Reliable Dry Box?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No idea to be honest.

I leave my electronic key inside the car and lock it with what is basically a standard key in a hidden lock.
Do you know if your alarm is even on when you lock it with the standard key?

Do you know if your alarm is even on when you lock it with the standard key?
Yes, it's gone off when my daughter tried to open the car once when it was locked

Yes, it's gone off when my daughter tried to open the car once when it was locked
Still not clear-- How do you prevent this when diving?

You can buy a housing for the camera (buy one you trust). Another option would be to buy a cheap phone compatible with your service and leave the expensive phone at home or in the hotel safe and put the chip in the crappy phone. If it gets wet or stolen you are losing a lot less. I never use my phone on vacation anyway because of the extra cost for service.

The key I would just double bag with ziplocks and put it in my BCD. Thieves in tourist areas are much better at stealing than you will be at hiding the key.

You can buy a housing for the camera (buy one you trust). Another option would be to buy a cheap phone compatible with your service and leave the expensive phone at home or in the hotel safe and put the chip in the crappy phone. If it gets wet or stolen you are losing a lot less. I never use my phone on vacation anyway because of the extra cost for service.

The key I would just double bag with ziplocks and put it in my BCD. Thieves in tourist areas are much better at stealing than you will be at hiding the key.
You'd really trust 2 ziplock bags underwater with a 2-$300 chip key? I'm biased after having lost 2 of those *&^%ing things (not scuba related).
Not related (but funny), but I once lost my knife diving at Rocky Neck State Park near New London. My instructor buddy at the shop in NY said "It's probably in somebody's chest". Stupid me, I first thought he meant ice chest.

You'd really trust 2 ziplock bags underwater with a 2-$300 chip key? I'm biased after having lost 2 of those *&^%ing things (not scuba related).
Not related (but funny), but I once lost my knife diving at Rocky Neck State Park near New London. My instructor buddy at the shop in NY said "It's probably in somebody's chest". Stupid me, I first thought he meant ice chest.
Losing the key is different from it getting wet. My guess is the key with the chip is probably pretty well sealed inside. The fob is going to be more delicate. For your personal car, you can get anon ignition key that lacks the chip, but will open the door. A box will have to withstand pressure and need to be much more structurally resilient at a depth of 120’. A dry bag will simply collapse around the key. A camera case, sans camera is probably not as structurally reliable as one might hope.

Simplicity is probably the best solution. Use three bags if you want to make extra sure. I have kept spare keys in a magnetic box. The problem is reaching under the frame to hide it visible to others and they can drive off with all your stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom