Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Know nothing about Apeks.....

Apeks DST-4 port swivel turret, upgradeable to 5 ports
s-l640.jpg

Apeks DS4
4 lp ports, 1 hp port, fixed body
ds4.jpg

Scubapro MK25
5 port swivel turret, offset tank inlet
mk25evo-din__69718.1461176662.jpg

I'm in Ontario Canada so cold water except when in the St Lawrence.

So on my OC rig up here I use and have for 15 years is Apeks FST 1st stages, never had an issue and am lets say pretty lax re servicing (if it isn't broke dont fix it), these have angled ports and route nice can send you some pics if you wish.

CCR once again in cold water I run 2 SP MK17's and 1 Halcyon H75, the H75 has the 5th port so kind of nice once again a bit lax with these but not so much as with the OC regs.

Cave gear which is stored in MX, I run MK20's and MK25's, warm water but a combo of salt/freshwater, this gear is abused like hell while I'm there, have never had an issue with any of them, when I ready to come back home they get rinsed and chucked in a bin with the rest of the gear I store down there.

Most of my stage/deco regs up here are H-75's or MK 20/25s

The Apeks FST's are tough to get In North America but I may know were you could find a couple, they have the same internals as all the other Apeks regs ;-) pm me.

Re halcyon regs they are made by Scuba Pro, H50's (diaphram version of the MK 17) can be had in Canada for $305 Can, H75's (piston version of the Mk 20) for $357 Can, free shipping and no tax if you are in Canada. If that sounds interesting PM me not sure I can post links here.

Btm line is you dont really need a 5th port, nice but not required.

I have a DS4 right now but concerned about the routing.

Why? It needs to be safe, not beautiful.
This is a genuine question, not a critique.

Why? It needs to be safe, not beautiful.
This is a genuine question, not a critique.
lack of a port on the bottom means that the secondary second stage and the wing inflator are bent at 90* with a pretty tight radius against the crown of the tank which causes extra stress on the hoses.
Extra benefit of the swivel is that when you go into a single file air share, the primary second stage hose is much less likely to get kinked which is quite easy on a non-swivel regulator.

lack of a port on the bottom means that the secondary second stage and the wing inflator are bent at 90* with a pretty tight radius against the crown of the tank which causes extra stress on the hoses.
Extra benefit of the swivel is that when you go into a single file air share, the primary second stage hose is much less likely to get kinked which is quite easy on a non-swivel regulator.

Thanks! I've never used a backmounted double set so this was interesting new information :D

Thanks! I've never used a backmounted double set so this was interesting new information :D

with Apeks DS4. Note the inflator hose that is bent across. The hose in front with the "Halcyon" hose protector would also be bent over the same way as that is the secondary second stage/octopus hose.
hosekit_doubles_apeks.jpg

With Scubapro MK25's, but applicable to anything with bottom ports
220490.jpg

not everyone follows/believes in the "cross-over"......

Back
Top Bottom