Rescue Cert, is it truly a must have cert, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I strongly recommend Rescue and DAN Oxygen Provider. Makes things safer for both you and any buddy(ies) you might be diving with.

In fact, I strongly recommend OW, then Rescue, and then DAN O2--in that order.

rx7diver

EFR before rescue.

EFR before rescue.
CPR was part of my daughter's OW course (and mine, too). Sometimes it's part of a rescue course.

I am attempting to arrange renewing my DAN O2 certs right now. My CPR (with AED) is quite old. The DAN instructor has offered to recertify me in these, too.

But, yes. Consider CPR at the top of the list.

rx7diver

Everyone (probably literally) on SB will advise to take Rescue. Thing is you get specific info. on exactly how to react in emergencies (steps to take, in order, etc.), what not to do, and how to anticipate and prevent incidents. I have yet to be in a position to use these steps, knock wood. You could also just buy the manual (can you still buy paper?) and study the procedures. Agencies recommend against that but who cares-- at least you have some knowledge of the skills/steps.
How do you safely bring an unconscious diver to the surface (assuming he's alive) without making him worse? How do you tow an unconscious diver the best way to shore if your 5 minutes away? Differently if you're 20 minutes out? These aren't things you can just pick up by getting a lot of diving experience.
I equate the Rescue Manual to the OW one it that there's probably the same amount of steps & procedures to learn.

I see, deep, AN/DP, extended range, wreck and advanced wreck with penetration, in my progression.
Rescue is a prerequisite for PADI's version of AN/DP (Tec 40/45) and consequently their version of extended range (Tec 50). I'd also think normoxic trimix (Rescue prereq with PADI) would be a good idea if you're planning to penetrate wrecks.

So at least one major agency thinks it's a good idea. TBH, the focus of Rescue is broadening your awareness beyond just yourself. That's going to be VERY useful for the things on your roadmap. Not to mention the EFR/O2 procedures. Your buddy may appreciate it if something goes wrong on a deco dive.

I would guess you're planning to jump over to TDI. Do they require it? No, but it's still a really good idea.

I have an upcoming opportunity to volunteer for a diving organization, doing what I think will be really fun work. One of their requirements is that volunteer divers take the rescue, CPR/AED, and O2 provider courses, which I never intended to take otherwise. But, requirements are requirements, so I did them over the last 6 or 8 weeks, under the impression that I might be just putting another dollar in to get my boxes checked.

And you know what, I had a great experience and learned a lot. Much more than I did in the AOW course a few years back, and for comparable cost and time. I'd highly recommend all 3 of these courses, whether they tick some box for you or not. YMMV, but I haven't talked to anyone who walked away from the rescue course without a new perspective.

Thoughts on Rescue; must have cert or not? I have chosen to go a different route. I have no desire to go for MSD, as it seems like any 5 certs can get it for you, althpough, one of them must be Rescue. Not planning on going the DM route, as Rescue is also a pre req. I see, deep, AN/DP, extended range, wreck and advanced wreck with penetration, in my progression. Currently PADI AOW & SDI Solo. I will be 61 this year, taking up scuba just before my 59th b-day. I dive a lot. I just have no desire to take the Rescue course.

Rescue teaches you things you will not learn in the other courses. You do not need Deep if you are doing the TDI ANDP.
Is rescue a worthwhile course to do, yes of course. EFR is useful not only for diving but for any emergency.

As many already said it's not required but it's together with the EAN course the two courses i highly recommend everyone that's diving to do. You learn so much in that course and get put in situations you hope you never end up in outside a class, but if you do you at least know more to take good decisions.

The Rescue course truly is one you wish you had if something goes wrong.

Cheers!

Thoughts on Rescue; must have cert or not? I have chosen to go a different route. I have no desire to go for MSD, as it seems like any 5 certs can get it for you, althpough, one of them must be Rescue. Not planning on going the DM route, as Rescue is also a pre req. I see, deep, AN/DP, extended range, wreck and advanced wreck with penetration, in my progression. Currently PADI AOW & SDI Solo. I will be 61 this year, taking up scuba just before my 59th b-day. I dive a lot. I just have no desire to take the Rescue course.
I found it to be the best PADI course I took by a long way. It’s the first course that gets you thinking of others rather than yourself. A mix of different skills mostly making you a better, more rounded diver.

Personally I’d expect people to have Rescue prior to progressing beyond recreational limits, e.g. ANDP.

Back
Top Bottom