Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am certain that incidents of theft and burglary are much higher than the police/crime websites are reporting. Police will be called for expensive damages such as a broken window, damaged gas line, stolen battery etc. How many people are going to file a police report for stolen flip flops, shirts, towels etc.? On a vacation to Curacao it was obvious that our car was pilfered through and sunglasses stolen. Am I going to spend my vacation filing a police report aggrieving my damages to officials whom are completely indifferent if not apathetic? Absolutely not!

I'm 48 years old, have lived all over the United States but not Atlanta and have never had a window smashed on one of my cars in 30 years of ownership.

Your experiences aren't the typical American experience, so now I can see how you're so accepting of crime, Bonaire must seem like a security zone compared to living in the hell hole you're experiencing in Atlanta. Now that we know that you are living an atypical lifestyle, I get it. Let's just let you know that the vast majority of people aren't living like you are and certainly don't expect to be victimized, their expectations are the opposite to not be victimized, robbed, held at gun point etc...

Fair enough--I do seem to have lived in a couple of places with more crime than average for the US, I guess, or at least more vehicle break-ins. As I said earlier, I'm probably more desensitized to crime and especially vehicle break-ins than most visitors to Bonaire. Still, I don't think I'm desensitized just by my experiences where I live; I think I get my impression of how dangerous the world is from my experiences elsewhere--places I've traveled, for example. There have been other places where I was warned not to leave a rental vehicle unattended, for example.

I have to wonder if Bonaire visitors' "expectations"--which have led to so much bad press here and on Tripadvisor, Undercurrent, etc.--are based in part on a nostalgic feeling for what Bonaire is "supposed to be like" in their minds rather what much of the Caribbean is in reality like (or becoming) today. I only first visited Bonaire about six years ago, so I can only guess based on what others have said what it was like before that and how it is changing. I think many people want to believe Bonaire is different from the other islands--a less-touristed hideaway. And it seems to me it may very well have been like that for a long time. It sure still feels like a less-touristed hideaway to me. You don't have donkeys roaming around Cozumel. It's hard to compare Bonaire's crime figures to, say, Cozumel's, even if one were to exclude the stats on truck crime on Bonaire. Can we really just extrapolate from the number of visitors and then point the finger at Bonaire and ask why they can't police themselves as well as Cozumel? The populations, economy, and everything are just so different. Mexico is a pretty advanced place with a lot of experience attempting to fight crime. Bonaire is hardly sure who their government is. Might, say, Roatan be a better comparison? Crime has been increasing there, too, from what I've read and heard. That's all I've got this morning--really nothing that hasn't been said previously.

A troll is somehow who you don't agree with when you've run out of actual arguments to make :tongue:

Trolling is what you do when you have long long ago run out of anything new to add, but want to keep the fight going, of keep :gas: and :soapbox: long after everyone has made their point and moved on.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 01:14 PM ----------

It is not the words of someone else that make a person a troll, but rather their own actions and words. The same goes for the :dramaqueen:

Trolling is what you do when you have long long ago run out of anything new to add, but want to keep the fight going, of keep :gas: and :soapbox: long after everyone has made their point and moved on.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 01:14 PM ----------

It is not the words of someone else that make a person a troll, but rather their own actions and words. The same goes for the :dramaqueen:
Yes, but what you describe is not what constitutes a troll. I wish people would stop using that word when they don't understand what it means.

You are the one who misused, or misunderstood the word.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

A troll is somehow who you don't agree with when you've run out of actual arguments to make :tongue:

See above.

A troll is also somebody who has to keep posting in a thread to make sure everyone else knows that nobody should be posting in it anymore.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 12:09 PM ----------

I have to wonder if Bonaire visitors' "expectations"--which have led to so much bad press here and on Tripadvisor, Undercurrent, etc.--are based in part on a nostalgic feeling for what Bonaire is "supposed to be like" in their minds rather what much of the Caribbean is in reality like (or becoming) today.

Man, you were doing so good up til that! :D

I don't think it's as perplexing or mysterious as you're trying to make it.

I think it simply comes down to that most people just don't expect that having their stuff stolen as being normal or more importantly acceptable, be it Bonaire or anywhere for that matter. I don't think it's much more difficult than that for most of us.

You are the one who misused, or misunderstood the word.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

See above.
i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun
[COLOR=#878787 !important]noun: irony[/COLOR]

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

sar·casm
    ˈsärˌkazəm/
    noun
      the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom