soft shell. His birria is so good. I hear this is the second location with the first location being on Ave 20.

I also heard the Alfredo in the court was excellent but didn’t get to try it this time around. Have to save something for next time.

The menus and the quesabirria….View attachment 859945
View attachment 859946View attachment 859947View attachment 859948
Ramen-birria?

The menus and the quesabirria….View attachment 859945
View attachment 859946View attachment 859947View attachment 859948
I also really like the food court. Grouping multiple vendors together in a common courtyard creates competition in quality and cost. This is much like the Mercado and is becoming one of my favorite places for a quick bite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom