Removed thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely this has less to do with the divers than with the dive schools which are Korean-owned and operated.

If the school were Australian owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were British owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were American owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were Pinoy owned and operated I would have said so.

The school is Korean owned and operated and I have said so..

This is how most people distinguish similar things, by picking out characteristics that differentiate them. Simple really.

If we can bring attention to the fact that some establishments are not conforming to a level of acceptability developed over years, and maybe encourage them to improve their standards then we have done some good.

If this means that a couple of people are upset because I and others mentioned the ethnicity of the people who run these establishments then I believe they are being excessively sensitive. I also believe most people would agree with me.

If I pissed you off because I exaggerated or lied, or defamed you unfairly in any way then you have every right to be aggrieved and offended.

So far I have not exaggerated, lied or unfairly defamed anyone, Korean. American or Eskimo. Who's being unreasonable?

hey guys, the thread is already being deliberated upon...don't you think everything is academic now?

just to clarify some points...we did not generalize, as paolov mentioned, the posts referred to a certain group of divers who just happened to be of the said nationality

can't we just get back to being 1 happy diving community? :D let the powers that be do the deliberations hehehe

Kim:
Guys....can we try not to make this an Us vs Them kind of deal? All that will do is harden attitudes on both sides with possible disastrous consequences.
FWIW I have travelled extensively almost all my life - I'm originally from a military family and have been at it since I was born. I haven't lived in my home country since 1978. I have 'immersed myself' in many different cultures. I would think it's fair to say that all of them have their good points and bad points. In the end our modern world requires that we find ways to bridge those gaps - not accentuate them.
Good words Kim, hat's off to you...

thepurplehammerhead:
Surely this has less to do with the divers than with the dive schools which are Korean-owned and operated.

If the school were Australian owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were British owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were American owned and operated I would have said so.

If the schools were Pinoy owned and operated I would have said so.

The school is Korean owned and operated and I have said so..

This is how most people distinguish similar things, by picking out characteristics that differentiate them. Simple really.

If we can bring attention to the fact that some establishments are not conforming to a level of acceptability developed over years, and maybe encourage them to improve their standards then we have done some good.

If this means that a couple of people are upset because I and others mentioned the ethnicity of the people who run these establishments then I believe they are being excessively sensitive. I also believe most people would agree with me.

If I pissed you off because I exaggerated or lied, or defamed you unfairly in any way then you have every right to be aggrieved and offended.

So far I have not exaggerated, lied or unfairly defamed anyone, Korean. American or Eskimo. Who's being unreasonable?
Larry, you read my mind and beat me to it...But you articulated it better.

On the issue, I'm wondering what's keeping them though.

It has been decided that the thread in question will remain deleted. It does not really stay enough on topic of the original complaint to leave much worth salvaging after removing the off topic comments and the argument about racism itself.

However: It has also been decided that you may make a new thread specifically about the actions of certain divers, the dive schools involved and the possible courses of action that you might be able to employ to remedy the situation under the following conditions.
The discussion will remain entirely within the TOS - in particular:
TOS:
While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects, there are certain areas which elicit more animosity and subsequently far more flames. Consequently we ask that discussions involving politics and nationalities or anything of a sexual nature be reserved for other message boards that are better venues for these topics.
There will be NO generalizations in this area. If there are the thread will be permanently removed and the offender/s will risk a highly probable 5 day ban.
The discussion will be exclusive to divers behavior underwater and therefore will not make reference to other activities 'topside' which are not directly related.
The thread will stay on topic so comments about the rules of SB etc, or other things not pertaining to the discussion will be immediately removed without warning or discussion.

This is a serious problem for the diving community in the Philippines and we recognise it as such. As such it deserves a serious discussion free of flippancy or other distracting things. If anyone is unclear of any part of the above conditions please PM me for clarification - before you post!

Kim

I'm not sure that the quoted TOS does not prohibit the use of the word Philippines as it does "involve" a nationality. Or am I missunderstanding what is written?

Kim, is it possible to send me my posts of the "hey guys check this out..." thread?

I made some posisble solutions which I wanted some international and local comment on.

Edit: how rude of me: thanks for any help you can give!

chip104:
Kim, is it possible to send me my posts of the "hey guys check this out..." thread?

I made some posisble solutions which I wanted some international and local comment on.

Edit: how rude of me: thanks for any help you can give!

humirit ka pa Chip. type it again

Back
Top Bottom