Replacing vs Rebuilding Tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding, and it could be wrong, is that when my LDS sends the tank off for hydro, they do the VIP upon return. I assume they would catch a wet tank. If you find it wet, then what do you do about it?
If I found it wet, I'd blow it dry with a long air gun off a scuba tank w/ dry scuba air, w/ first stage reg on it and check for excess surface corrosion. If seen, probably whip it out. Unless you're set up to inspect and clean tanks, you may not likely have those tools handy though.

I've watched my hydro shop do its thang. Almost all of what they do is steel fire extinguishers and the machine that grabs it up off the hydro tank holds it inverted and blows it out really well with a good blast of pressure. After about a 30 second blast they are usually bone dry. Plus mine are AL so they won't rust. I've had almost three dozen of my tanks come back from them in the last 18 months - never encountered any tank coming from them wet. Usually even pretty shiny insides.

And yes, VIP is required AFTER hydro. (And during hydro, but I seriously doubt the hyudro folks would have any idea what to look for in scuba tanks (particularly WRT neck cracking or some corrosion patterns to look for - they are primarily focusing on testing the elasticity of the tank so would likely catch BIG defects, but smallthings PSI has us checking in detail for? When they have 75 tanks on the floroto get through hydro today???). But yes, your LDS should note and fix wet tanks and any powdery interior surface rust when doing the VIP. Some folkses are of the opinion that the LDS VIP is nothing more than Cleet looking at the tank and saying' "Yep. Look like a tank to me and I don't see any woodpecker holes so ...." and slapping a sticker on it. I don't subscribe to that program. But if your experience with your shop reflects that process ..... I'd find a new shop. But YMMV.

I'm serious, but then you probably are as well. I have a number that I've accumulated and they are sitting in a box in the garage. I plan to go through them this weekend. For the cost of shipping, I am happy to mail them to a fellow SBer who wants them.
If they're not taken yet, I'll take them as long as you can send in a USPS flat rate box.

I tend to rebuild manifolds but replace valves.

Add me to the list of (I stopped rebuilding valves@15yrs). It was so easy to rebuild{youtube it}.
But the prices of valves like @tbone1004 said, are so cheap, I now just throw the previous ones in the trash at Hydro Time,, even if they work perfectly.
I'd take all your valves too!

If they're not taken yet, I'll take them as long as you can send in a USPS flat rate box.
This is the most sensible!

They are not really that hard to rebuild.

Glad to see people reusing them.

To be clear I am not even close to a tree hugger.
But it bugs me to see good valves getting tossed, especially if it doesn't even hit the brass scrap bin.
Everyone pretends they are all environmentally concerned. But it's mainly fake.

This is the most sensible!
Since you’re local, I have these in my parts bag if you need them. I’m not using them. Free to good home…
47F2B556-0388-4714-8D4D-33F82634AEA1.jpeg

You could keep a spare set of valves and rebuild the ones off the tank at your leisure and swap it out and alternate it every Hydro.

That's a great process if one cares to do it themselves. Many of us who know how to just don't care to. My time is far more valuable to me than spending it on valve rebuilds. But for those who wish to do so, it's not hard and your approach is a great way to go about it. When I'm fully retired and have more time (yea, right!), maybe I'll start doing my own again. Who knows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom