Removed thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I did not take the identification of the nationality of the divers as a racist thing. Rather, it was just a pertinent parameter of the discussion. Sort of like all divers from Texas a are air-hogs.

Kim:
I am not here to have an argument about cultural differences or shades of definition about what constitutes racism or not. The simple fact is there are rules on SB that will be followed. We are now having an internal discussion as to whether in this case that is happening or not.

I will inform you what is decided.

@ howard: Then you are highjacking.

All three of you are at an impasse on your opinions. What else will you post that will add to the discussion other than hostility?

This whole thread is about a deleted thread which was deleted because it was racist...

People in this thread were not truly understanding the definition of racism, and/or using more racist comments to further their position.

Again... What's your beef here? Is it because it's in "your" forum. That's just silly.

If you don't like what's being discussed... Don't read it... Just like if you don't like what's on the TV you don't watch it.

Nobody forced you to click on the thread.

It occurs to me that it's not racism if you're saying divers trained in Korea are usually bad, but it's racism if you say that divers whose ethnicity is Korean, no matter where they are from are usually bad divers.

Personally I'm fine with the first. It implies that there are simply bad instructors or a bad system in Korea. The second, however, is racist because it implies a deficiency in the race itself.

howarde:
Again... What's your beef here? Is it because it's in "your" forum. That's just silly.

I agree, this isn't my forum and to think so is silly. My beef here is alienation and you obviously don't see it. I think Hank was trying to touch on it, but his wording was a little straight forward (aka brash).

howarde:
If you don't like what's being discussed... Don't read it... Just like if you don't like what's on the TV you don't watch it.

Nobody forced you to click on the thread.

That's a pretty lame argument. Of course people who contribute regularly to the PPD forum will click on this thread - regardless of what is being discussed or whether they want to read it or not.

I'll be honest with you and tell you that when people on my side of the world wake up, they'll be reading this and have the same sentiments as I do. All you're doing will create more hostility and fatigue on the issue.

In a perfect world, the way an international board is supposed to work is to step outside of your box and try to understand someone else's point of view. I think all of you have made your point. Try not to enter the realm of redundancy.

That's why I said let's listen to Kim and let's wait on a ruling. That was the original point of this thread.

NWGratefulDiver:
So what's the complaint?

Possibly ... but how would you know? More to the point, why do you think that matters?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I apologize Bob. When some one says, "you can make all the racist statements you want", I presume they're accusing me of having made them already. I misunderstood your statement.

As to the second part, I was pissed off. You're right, we agree to the TOS, as long as we adhere to the American standard that SB sets. That's cool. But it's not really and "international community" if you impose a set of Western politically correct rules on it. And "how do I know?" You just sound as American as they come. Maybe you lived in other countries. Lot's of people do. But they never accept the differences and always try to change the way people are there because "America is better". And spend a lot of time being angry because they won't change for you. And that's merely an observation, not an insult. I'm done. Hank

now i am able to read some here that are able to go past the hypersensitivity to the connotation of bigotry and racism.

the original thread and most of the reaction refering to a particular nationality is a statement of fact. Nothing else, however someon one wanted to go along the path of political correctness, that is fine, however political coretness is limited to a certain political geophysical area.

What we are pointing out is that it may be termed racist in America and Europe but in ASIA it may not be construed. Now some of you may insist that we are Generalizing, granted, the term was such, Wouldn't it be it be more intelligent to to have threshed our the intent , the intent was not to brand all members of that nationality as such but THAT PARTICULAR GROUP OF DIVERS (WHICH HAPPENED TO BE such nationality) , . i even indicated that i even witnessed Pinoys doing it, HOWEVER NO ONE EVER TOOK NOTICE of it EVEN if it was stated in the same paragraph as that of the Koreans. How come i was anot accused of being a racist or a bigot of pinoys? how come no one ever mentioned those bad pinoy divers i mentioned?

it brings tot he fore the DIFFERENCE OF CULTURES, that is what Hank has been pointing out and other guys that replied to this line of thought, they are helping some of the guys here SEE that the WORLD outside of America and allies of america , that branding such a group does not encompass racism, it is acceptable norm in ASIA.

perhaps some American of korean ancestral origin has commented some offense, then that is the culture of america, where some guys go scuba diving, and becasue he was a poor diver something happened to him so he GOES SUING people that they did not tell me so so.... in asia, this would not end up in a court, it would be taken with SELF RESPONSIBILITY.

in america it is now prohibited in some schools to pray or mention "GOD" because someone was offended and they did not beleive in a GOD. now i have to say in Singapore you have different religions living in harmony and mentioning such things termed in america as bigotry or racism would be viewed there as tolerance to cultural differences.

A DIFFERENCE IN CULTURE. perhaps as well as others say, it is the generalising, again this is about culture. In asia when a story is stated it DOES NOT GENERALIZE the entire RACE, it is limited to the STORY.

PEOPLE THIS IS A LEARNING OF CULTURAL DIFFERENCE . if a story is told, that generalization is not generalization, it is Limited to the characters involved in the stroy it is not the entire race that is hammered, because when it is translated to the local tongue, then it becomes apparent that the story refers only to those involved in the story.

make no mistake, i love america, i visit america every so often, most of my family lives in america. but i can't do warm water diving everyweek in america as i do so weekely here in the philippines.

i hope some people see the Cultural difference. and to impose their own societies guilt to another region branding them as superior is RACIST !!!!

ban me if you want from the board

Hank49:
You just sound as American as they come. Maybe you lived in other countries. Lot's of people do. But they never accept the differences and always try to change the way people are there because "America is better". And spend a lot of time being angry because they won't change for you. And that's merely an observation, not an insult. I'm done. Hank
Really? I think you're observations are both incorrect and irrelevent.

This isn't about me. It isn't about what the Pinoys believe, or their cultural differences. It's about abiding by the rules established for posting on this board. Nothing else.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Really? I think you're observations are both incorrect and irrelevent.

You may want to add..ironic

Headache . . .

Since we already mentioned that there are bad divers and instructors from that certain dive resort/shop, hope we just take action on it. If there would be a PADI representative in the country, hopefully they do their job checking the quality of training done in these private resorts.

Don't mention race again for goodness sake. :)

Back
Top Bottom