Reliable Dry Box?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave my electronic key in the car and lock the vehicle using a manual key that I had made specifically for shore diving that unfortunately don't do very often locally.

I leave my electronic key in the car and lock the vehicle using a manual key that I had made specifically for shore diving that unfortunately don't do very often locally.
I won't get into the old threads on this, but assume your special key method solves any problems with the car alarm.

I love the ideas that match so well with using a vacation rental car....

FWIW - If you figure out a key solution, I then just figure a really good place to hide the phone in the vehicle...

A GoPro housing might work... A dive flashlight body might work...

Good luck.

One of the toughest things I have had to deal with regarding rental cars is when the keys are on a permanent cable (crimped connection) with both keys and fobs on it. Very bulky...

My wife and I are doing initial long range planning for a Curacao dive/snorkel trip when it is safe to travel again. We will be doing a combination of shore/boat diving and snorkeling, and are looking for a reliable dry box for carrying a new IPhone and electronic car key when doing shore dive/snorkeling in locations where it would not be safe or wise to leave valuable items in the car. Ideally I would like to find a box/canister capable of reliably keeping my new IPhone safe to 120', preferably one that could fit in my DiveRite bellows pocket (8 x 6 x 2 inches) which I have on my bp/w waist strap. I have a couple of Otterbox 2000s, supposedly good to 100', but are about 8 years old, barely used, but I don't know if I can trust them with the crazy expensive new smart phones. Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Back to the OP questions.

If you really have your heart set on bringing your phone with you to 120ft then check out the Divevolk case. DIVEVOLK Seatouch 3 Pro diving case, waterproof phone case, smartphone housing, compatiable to iPhone/ Samsung/ Hua Wei Rated to 80m (262ft) very nice underwater phone case and still maintains the touchscreen features.

upload_2021-2-11_13-42-2.png

I won't get into the old threads on this, but assume your special key method solves any problems with the car alarm.

You know I never thought of that and I've never had an issue.

There is a manual key in the key fob itself but it cannot be removed, but in the car my daughter drives the manual key can be removed. Both vehicles are Land Rovers.

You know I never thought of that and I've never had an issue.

There is a manual key in the key fob itself but it cannot be removed, but in the car my daughter drives the manual key can be removed. Both vehicles are Land Rovers.
I figure you have to have some device-- key or whatever-- outside the car to turn off the alarm before you stick a key in the door (IF you can in fact do that with a new car you may have today....).
So after your dive, how does your alarm not go off if you're entering the car with a non-chip key?

how does your alarm not go off if you're entering the car with a non-chip key?

No idea to be honest.

I leave my electronic key inside the car and lock it with what is basically a standard key in a hidden lock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom