Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some personal attacks and follow-up posts have been deleted. Please play the ball.

The discussion seems to be heading off away from Bonaire and into the realm of criminology in general. What causes crime? What can be done to prevent it? Sounds like a discussion for The Pub.

The discussion seems to be heading off away from Bonaire and into the realm of criminology in general. What causes crime? What can be done to prevent it? Sounds like a discussion for The Pub.

What can be done to prevent it, is the question that this issue always revolves around whenever it comes up, and the main part of the frustration of Bonaire letting this go on for so long.

The problem can most definitely be solved.. It just takes a full commitment to a program that will work.

I'm thinking that a couple of guys with the proper equipment, and maybe a little retrofitting to the slave huts would be good start for a low budget solution.

Bonaire sniper team.jpg

Bonaire slave huts.jpg

Sure... there might be a few PR issues to overcome at first, but eventually the word would get out that crime doesn't pay.

If we added up the value of all the petty theft items taken, wonder what it'd be over a year?

If we added up the cost of effectively policing the sizable number of west coast dive sites, or even most of them, wonder what that would cost over a year? And beyond that, the cost of maintaining more people in prison?

Now consider that most people avoid leaving items of substantial personal value in the truck to be stolen.

Wonder whether the desired interventions would do more hard than good?

Richard.

The problem can most definitely be solved.. It just takes a full commitment to a program that will work.

I'm thinking that a couple of guys with the proper equipment, and maybe a little retrofitting to the slave huts would be good start for a low budget solution. Sure... there might be a few PR issues to overcome at first, but eventually the word would get out that crime doesn't pay.
Low Budget? You don't know how much it costs to train and outfit a marksman, do you?:D Second, this is still ineffective. The locals would know where this guy is, and avoid the area that he can see. Simple solution.

And if you don't think locals can bust even the best sniper, I know many people who would like to correct this misconception.:cool2: (not me, by the way)

What can be done to prevent it, is the question that this issue always revolves around whenever it comes up, and the main part of the frustration of Bonaire letting this go on for so long.
What can Bonaire do? Patrolling would be ineffective because of the terrain. ONE road by most of the dive sites means that a kid with a phone can alert a thief when the patrol(s) are coming.

Stationing cops hiding in the weeds would not work, because the locals would see them go in, and know to avoid the site. To be effective, the cops would have to go in under cover of dark, from far away, and move cross contry to their "hide" I've done this many a night, and it's not fun or easy. Few cops will have the patience to hide in the weeds, not moving and well camoflaged, just on the off chance that a thief might pick that site.

Stationing a cop at every beach would certainly stop petty theft. But what are the second and third order effects of that? How much would that cost? Every guard needs relief, they need food, water, breaks, and most need a vehicle. What impression does that leave of Bonaire in the minds of visitors who see a guard everywhere they dive? What about the liability of having a guy there; is he responsible for lifeguard-like duties? What about pushing the petty criminals down to harder crime like mugging and burglary, because their income from careless divers who had to have that expensive camera along is now gone?

So, you complain that "Bonaire lets it happen", well; what can they do??? It's easy to complain; but harder to think of solutions. You seem to just want to complain.

All the ideas out there will cost dramatically more money. So how do you overcome that? Raise taxes on the locals? Then they need more money, they ask for raises, businesses need more, and eventually the tourists pay more...and some will turn to petty theft to make ends meet. If you tax the businesses more, then it's just a quicker path to the tourists paying more.

And if you charge them a tax, Bonaire quickly acquires a reputation as the place with a "crime tax". and as drrich pointed out, the desired interventions would do more harm than good.

The solution is to make sure people know that crime can happen, and to inform them of the common sense ways to avoid being a victim of petty theft. Don't take stuff diving that you will not dive with! Encourage people to upgrade their home's security with good locks, locking porch doors, and locking windows, or windows that are difficult to enter. Don't leave your valuables where they can be seen when you're not around. Don't show off your new Ipad and Iphone at the bar. Try to blend in, instead of sticking out like a clueless tourist. And be aware of your surroundings; don't park in a dark alley, don't hide your dive truck behind bushes, and don't set a pattern. Lock your doors whenever you leave, even for a few minutes.

Easy, common sense measures will protect you from crime. You don't have to expect to be a victim, but expecting paradise, and the humans who live there, to be crime-free just sets you up to be a victim and to be bitter and angry if it does happen.

Low Budget? You don't know how much it costs to train and outfit a marksman, do you?:D .

Never gave it much thought. I always figured that folks like yourself all chipped in their fair share around every April 15th. Thanks for your support!

Second, this is still ineffective. The locals would know where this guy is, and avoid the area that he can see. Simple solution. And if you don't think locals can bust even the best sniper, I know many people who would like to correct this misconception.:cool2: (not me, by the way). What can Bonaire do? Patrolling would be ineffective because of the terrain. ONE road by most of the dive sites means that a kid with a phone can alert a thief when the patrol(s) are coming. Stationing cops hiding in the weeds would not work, because the locals would see them go in, and know to avoid the site. To be effective, the cops would have to go in under cover of dark, from far away, and move cross contry to their "hide" I've done this many a night, and it's not fun or easy. .

Ok....all excellent points. You've completely convinced me that we should not snipe gear shifter knob thieves.... or lock them in the slave huts. What in the world was I thinking.

PS.... Sorry to hear that it's not fun or easy for you to hide in the weeds at night. Maybe bring a 12 pack next time.

Never gave it much thought. I always figured that folks like yourself all chipped in their fair share around every April 15th. Thanks for your support!

As do you.

Ok....all excellent points. You've completely convinced me that we should not snipe gear shifter knob thieves.... or lock them in the slave huts. What in the world was I thinking.

I know that you were kidding.

PS.... Sorry to hear that it's not fun or easy for you to hide in the weeds at night. Maybe bring a 12 pack next time.
That has negative effects on the reason why I spent hours walking and crawling for miles. Plus, you really don't want guys with rifles, machine guns, recoilless rifles and mines getting inebriated. That, and I have enough crap to carry. 70 pounds of armor, ammo, water, food, batteries, radio, weapons and other assorted stuff is sort of heavy, you know?

Oh, and the booze is illegal, too. :D

Back
Top Bottom