Rescue Cert, is it truly a must have cert, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is often stated on Scuba Board when discussing training agencies that the instructor is more important than the agency.

This is even more true with Rescue Diver certification....it is really only worth doing if you can find an instructor who runs a high quality course.

While quality instruction is important in all dive training, it is even more imperative with Rescue training because the focus of the training is not on the individual being trained but instead creating a toolbox of skills and developing an awareness of the other divers in one's environment.

Half-arse instruction will still result in certification but the certification will ultimately be meaningless.

Spend your time finding a quality instructor...ask for references and contact them with some focused and pertinent questions on how the course went and what could have been better. Don't settle for mediocre instruction because Rescue should be a phenomenal course that should both test and stretch your ability and competence.

-Z

I don't think the having the cert in iteself is important. Having EFR and rescue skills however is. I never did rec rescue (no cert), but did practice rescue skills in my tech training. Did EFR as a separate course.

It gave me confidence tot do more advanced dives, knowing what to do when things go not as planned. I also have a first aid kit and oxygen kit with me when I go diving and know how to use them.

Here's the way I think about Rescue:

If I were to get into some sort of accident / incident / trouble / distress on a dive, would I want my buddy to be Rescue trained?

I think the answer is always: Yes!

I think every diver should take rescue. In the same way I think everyone who does any watersports should be lifesaving trained. I used to teach lifesaving courses that were very similar to rescue without the Scuba specific parts.

Currently PADI AOW & SDI Solo. I will be 61 this year, taking up scuba just before my 59th b-day. I dive a lot. I just have no desire to take the Rescue course.
Rescue is very useful, although portions of the course can be physically demanding. If the physical demand is your concern, consider taking the course... or at the very least, buy the book... and learning what there is to learn, whether or not you finish all of the requirements. It will change the way you approach diving and make you a better diver. And you might find that if you start the course, you really get into it, you appreciate the value... and you finish it.

Consider also that students in the rescue course will tend to be more motivated and better skilled than previous classes. They are the students that want to progress. And the rescue class involves a lot more interaction between students, through the rescue scenarios, so camaraderie is much stronger in this course than in other courses.

I still have strong memories of my rescue course, many years ago.

Consider also that students in the rescue course will tend to be more motivated and better skilled than previous classes
I opted for SDI Solo. Self rescue being a part of that. Ya gotta be motivated, to want to take a Solo or Self Reliant course. Skills should be pretty darn good too. 60 dives to take Rescue, 100 for Solo.

.... I have no desire to lug someone out of the water (in a not real situation) at my age. I have bad knees and a bad back.

Talk to the instructor, accommodations are made for a divers issues. The idea is to prepare you to help in the event of an emergency, not to necessarily do it all yourself. There are a lot of details need to be addressed during an emergency, one doesn't need to do the heavy lifting to be an asset.

TBH, the focus of Rescue is broadening your awareness beyond just yourself. That's going to be VERY useful for the things on your roadmap.
^ This.

As I learned in day 1 of my class, the best rescue is one that never happens. The development of situational awareness to not let it happen is a great part of the class...

Knowing what to do if/when it does is the other part of the puzzle.

^ This.

As I learned in day 1 of my class, the best rescue is one that never happens. The development of situational awareness to not let it happen is a great part of the class...

Knowing what to do if/when it does is the other part of the puzzle.
Situational awareness, was a big part of my Solo course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom