Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I too enjoy my Poseidon (XStream) regs... the OP was attempting to do this economically.

Hello rhwestfall, thank you.

A couple of the alternatives being suggested, HOG, Deep Six, I have no familiarity with either of these brands, this is the first time I've heard these brand names mentioned.

I've never considered my Poseidon regs expensive, seems to me to be in line with other similar brands.

Rose.

@Rose Robinson - HOG and Deep6 came into the market with a whole different business model, and that resulted in a fairly significant savings. Things have evolved, and HOG is not a economical as they used to be, but still below the "mainstream legend brands".

I'm curious, why are the HOG D1 first stages (as opposed to the D3) not as suitable for sidemount?

Am I the only curious about whats up with 600 CAD for a DST first stage, and an additional 150-200 for installing a 5th port...?
I bought my 5th port kit for the equivalent of 40 CAD, and installing it was super easy.
Do they really charge that much over there?

I'm curious, why are the HOG D1 first stages (as opposed to the D3) not as suitable for sidemount?

Fixed hose (no turret), or so I believe folks have said...

both are swivel turrets.
The D1 is centered valve outlet like the Apeks DST
The D3 is offset like a Scubapro MK25

I'm not entirely sure one is more or less suitable for twinset diving, but the MK25 style with the offset may close off the center section where your head goes, but I haven't had an issue with it

I guess an edit to my question. What qualities make a good sidemount regulator? Is it just a swivel turret for nice hose routing? A convertible second stage to be left handed? Other?

@tbone1004 - yep, senior moment - it is a swivel... :banghead:

Is it the D2 that is fixed?

D1~=Apeks DST
D2~=Apeks DS4
D3~= sealed diaphragm version of Scubapro MK25

I guess an edit to my question. What qualities make a good sidemount regulator? Is it just a swivel turret for nice hose routing? A convertible second stage to be left handed? Other?
5 port swivel turret for optimum hose routing. The swivel turret is more important than the bottom port for sidemount IMO, but for twinsets the bottom port is more important than the swivel. Both are obviously ideal for flexibility.

Lefty second stages are not used by any of the predominant sidemount hose configurations. Poseidon allows you some flexibility since they are non directional, but a reversed "normal" second stage really doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom