Rescue diver certification as a medical doctor: EFR needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re TSandM and her response -- she is incorrect -- I was permitted to use her ACLS card as proof of current CPR/EFR.

BUT, and this may be why she responded as she did, even though she has all that and has been doing ER work for 20+ years, including teaching residents and PAs, she can not get her EFR Instructor Rating without taking the EFR Instructor course.

Which is why I gave up teaching CPR, and First Aid for any agency a long time ago. Even though I am a professional in the field and at the time was PERFORMING CPR on a nearly weekly basis, the hassle of the instructor and agency specific renewal requirements made it almost time prohibitive to continue. It wasn't the actual class time that was the problem, it was finding a compatible time and place so I could attend. If you teach enough classes it is worth it, but for the person volunteering their time to teach these skills, it is hard to justify. I still teach, but generally to the Boy Scouts, where they don't get a certificate (only a merit badge FWIW), but do get very valuable life skills.

A question on this subject--Its a question so no right or wrong answer.
Given that the point of the EFR training is to be first responder in very specifically Dive incidents doesn't it stand to reason that even a practicing EMT or medical doctor who doesn't have dive specific education still requires the training to deal with those specific issues?
Lung over expansion injuries or the bends aren't injuries you are likely to be trained or experienced in dealing with are they?

Given that the point of the EFR training is to be first responder in very specifically Dive incidents doesn't it stand to reason that even a practicing EMT or medical doctor who doesn't have dive specific education still requires the training to deal with those specific issues?
Lung over expansion injuries or the bends aren't injuries you are likely to be trained or experienced in dealing with are they?
Valid question.
Unfortunately the EFR course (at least as it was just a few years ago) does not cover DCI.
The DAN Oxygen Provider course addresses dive related issues.
(I used to teach them both.)

EFR is not presented IMO by PADI as something specific to diving. It is supposed to just be a general course for any situation whether diving or not. Procedures re barotraumas, DCS, O2 in near drownings, etc. are taught in the Rescue Course itself. I would assume that is why PADI accepts CPR/First Aid certs. from organisations other than it's own EFR.

As an EMT (Fire/Rescue) it always was kind of a running joke how doctors and nurses who are bystanders at an 'emergency scene' often have very little idea how to perform in the field, without the equipment, personnel, and protocols of a medical facility.

No disrespect to their very high levels of skill, but it is a very different context. Some will willingly acknowledge that.

Taking a basic course could help them understand the limitations of working in the field, and also get them "on the same page" as the other first responders they may dive-training with, or someday be assisting in an actual emergency.

My curriculum for advanced care paramedic involved modules on decompression and altitude sickness. (Helpful on the prairies :wink:)
I also have various skills available to me that include decompression of the chest if a tension pneumothorax is suspected. Certainly not used often but can be a life saving skill when required.

Last edited:

My EMT course had a unit on barotrauma and dive related injuries. Also included was the different effect of salt versus fresh water should water get into the lungs - they have different effects on the alveoli and surfactant, or, at least that was the theory at the time...

MT

Hopefully the OP comes back to look at the discussion! Hasn't been back on SB since the question was asked.

Great discussion though.

Agreed. My EMT course even back in the 80's included salt and fresh water drownings and some decompression illness management.

Hopefully the OP comes back to look at the discussion! Hasn't been back on SB since the question was asked.

Great discussion though.

He's a busy doctor. Too busy to be bothered with this trivial EFR stuff, apparently.

In the time a medical professional could spend getting the requirement waived through official channels, he or she could have taken the EFR class and been done with it, and felt good about the opportunity to pass on some enhanced knowledge to classmates. EFR takes, what, three hours?

Back
Top Bottom