Reliable Dry Box?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are doing initial long range planning for a Curacao dive/snorkel trip when it is safe to travel again. We will be doing a combination of shore/boat diving and snorkeling, and are looking for a reliable dry box for carrying a new IPhone and electronic car key when doing shore dive/snorkeling in locations where it would not be safe or wise to leave valuable items in the car. Ideally I would like to find a box/canister capable of reliably keeping my new IPhone safe to 120', preferably one that could fit in my DiveRite bellows pocket (8 x 6 x 2 inches) which I have on my bp/w waist strap. I have a couple of Otterbox 2000s, supposedly good to 100', but are about 8 years old, barely used, but I don't know if I can trust them with the crazy expensive new smart phones. Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you might be better off trying one of the new camera housings meant for iPhones. I don’t know if any dry boxes will go that deep. Wonder if you could fit the key in the phone camera housing.

Use an old 10ah light canister with a plug in the wire hole (and just leave the switch) or get light monkey to make you a legit canister. Dry Canister for PLB (lightmonkey.us)
Do it right and save yourself killing your $800 phones.

Every "waterproof" pelican like dry box will eventually leak, including the otterboxes.

There are quite a few old threads with every possible solution on what to do with chip keys. Personally, I wouldn't take anything electronic underwater, ever, but that's just me.
I agree with phone in hotel room safe.
For the key, I guess one of those metal boxes you stick under the car (by wheel?) when no one is looking. Or put it in a ziplock bag and bury it, or under a rock (again when no one is looking). I don't think there is any 100% safe solution. Damn those chip keys-- I like the alarm but not the problem they cause for divers.

For the phone, I would suggest the safe in your hotel room.

If I did not need to have the phone with me except when under water, that would be the logical and best choice. However, since we will be diving/snorkeling all over the island, and will be away from the hotel for the better part of the days, leaving my phone in the room safe is not going to be an option.

If I did not need to have the phone with me except when under water, that would be the logical and best choice. However, since we will be diving/snorkeling all over the island, and will be away from the hotel for the better part of the days, leaving my phone in the room safe is not going to be an option.
Understandable. Also a concern one didn't have say, 1995 or before....Just imagine doing a 50 day trip around the country with only land lines.

I just didn't get enough calls stating the house is full of girls the bar is stocked and by the way I've got that money I owe you come over, so I got rid of the phone and drive older cars

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom