Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently more than one person in the middle of it all is beginning to think the situation of the petty dive crime has been treated too lightly and now they are reaping what they've ignored:

So it sounds like the "tipping point" you mentioned many posts ago is being reached. Good! Maybe it will take a few years, but I have to believe the problem is on their radar and will be addressed in inevitably slow and bureaucratic fashion. In the meantime, I will continue to keep an eye on the crime reports. As for this year, what we perceive as the present level of crime is not deterring us from a possible October trip.

If anyone cares, here's the link to the source of the "made up police reports".
No one is say it's made up. Please don't make stuff up like Mike does, or post old stories that do not address the actual statistics of crime.

Mike, pointing out an increase is useless unless you can say what the numbers are. An increase from one to three is an increase, but not a high rate.

Im waiting on your proof that crime is high on Bonaire. Where is it? Is it because crime is not high, and your alarmist reactions are because your demands that paradise be perfect are not met?

Who cares how you spell apathy? Jeez.
What's interesting on the last story is how they failed to secure their doors. Is common sense that difficult to practice?

If anyone cares, here's the link to the source of the "made up police reports".

Here are a few additional made-up stories that I've also been following.

Trip report break in - Bonaire Forum - TripAdvisor

crime awareness reminder

2 Calls to Police in 24 Hours

Who cares how you spell apathy? Jeez.

I was doing a quick search last night on google about bonaire crime and it was kind of shocking how much reporting is going on all over the internet on different sources, just about every major and minor website associated with travel, not just diving had posts about people reporting being victimized, from trip adviser to fodors

I too have tried to stay out of this train-wreck, but just cant stand it anymore.

I believe the rate of 'crime' on bonaire is far greater than that reported to the PD. We've been going since the early 90's. We follow the theft-avoidance practices. I know our truck has been tossed on many many of our dives. Usually nothing stolen, but somebody other than me and my family moving our stuff around. Granted, only in a few instances has anything been taken, and gas hose cut and gas siphoned once, but that doesn't mean a 'crime' wasn't committed - the act of searching thru my stuff was a crime - I just didn't report it. Make no mistake, it pixxes me off mightily, but I'm not going to stew over it - just get my beer-goggles on for the green flash.

I haven't hit the tipping point yet. Bonaire remains safer than many other places one might go to dive, in spite of the annoying dive-site thievery. As long as it is confined to tossing my stuff and taking my swoosh-logo'ed flipflops ($9.99 at academy) I'm not going to let it ruin my trips.

Right now the steps we take to mitigate risk are sufficient for us. But we all know that criminals almost never de-escalate without outside motivation. It is only a matter of time until the annoying vehicle-crime turns into potentially-violent crime.

The day the thief steps out of the bushes to relieve me of my wet $20 bills as I get out of the water (and every thief knows that every diver has $/credit cards somewhere on their person) is the day my Bonaire trips end. And I really really hate the thought of getting back on a dive boat.

No one is say it's made up. Please don't make stuff up like Mike does, or post old stories that do not address the actual statistics of crime.

<snip...>

Im waiting on your proof that crime is high on Bonaire. Where is it? Is it because crime is not high, and your alarmist reactions are because your demands that paradise be perfect are not met?

You must be narced, or you're not actually reading the posts in this thread. Mike called my previously copied translation of the original Dutch reports a "made up police report". These aren't "old stories". They're recent first-hand reports.

I don't have expectations of perfection or paradise on Bonaire. Never have and never will. Like I said before I've been visiting regularly for 16 years and have 5 weeks booked on the island between now and the end of the year. It's not just a tourist destination for us. We also have dear friends who live and work on the island full time. I'm simply a realist who recognizes the trend of rising crime, understands some of the socioeconomic reasons why, has some facts to back it up, and takes issues with ignorant people like you who attempt to trivialize and/or normalize it.

Your repeated counterattacks on anyone who disagrees with your myopic opinions are tiresome.

Mike called my previously copied translation of the original Dutch reports a "made up police report". These aren't "old stories". They're recent first-hand reports.

I think you have the wrong guy. I'm the guy who has been saying all along that the petty crime is a problem and has acknowledge the addition of the more serious crimes going on in Bonaire.

If I called any stories of actual crimes made up I was only being sarcastic as a reaction to how a handful of people want to pretend nothing is going on there and they don't want to hear about or acknowledge facts such as police reports.

I think you have the wrong guy. I'm the guy who has been saying all along that the petty crime is a problem and has acknowledge the addition of the more serious crimes going on in Bonaire.

If I called any stories of actual crimes made up I was only being sarcastic as a reaction to how a handful of people want to pretend nothing is going on there and they don't want to hear about or acknowledge facts such as police reports.

I was referring to your post #160. I apologize if I missed intended sarcasm. It appeared to me that you were questioning the authenticity, and thus the relevance, of the translated police reports.

I see.

Nope, I'm on board with reality, I was just being sarcastic in regard to the continued denial by a handfull of people that anything is actually happening there. I posted that police report myself that shows quite a bit of nasty crime going on just over a few days.

Yes, the latest ones aren't any better either, apparently some people cut all the fuel lines of the trucks at a "tourist accommodation" . Very Disconcerting, we are set to arrive on May 23rd and are excited, but worry what will befall us.

I feel like it has either escalated the last few years or maybe I am just more aware. Having some sunglasses stolen from your truck is one thing, but having someone steal and burn out your truck or break into your accommodations while you are sleeping - those things can really wreak havoc on a vacation.

I don't "deny" crime is increasing on Bonaire. I just don't believe the level of crime is severe enough at present to deter ME from visiting, as the crime is not anything I would not expect in such a place. As they say, your mileage may vary--you can make your own decisions based on your own perspectives on what constitutes severe crime. It's sad that Bonaire apparently used to be some sort of idyllic haven that is increasingly losing its innocence. It's just like home now. Can I get a doberman with that rental house?

Back
Top Bottom