Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread seems to address the theft from trucks at the dive sites...to me the bigger concern on Bonaire is theft from rentals. I have been to Bonaire 10+ times and have "only" been the victim of a spare tire, a pair of shorts, and the bucket that we used to carry our gear to the truck. We then bought the tire back from a guy who seemed to have quite a racket going on selling tires back to their original owners. But that is another story. A bummer to lose these things...sure, but not a big deal in my eyes. Shrug it off and move on with the vacation.

My main concern when on the island is theft from where I am staying. We will not rent a house while on the island for this reason. The rental houses seem like prime targets for theft as the residents know which places are rentals and which are not. It seems that the thieves are so blatant that they break into the accommodations while the vacationers are SLEEPING. This is a major concern if you as me and far bigger of a concern then stolen shorts/flip flops. The big ticket items are guaranteed to be in the house and people are less likely to lock things up in the safes (if they even fit) since they are home. It's a buffet for the burglars.

I am in the process of planning a trip for a large group to go to Bonaire. Most people in our group want to rent a big house and it pains me to have to even tell them that it is probably not the best idea to rent a house. I have painted quite a beautiful picture of the island...it stinks to have to tarnish the image with the mention of the crime issue.

I try to deny to myself that there is a crime issue on Bonaire as the place is near and dear to my heart. But I would be misleading my friends if I did not tell them about the issues at hand. People deserve to know. Is it rampant, violent crime? Typically no...but does it exist...most definitely. To me, the amount of things listed in a police report is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it is there, there is no denying that.

How to stop it is anyone's guess. Much of the petty theft is done by kids. Throw the kids in jail? How long do you throw a kid in jail for for stealing flip flops? The local kids who get caught come out of jail smiling, like it is a badge of honor. This is not a deterrent.

Scott,

If you have a large group and everyone is on a little bit different schedule, someone may always be home. Maybe it would work out ok.

my money would be ex-military.
Uh...No.

The "there would be no criminals if there were no un-locked foot lockers", military dogma is extremely evident in your mentality and comes across loud and clear. Thanks for playing. The civilian world actually does have solutions.
Wow. You are so far off-base it's not even funny. What's wrong? You don't want to try to defend your contradictory theory?

It's telling that you'd rather engage in ad hominum attacks on what I do instead.

Sorry. You lose. You do not have a solution to the extremely rare criminal events.

We then bought the tire back from a guy who seemed to have quite a racket going on selling tires back to their original owners.
Then don't buy from him. Get it somewhere else.

My main concern when on the island is theft from where I am staying. We will not rent a house while on the island for this reason. The rental houses seem like prime targets for theft as the residents know which places are rentals and which are not. It seems that the thieves are so blatant that they break into the accommodations while the vacationers are SLEEPING.
The problem is that you're assuming this, based off one incident- where the occupants didn't even lock their door.

This thing occurs in the US too. Lock your doors, leave the valuables out of sight. Lock the windows at night. The same common sense measures you do at home.

I'd gladly rent a house. Any thieves would see the large group. You think a thief would rather target the house with two occupants, or the one with 10? 2 people can be threatened into submission if they awake. 10 people means someone will hear them break in, and 10 people= 1 butt-whopping. :D

No, I don't think that at all, and not sure where I gave you the impression that I did.

I meant costs for things like if the airport is going to collect the tax, I'm sure they would want to be paid for the effort, and the accountants would also want a piece of the pie.

I realize you can easily pick apart my examples, and I'm not really interested in defending them. My point is just that your tax idea seems a little to easy when boiled down to collecting money to pay to guards and give them a truck.

What you miss understand is it's already in place and already being done., that's what I'm referring to. I don't know of any countries off hand that don't already do the same thing. There is nothing new to do, no new expenses to keep doing what they've been already doing. Every country I know of collects a tourist departure tax either directly from you when you leave or it's already part of your airline ticket paid in advance. This tax isn't there because there is a direct costs to tourists running about the island and they need to recoup what you are costing them, it's there to raise revenue for the government to do with what it pleases.

I'll quote you the evidence, even though it's not required, like everything I've already said, if anything I've written in regard to the problem on Bonaire and the solution you disagree with or don't understand simply do the research yourself and you'll find, hot damn he is right!

A departure tax, also know as a Passenger Facility Charge (PFC), must be paid by all passengers departing Bonaire. The tax for all international destinations is USD $35.00 per person. Starting October 1st, 2010, the PFC will be included in all tickets purchased for travel on or after October 1, 2010, except for those traveling with DAE. Departure taxes to domestic destinations (Curacao, Sint Maarten, Saba, St. Eustatius, or Aruba) is $9.00 per person, except for those traveling with DAE. Note that in many cases the international tax FROM these locations may be already included in the ticket price for flights originating at those airports, so there's no need to pay for the international tax twice if connecting via a different airline in Curacao, Sint Maarten, or Aruba.
Children under 2 are exempt from the departure tax; children from 2 to 12 years old, as well as senior citizens 60 or older, receive a 50% discount on the tax.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 04:19 PM ----------

This thread seems to address the theft from trucks at the dive sites...to me the bigger concern on Bonaire is theft from rentals. I have been to Bonaire 10+ times and have "only" been the victim of a spare tire, a pair of shorts, and the bucket that we used to carry our gear to the truck. We then bought the tire back from a guy who seemed to have quite a racket going on selling tires back to their original owners. But that is another story. A bummer to lose these things...sure, but not a big deal in my eyes. Shrug it off and move on with the vacation.

My main concern when on the island is theft from where I am staying. We will not rent a house while on the island for this reason. The rental houses seem like prime targets for theft as the residents know which places are rentals and which are not. It seems that the thieves are so blatant that they break into the accommodations while the vacationers are SLEEPING. This is a major concern if you as me and far bigger of a concern then stolen shorts/flip flops. The big ticket items are guaranteed to be in the house and people are less likely to lock things up in the safes (if they even fit) since they are home. It's a buffet for the burglars.

I am in the process of planning a trip for a large group to go to Bonaire. Most people in our group want to rent a big house and it pains me to have to even tell them that it is probably not the best idea to rent a house. I have painted quite a beautiful picture of the island...it stinks to have to tarnish the image with the mention of the crime issue.

I try to deny to myself that there is a crime issue on Bonaire as the place is near and dear to my heart. But I would be misleading my friends if I did not tell them about the issues at hand. People deserve to know. Is it rampant, violent crime? Typically no...but does it exist...most definitely. To me, the amount of things listed in a police report is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that it is there, there is no denying that.

How to stop it is anyone's guess. Much of the petty theft is done by kids. Throw the kids in jail? How long do you throw a kid in jail for for stealing flip flops? The local kids who get caught come out of jail smiling, like it is a badge of honor. This is not a deterrent.

About 3 years ago there were a rash of break ins to tourists residences while they were sleeping, there were reports here on scubaboard and other boards of people describing the terror of waking up in the middle of the night to find somebody standing over their bed or rummaging through their possessions at 3 in the morning.

The best recommendation then and still now is to have people invest in a door wedge alarm, they cost about $15.00 they get wedge into the bottom of the door at night and if someone has a duplicate key to the room when they try to open the door they will alarm.

DOOR_WEDGE_ALARM_TVH3127_.jpg

Last edited:
I'll quote you the evidence, even though it's not required, like everything I've already said, if anything I've written in regard to the problem on Bonaire and the solution you disagree with or don't understand simply do the research yourself and you'll find, hot damn he is right!

No, you're not. A cop or two patrolling the dive sites will only deter theft for 2.4 minutes. The same amount that it takes them to drive past. And what about the one-way road? Once they past those, they have to go all the way around again- that takes at least 45 minutes.

Unless you station a cop at every one of the 60+ dive sites, during all hours of daylight, you won't stop crime. And that doesn't deal with the alleged "rash" (i.e. 1 or 2) break-ins.

How would it be perceived if the island was collecting a "crime tax" on tourists? What impression does that leave? That Bonaire is crime-ridden and needs more cops? It isn't, but that's how it would be seen. And that, friend, would drive off far more tourists than a few random petty thefts.

Your ideas do not work; and the crime is extremely rare. It doesn't warrant your over-reaction.

The best recommendation then and still now is to have people invest in a door wedge alarm, they cost about $15.00 they get wedge into the bottom of the door at night and if someone has a duplicate key to the room when they try to open the door they will alarm.
Ooorrr....You could employ the free door lock! :shocked2:
Or the free door chain!!:shocked2::shocked2:

It really isn't that hard to secure your door. And securing it is far better than dealing with a criminal...who will not be scared of your squeaky- toy. :D

Yes, please do the research. The airport PFC, a.k.a. "departure tax" funds airport operations ONLY.

Hot damn he is wrong again!

T.C. To clarify a few things. Finding a tire from a different place on the island is easier said then done, especially for the Chinese made POS we had. I am not going to waste half a vacation day (2-3 dives?) in seeking out another tire vendor who may or may not have this oddball size tire.

I have no idea why you think that I am basing my opinions off of one incident. That is not the case whatsoever. It has been an ongoing problem for years that rental houses were targets. A few hotels also had break in issues which seemed to both be inside jobs. I believe one of them is now out of business after a rash of break ins. So, no...not based on one incident at all. Not sure why you would think/assume that.

it would seem to me that the folks at BONHATA would be the place that should have the most concern or interest in trying to remedy this problem.

Apparently more than one person in the middle of it all is beginning to think the situation of the petty dive crime has been treated too lightly and now they are reaping what they've ignored:

Islands’ higher crime rate worries Opstelten

THE HAGUE–Worried about the increase in crime on Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba, Dutch Justice Minister of Safety and Justice Ivo Opstelten said on Monday that he will keep a keen eye on the situation on the islands. The minister admitted that the number of thefts, house break-ins and armed robberies have increased on the islands. The capacity at the Detective Department is a problem. It will take three years to find and train sufficient local people. Until that time, the Royal Dutch Marechaussee will fill in.

The minister refuted statements by members of the Kingdom Relations Committee that there was insufficient “blue on the street.” The Parliamentarians echoed concerns by residents on the islands that they only saw new cars, but no police officers.

The question is; how did we get to this point?

Some years ago, a trend started. Opportunists targeting dive trucks while tourists were in the water. Some sunglasses here, a camera there. This became so prolific that it became the talk of Internet forums & dive publications. They couldn't understand the advice given; 'Don't leave valuables in the vehicle, don't lock it & leave the windows down.' Where else in the world would that be applicable?

This was of course the unofficial advice given by rental companies after being told that such crime was too petty to pursue & that resources were not available.

The opportunists filled their boots.

As frustrated tourists heeded the advice & left nothing to steal, the opportunists became out & out thieves & turned their attentions to homes & hotels, more risky but more lucrative. The hotels increased security, locals put up bars & bought dogs. Over the years drugs became more prevalent, the next step in the lives of many criminals. Higher risks, bigger rewards. Recently we have seen muggings, shootings & stabbings, often the actions of the desperate & the addicted. Since 10/10/10, all crime has risen.

So what happened?

Would a clampdown of those minor crimes that nobody had time for have stopped the proliferation? Possibly. How about tighter border controls to stop small boats from bringing in drugs? Maybe. What about a better educational system so that youngsters would have a chance of well paid employment?

All of these things could have been done but the truth is that none of them were. You could blame the Police, the Government or the Dutch Government, it doesn't matter, we are where we are.

The $1m question is where do we go from here?

The links to the incidents above describe breaking in through windows and and other methods of forced entry. These guys aren't going through the front door. None of this would be preventable with wedge locks or by simply locking the front door with or without a chain. For the record, i have never seen a chain on any door on Bonaire. Most houses have sliding porch/patio doors too. If there is not a bar for the door, these are easily broken into.

I have no problem leaving the windows down in the truck. that is no big deal to me and I don't need anything at the dive sites aside from my gear and water.

However, I draw the line at bringing motion detectors. I don't feel like carrying a separate bag of motion detectors and security devices on my vacation. I also don't want to sleep in a room full of motion detectors. that is ridiculous.

I have a friend who lives on the island and he had his car stolen from his driveway. Quite unfortunate. The interesting thing about this theft is that the driveway is basically at a 45 degree angle downwards. This was not a push down the road and hotwire job. I find it pretty bold to just start up a guys car and take it right from the driveway while they were home.

The problem is that the thieves don't care about getting caught. There are no repercussions to the thefts. If they could find out who is fencing this crap it would be a start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom