Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad that the "Rental Truck Vandalized" thread is easily the most active on the Bonaire Forum this year. I've not visited for four years and would like to return, but am not particularly interested in worrying about my rental truck during my relaxing dive vacation. I had no brush with crime in my previous 3 vists, 2004, 2005, and 2008. There are plenty of excellent alternative Caribbean destinations where that would not be a concern.

Because that's what I expect everywhere in the unfortunately uncivilized world we live in. Cars are broken into routinely right here at home in Atlanta, even in people's driveways. Everyone I know knows someone whose house was burglarized. It is unfortunate, and I do what I can to prevent it. I realize I live in a dangerous city and have become desensitized to it--hence my comment about Bonaire crime not deterring ME from visiting, and that you may feel differently out there in Coloradoland.

Personally, I would not describe the world I live in as uncivilized, but perhaps we have different definitions of the word. I am not sure about Atlanta, but I know I wouldn't use the word "routinely" to describe car break-ins in Rochester, MN. Sure, it happens, but I am very surprised by it when it does happen which I think is far from "expecting" it, and even further from it being "routine".

I realize you are trying to make a point, but wouldn't you agree that you are exaggerating a bit?

In the same sense, I wouldn't describe Bonaire as being uncivilized, and wouldn't describe the crime as "routine", but my current understanding is that it occurs more often than at home. This is just my perception of the issue, and it may change, but it is what it is.

I really wish I could see things from your perspective, but I just don't. I travel all over the world, and whether I am home in Atlanta or in some far-flung place diving or doing some other type of tourism, I expect to have to take steps to protect my stuff and my person against crime, including the type of crimes recently reported in Bonaire. Hotel rooms are targets all over the world--everyone knows that, and smart people do not leave valuables in their hotel rooms or vehicles. Rental houses are even bigger targets.

Because that's what I expect everywhere in the unfortunately uncivilized world we live in. Cars are broken into routinely right here at home in Atlanta, even in people's driveways. Everyone I know knows someone whose house was burglarized. It is unfortunate, and I do what I can to prevent it. I realize I live in a dangerous city and have become desensitized to it--hence my comment about Bonaire crime not deterring ME from visiting, and that you may feel differently out there in Coloradoland.

So at home you follow the same procedures that you do in Bonaire. You never lock your car with the windows rolled up. Got it. I don't believe it, but if you say so.

And smart people never leave anything of value in their hotel rooms. Okey-dokey. Call me a dumb son-of-a-b, along with the millions of other travelers who leave things of value in their rooms.

You're funny. You're fibbing, but you're funny.

Last edited:
If Bonarire would like to continue to be the Shore Diving Capital of the World, it will do something to control the crime many of us find unacceptable on our hard earned diving vacations. If they don't care, we can vote with our travel plans.

Last edited:
well, I've got nothing better to do right now, I've read all the post, and since I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut....

There is a big difference between expecting something and knowing there is a possibility of that something.
I know there is a possibility of my car being broke into no matter where I park it. I don't ever expect it, else I wouldn't park there. I also understand that the probability of a break-in various with location and time; If that probability starts to creep up to 100%, then I don't park there.

I've never been anywhere where I expected to get my car broken-in. This very expectation gives me pause for visiting Bonaire, even though I really want to someday. Even if the problem is not so bad, the perception of it is still a big problem.

Johannesburg/Pretoria, South Africa (and surrounding area) has a crime problem as well. If you leave anything visible in your car, there is a high probability it will get stolen. Keep it locked and hide items in the trunk. What you also have to do is "bribe" the kids in the parking lot to keep your car from getting broken-into. If there ever comes a time when you have to pay a kid a "security fee" in a Bonaire parking lot, I will never go. Even though the probability of a break-in in Pretoria was much higher than at home, I was still never expecting a break-in (nor did I have one).

Personally, I would not describe the world I live in as uncivilized, but perhaps we have different definitions of the word. I am not sure about Atlanta, but I know I wouldn't use the word "routinely" to describe car break-ins in Rochester, MN. Sure, it happens, but I am very surprised by it when it does happen which I think is far from "expecting" it, and even further from it being "routine".

I realize you are trying to make a point, but wouldn't you agree that you are exaggerating a bit?

In the same sense, I wouldn't describe Bonaire as being uncivilized, and wouldn't describe the crime as "routine", but my current understanding is that it occurs more often than at home. This is just my perception of the issue, and it may change, but it is what it is.

Atlanta is definitely not Rochester, MN. But then again, I experienced a lot of crime when I lived in San Diego, too. Several friends had their cars broken into over the years. My roommate's car was broken into the driveway of our house, in a supposedly nice neighborhood. People often did not lock their car doors for the very reason it's not recommended in Bonaire. They installed removable car stereos and took those with them, too. So far, from what I've read on those Bonaire police blotter reports, the crime in Bonaire is not anything I haven't lived with before. Granted, Bonaire is small and sparsely populated, and so maybe the crime level is out of whack with the population--I don't know. It just doesn't impress me as being horrific yet.

This is your problem. You expect perfection; and when you don't get perfection, you throw a fit. Bonaire is not some crime ridden ghetto, and it is far better than Jamacia, Mexico, Thailand, Roatan, Eygpt or dozens of other destinations around the world. It is better than most islands in the Caribbean. But this isn't good enough for you; you expect there to be zero crime, and that you can ignore common sense, and leave your gold bars on the front seat of your car while diving.

Well, until you can fix the problem of people being people, this won't happen. Till then, you can be angry and upset, insulting and swearing at everyone, but the rest of us will accept that crime may happen, and take common sense means to prevent it.

And I guarantee we'll have a better vacation than you.

No, this is not better than Grand Caymam, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Providenciales Turks and Caicos, Cozumel or Curacao. Accept thuggish behavior if you want, I'm not interested. Bonaire can earn back my loyalty with their behavior.

Disappointing that this thread has degenterating into us vs. them, believe me, I'd like to be one of them.

So at home you follow the same procedures that you do in Bonaire. You never lock your car with the windows rolled up. Got it. I don't believe it, but if you say so.

Windows rolled up, yes, as it rains here, as what I drive has nicer upholstery than a Bonaire truck. I generally park in secure parking lots, but I do know others who leave their cars unlocked on the street.

And smart people never leave anything of value in their hotel rooms. Okey-dokey. Call me a dumb son-of-a-b, along with the millions of other travelers who leave things of value in their rooms.

I don't call people names, so I will decline the offer. But you and "millions of other travelers" who leave things of value in hotel rooms often become the victims of theft. You have been dodging the bullet.

No, this is not better than Grand Caymam, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Providenciales Turks and Caicos, Cozumel or Curacao. Accept thuggish behavior if you want, I'm not interested. Bonaire can earn back my loyalty with their behavior.

One, Cozumel has a average crime rate. Second, there are many controlled resorts there. Curacao has been reported to have a higher crime rate, and more violent crime, due to the drug trade moving through there. The Caymans and Turks and Caicos? So...what, two destination?

No one "accepts" crime. This is a logical fallacy that you've subscribed to. We just don't live in fear of crime and take common sense measures to limit our risk.

Disappointing that this thread has degenterating into us vs. them, believe me, I'd like to be one of them.
You can. Just lose the naivity and paranoia that infests another poster.

You can always try hurling insulting PMs at me again.

Probably because of where I grew up, and my dad was a Detroit cop, I don't necessarily trust anyone anywhere I go. Yes I profile people and places, always. Yet on Bonaire, we pick up hitch-hikers. I'd certainly never do that anywhere else.

Anyway, no one has any reason to listen to what I say or use me as a barometer, but if I feel that safe on Bonaire it's probably fairly safe overall. I just feel bad that people get turned off to Bonaire because of these discussions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom