Rescue Cert, is it truly a must have cert, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Rescue Diver is a week long course plus the EFR course of another day. Solo Diver is a two day workshop where you demonstrate your self reliant skills.

They are nothing like the same thing.

I devised my own solo rescue course conducted here and similar over a number of years solo

378 1dead525aec00aa61224d96eea62429e_2048X1152 (6).jpeg

without any gear redundancy but plenty physical and mental and I'm still here so have I passed

For now

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Rescue Diver is a week long course plus the EFR course of another day. Solo Diver is a two day workshop where you demonstrate your self reliant skills.

They are nothing like the same thing.
The "week long" versus "two day"... I don't think there's a specified number of days for either. The rescue course has some classroom work, optional pool work (to practice skills and scenarios...) and then a list of scenarios and skills that have to be completed in open water. This can be done in less than a week or stretched out over a couple weeks. EFR is required and separate, can usually be done in one day (but doesn't have to be.)

I don't know the specifics of the solo diver course, but I'm sure it's more than a "workshop". And I'm sure there is quite a bit of instruction involved, not simply a diver demonstrating skills.
As

Like any advanced cert, you’ll learn something new, the RD cert was my fav add on to date.

If you continue diving long enough, you will end up needing the skills taught in a Rescue class.
First dive after my wife and I took PADI Rescue we needed it. Very glad that we had it, a great course.
When we show up at a dive shop on a diving trip the only cards we present are Rescue and Nitrox. That's all we feel they need to know about our diving skills.

I don't know the specifics of the solo diver course, but I'm sure it's more than a "workshop". And I'm sure there is quite a bit of instruction involved, not simply a diver demonstrating skills.
As
Nope.

Solo is a two day "event" in which you must have demonstrable skills to a level that shows your solo diver credentials. There's no time to learn and perfect significant new skills. Given that diving solo relies upon your skills, that means you've already got them as a pre-requisite to the course.

Thus it's a workshop, not a course.

I highly recommend the rescue course. It was the one I was most tired after, but the one I am most glad that I took, and I take CPR and ACLS every two years. It makes you a better scuba diver for your community and for yourself.

You asked a question, almost everyone told you that Rescue is an essential course, and you're arguing that? Why'd you ask the question? You got the correct answer.

The rescue course is an oxymoron. Learn CPR, first aid, and some basic techniques used by firefighters. Most of the rescue techniques are passive.

Nope.

Solo is a two day "event" in which you must have demonstrable skills to a level that shows your solo diver credentials. There's no time to learn and perfect significant new skills. Given that diving solo relies upon your skills, that means you've already got them as a pre-requisite to the course.

Thus it's a workshop, not a course.
Good to know, I wasn't aware of the structure or requirements of the course. So it's more of a "bring your skills with you, we'll certify that you're okay to dive solo, that you know the standards and procedures, and we'll give you a card."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom