Rental car accident questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter (22 yrs old) is on Curacao now and got rear-ended in her rental car. Any idea how insurance and rental car accidents work there? She's supposed to meet with the rental car agency tomorrow, and I'm afraid they might push for her to pay, despite it not being her fault.

if she took their insurance when she rented it, it should all be taken care of. if not, they will most likely keep any deposit she paid, then require payment from her for any amount above that.
hopefully she either has insurance through her credit card or a rider on her personal policy at home that will reimburse her.
let us know how it plays out.

My daughter (22 yrs old) is on Curacao now and got rear-ended in her rental car. Any idea how insurance and rental car accidents work there? She's supposed to meet with the rental car agency tomorrow, and I'm afraid they might push for her to pay, despite it not being her fault.
Hey Doc, When she was hit she should have waited at the scene and Curacao Road Services should have turned up to deal with all the paperwork. There are so many different rental companies on the island they typically all have different procedures depending on what insurance is being carried so it is difficult to say what they will do.

So, the lady rear-ended her, and wouldn't give insurance or driver's license info and said "we don't do that here the same as you do in the states". My daughter has her cell phone number (real or not?) and a picture of her license plate. My daughter didn't have cell service there, so called CRS later. They are trying to investigate the accident, but says they need the other party to re-create the accident. I hope that CRS will find the other party, or I'm assuming my daughter will be liable for damages. It's just a crack in the plastic rear bumper, but who knows how much they might charge for that.

Being 22 yrs old, she wasn't smart enough to not let the lady leave the scene and she probably got bullied a little by the local lady. Not totally sure, but that seems plausible.

The rental car manager was pretty cool and said.... it's $750 worst case. Go enjoy the island, we'll sort this out later after CRS has finished up.

750 isn’t bad. My guess is that she’ll end up having to pay that. Hopefully her credit card has insurance coverage that will pay for it.

I think it would be difficult for any of us to be able to keep someone, especially a local, at the scene who doesn’t want to stay.

This somewhat reminds of when I got hit in Hawaii in my early years. Although the police came out the lady could not provide an insurance card. My auto insurance later determined that she had no insurance. Luckily I only had to pay my deductible since we were in the states. I now take out full coverage when I travel to other countries.

Curacao accidents require you to keep the vehicles as the incident took place until the investigation team shows up...

Gets interesting as to how it will block traffic while waiting...

The local lady probably didn't have insurance otherwise she would have waited. It's common practice here unless you're on the road illegally which is quite common. I'm sorry she has experienced this here on vacation. I hope it hasn't ruined her diving!

Have her check with her credit card company to see what rental car insurance is provided by the bank/credit card. Some credit cards cover rental car insurance if you used the credit card to rent the car. I have USAA insurance and credit card, and as long as I use the card to rent the car, they will cover the insurance claim above my usual deductible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom