Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some varied thoughts from reading over the thread.

1.) The prospect of someone breaking into one's room is frightening. I don't see any disagreement with that. It applies everywhere, including at home. It would be interesting to know how frequent this is in Bonaire, since it can occur anywhere one stays, and relative and absolute risk is needed to make a judgment call about how big an issue this is.

2.) The prospect of a truck being vandalized in a way that disables it (e.g.: gas siphoned, battery stolen), leaving the diver stranded, likely at a remote site, is alarming and very bad news. It's my understanding this is rare, but again, 'How Rare Is It?' is the big question.

3.) As for local petty thieves routinely inspecting trucks for personal items, this is a well-known and at least 'not uncommon enough' problem to warrant establishing a dive work flow where you don't leave valuables in the truck while you're off diving. Many of us don't find this to be a major challenge.

Yes, it's still morally wrong for someone to steal your stuff, even if you left an obvious valuable out in plain sight in defiance of customary caution.

No, in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to worry about someone stealing your stuff. I should be able to nail a $100 bill to a tree by the side-walk on a busy street for a week and nobody steals it, but I don't do that. Similarly, I try not to leave valuables in rental trucks at dive sites in Bonaire.

Some people seem determined that they will, or strongly want to, 'take more' in the truck and leave it in at dive sites while diving (e.g.: digital camera for land shots, coverup since some people want to go into town & are disagreeable to doing so in their swim wear or wet suit for whatever reason, cooler of food/drink, towels, etc...). In Bonaire, this is not a wise thing to do. You can fuss, cuss, scream your rage from the roof tops or whatever vents your spleen, but it is what it is. It's not right, but it is reality. This seems to really bother some people and hardly faze others.

4.) I don't want locals hitting me up to guard my truck during dives. I would suspect I was being threatened with a protection racket. And for some of us who aren't 'people people,' the prospect of trying to hire some old local, carry him along, feed him and basically have to deal and interact with him over the days would be very off-putting.

5.) I've historically liked the idea of sting operations to catch thieves with decoy trucks. On the other hand, a big increase in police presence would create more public ill will and concern about crime, not less. Here's how I think that would work.

-----1.) You start up your sting operation. Some thieves get nailed, something dreadful (er, 'deterring') is done to them, the rate of truck pilfering drops significantly...but not completely.

-----2.) If everyone would continue as they have been, this would be good news. Problem is, they won't.

-----3.) Some (thankfully not all) of those people I mentioned earlier, who seem bent on taking personal valuables & leaving them in the rental trucks during dives, would perceive less risk and start doing so.

-----4.) Some them would get such items stolen. This could add more cases of theft of items, cases that would not have happened if people had followed recommendations & not left valuables in the truck during dives.

-----5.) Here & elsewhere, they post about how their $400 digital camera and so on & so on got stolen out of a truck shore diving Bonaire, and why isn't there more of a police presence, and so on.

6.) I don't see the need for the government to have the shattered glass at a few sites cleaned up. I like how it reminds people that they ought to leave their doors unlocked and windows down, like they were told.

In summary, when you shore dive in Bonaire, excepting a cheap left-over soda bottle filled with water, a couple of old rags or cheap flip flops/sun glasses you can live without, don't leave your stuff in the truck and odds are quite strong you will be fine.

In the hopefully rare event someone steals your battery or tires, stranding you somewhere, I can understanding wishing police would hunt him down and strap him to a flogging post. And if someone breaks into your room, I hope you've got a nice bludgeon of some sort and drop him before he does any harm. Both instances entail evil acts I think all of us would want to see stopped. But that's everywhere, not just Bonaire.

Richard.

Thank You, Richard.

'nuff said. Thread over.

Atlanta is definitely not Rochester, MN. But then again, I experienced a lot of crime when I lived in San Diego, too. Several friends had their cars broken into over the years. My roommate's car was broken into the driveway of our house, in a supposedly nice neighborhood. People often did not lock their car doors for the very reason it's not recommended in Bonaire. They installed removable car stereos and took those with them, too. So far, from what I've read on those Bonaire police blotter reports, the crime in Bonaire is not anything I haven't lived with before. Granted, Bonaire is small and sparsely populated, and so maybe the crime level is out of whack with the population--I don't know. It just doesn't impress me as being horrific yet.

since you cite anecdotal evidence of your friends and roommate, I can only assume that your car has never been broken in to. Yet you describe the break-ins as routine and Atlanta as uncivilized?

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 08:51 AM ----------

Yeah. Did it ever occur to you because it is actually safe to do so on Bonaire? That the odds that the person will beat and rob you are very, very small, certainly much smaller than anywhere in the US.

No, of course not. Shocking as it is; as destructive to your opinion, Crime is very low on Bonaire.

I've noticed that you have claimed this a few times, and I don't know enough about it to either agree with it or refute it. However, I read a lot of forums on Scubaboard, and I have never seen a vacation destination where there are more complaints about crime. Do you have any thoughts on why that is? Are people that go to Bonaire a bunch of whiners?

Many people go to Cozumel each year, and I have some threads about crime there. I believe one thread involved being robbed at gunpoint during a stroll off of the resort grounds. However, I don't see these nearly to the extent that it happens on Bonaire.

