Rescue diver certification as a medical doctor: EFR needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call EFR what it really is (IIRC), a CPR course that pretends to include first-aid. I would expect a reasonable, non-practicing, retired psychiatrist (MD) to remember more first-aid than was presented in the EFR course I sat through.

Now if I was going to teach EFR (probably not since I had a hard time feeling the old ARC MultiMedia course was worth teaching - and this is even more watered down) I would EXPECT to take the instructors course before being authorized to teach it.

Last edited:
as I am a first responder and train first responders, my training (paramedic) far exceeds that required by my dive agency. so with proof of my training I was able to show equivalency to the standards. of course that was a dollar of mine that the dive agency did not get. :D

I am an ER doc, and have to keep ACLS and PALS and ATLS current. None of it was considered to substitute for EFR when we contacted PADI for my Rescue class. I had to take the EFR.

They accepted my ALS (UK version of ACLS) Instructor Certification as good. ACLS/ALS is far more comprehensive than an EFR/CPR course aimed at the layman. I cannot see a problem. However just being an MD or MBBCh or what ever is not a guarantee that you are competent in CPR as it is not necessarily part of the curriculum. You need some independent certification in EFR.....or that's how I see it.

I am an ER doc, and have to keep ACLS and PALS and ATLS current. None of it was considered to substitute for EFR when we contacted PADI for my Rescue class. I had to take the EFR.
stupid question - I am an ER pharmacist - (also have ACLS and PALS) - we also require you to have BLS (CPR) to take ACLS - do you know have that?

I have a different opinion. I have been a Nationally Registered Paramedic and NYS Paramedic for more than 30 years. I currently teach the EMT and the Paramedic program. I am also an instructor in multiple disciplines including American Heart Association BLS, ACLS and PALS. The ACLS and PALS courses are not first aid courses. A first aid course, while very basic, covers basic trauma care that is not touched on in these other courses. A skilled physician, nurse, pharmacist, etc. should be able to breeze through a first aid course but they should take one. I have responded to countless ambulance calls where a physician is present and they don't know what they are doing (specific to the nature of the call). Obviously an emergency medicine trained physicain has this body of knowledge but a general practitioner does not.

All this good information, yet the OP has never come back to SB since posting the question.

At least other folks are learning from it.

I have a different opinion. I have been a Nationally Registered Paramedic and NYS Paramedic for more than 30 years. I currently teach the EMT and the Paramedic program. I am also an instructor in multiple disciplines including American Heart Association BLS, ACLS and PALS. The ACLS and PALS courses are not first aid courses. A first aid course, while very basic, covers basic trauma care that is not touched on in these other courses. A skilled physician, nurse, pharmacist, etc. should be able to breeze through a first aid course but they should take one. I have responded to countless ambulance calls where a physician is present and they don't know what they are doing (specific to the nature of the call). Obviously an emergency medicine trained physicain has this body of knowledge but a general practitioner does not.

This makes sense. My wife was commenting that doctors receive such intensive overall training that doing CPR/first aid should be second nature. That makes sense too. I guess it depends on the doctor and how much basic reviewing they do. As I mentioned, if I were in serious trouble I'd probably want a Dr. present rather than a diver that's CPR certified.

Back
Top Bottom