When you say "very low", that would imply to me that it is almost non-existent, but that doesn't seem to jive with what I've read on SB. I wouldn't use the phrase "very low" to describe the crime in Cozumel either, but my impression is that it is lower than Bonaire.

since you cite anecdotal evidence of your friends and roommate, I can only assume that your car has never been broken in to. Yet you describe the break-ins as routine and Atlanta as uncivilized?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, in the (I guess it's been 14 years now--hard to believe) I've lived in Atlanta, my car has had its side windows smashed three times. It happened once while parked on the street and I was inside a restaurant a couple of blocks away. It happened twice at night while parked in my condo building's supposedly secure, gated lot with climb-resistant fence. (Best guess is the perps entered surreptitiously while the gate was closing behind someone driving out of the lot.) My neighbors have been hit that way as well. After that, I definitely considered adopting the leaving-it-unlocked approach that I had learned from my days in California. None of my neighbors has been hit in a few years, so I am hopeful that maybe it's a sign of improving conditions--who knows. As I also mentioned earlier in this thread, I was held up at gunpoint within two weeks of moving to Atlanta. Granted, I had exercised poor judgment in pulling into a gas station with dim lighting on a dodgy street.

As I have said, I personally don't feel the crime level in Bonaire is much worse than what feels to me like a background noise level of crime (I hesitate to use the word "normal") here at home and in other US cities and abroad. If I fell prey to criminal activity in Bonaire, I suppose I would weigh the impact of the incident against the enjoyment I get out of Bonaire in deciding whether to return. I suppose a serious enough incident might very well deter me. But something like simple theft without threat of bodily harm probably would not deter me.

Oh, oh, I know!

Two words: shore diving.

Think about it.

I do a lot of shore diving in Mexico, parking a rental car at a Cenote entrance, never been broken into once. I'm sure it happens, but I am pretty sure not to the extent that people complain about Bonaire.

I do a lot of shore diving in Mexico, parking a rental car at a Cenote entrance, never been broken into once. I'm sure it happens, but I am pretty sure not to the extent that people complain about Bonaire.
Maybe because shore diving in Bonaire is done to a much much larger extent than it is in Mexico or elsewhere?

Many people go to Cozumel each year, and I have some threads about crime there. I believe one thread involved being robbed at gunpoint during a stroll off of the resort grounds. However, I don't see these nearly to the extent that it happens on Bonaire.

When you say "very low", that would imply to me that it is almost non-existent, but that doesn't seem to jive with what I've read on SB. I wouldn't use the phrase "very low" to describe the crime in Cozumel either, but my impression is that it is lower than Bonaire.

Just to throw out some numbers- Cozumel receives about 4500% more visitors a year than Bonaire. Only about 70,000 people visit Bonaire versus over 3 million visit Cozumel in a year.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, in the (I guess it's been 14 years now--hard to believe) I've lived in Atlanta, my car has had its side windows smashed three times. It happened once while parked on the street and I was inside a restaurant a couple of blocks away. It happened twice at night while parked in my condo building's supposedly secure, gated lot with climb-resistant fence. (Best guess is the perps entered surreptitiously while the gate was closing behind someone driving out of the lot.) My neighbors have been hit that way as well. After that, I definitely considered adopting the leaving-it-unlocked approach that I had learned from my days in California. None of my neighbors has been hit in a few years, so I am hopeful that maybe it's a sign of improving conditions--who knows. As I also mentioned earlier in this thread, I was held up at gunpoint within two weeks of moving to Atlanta. Granted, I had exercised poor judgment in pulling into a gas station with dim lighting on a dodgy street.

As I have said, I personally don't feel the crime level in Bonaire is much worse than what feels to me like a background noise level of crime (I hesitate to use the word "normal") here at home and in other US cities and abroad. If I fell prey to criminal activity in Bonaire, I suppose I would weigh the impact of the incident against the enjoyment I get out of Bonaire in deciding whether to return. I suppose a serious enough incident might very well deter me. But something like simple theft without threat of bodily harm probably would not deter me.

I will agree that crime in Atlanta seems to be much, much higher that Rochester, MN :) I probably still wouldn't use terms like "routine" and "uncivilized" to describe it though.

I hadn't considered the relative comparison before though. Since crime is much more common in your area of Atlanta than in Rochester, we probably have different tolerances. I am not at the point where I would avoid Bonaire at all costs and would probably go if the opportunity presented itself but it isn't at the top of my list mostly due to my perception of the crime.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2014 at 09:51 AM ----------

Maybe because shore diving in Bonaire is done to a much much larger extent than it is in Mexico or elsewhere?

you're probably right, and now that I think about it, Cenotes were a bad example since most are privately owned, require entrance admission, and have staff on site :)

I'm 48 years old, have lived all over the United States but not Atlanta and have never had a window smashed on one of my cars in 30 years of ownership, an I the exception to the rule?

Your experiences don't seem to me to be the typical American experience, so now I can see how you're personally so accepting of crime, Bonaire must seem like a security zone compared to living in the hell hole you're experiencing in Atlanta. So you're living an atypical lifestyle, I get it but you must get it too that the vast majority of people aren't having the experiences you are and certainly don't expect to be victimized, surely you've got to know that their expectations are the opposite, that normal is to not be victimized, robbed, held at gun point etc... :idk:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom