Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smelly G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just finished the intro to tech course and besides a doubles wing I also need a second first stage.

I have a DS4 right now but concerned about the routing. I was considering purchasing one apek DST to put on the left post to improve routing but the price of one of those is north of $600 (in Canada). If I went this route I would also need to upgrade my DS4 to a DIN and would get the 5th port upgrade for the DST adding an extra $150 -$200 (Canadian) or so.
Another option I looked at were the Hog D3 first stage. These are about $350 each so I could get two of these first stages for the price of the DST with upgrade, but I did read there were some concerns of IP creep with Hog first stages. Has this been fixed?
I live in Alberta, Canada and dive cold water almost exclusively. For those diving twins could you provide some advice or other first stage to consider? As I'd rather get my purchase right this time and be happy with it. Thank you.

the @Deep Six Signature regulators would be a better purchase IMO as they have a lower total cost of ownership, but I think it's a no brainer to get a set of those instead of spending that amount of money on a DST and conversion.

+1

I would get 2 of these:

tbn:ANd9GcSqz0AME3YQi7R62HIV0QtXbtskPM2nYsMMJunfkCg8SzkMfK2ZF2Xnl7OyuWa_IMC2e-lLdehuc7s&usqp=CAc.png
HOG D1 X First Stage | Dive Right in Scuba
$179.95
Dive Right In Scuba
Free shipping, no tax

I have both HOG (D1-Classic / Zenith) and Deep6. Not a bad choice either way, and a much smarter plan than your other changes/purchases/upgrades...

I've been diving the original chrome D1s for 3+ years and they're not creeping. I just checked the IP a while ago, and, after shutting the valves but not purging, the whole system is still holding the IP.
This makes me happy...

Similar position to OP. Any thoughts on Zeagle Envoy II's for tech doubles? Cheap, simple, sealed, made in USA, but (unfortunately?) no swivel turret or 5th port.

Similar position to OP. Any thoughts on Zeagle Envoy II's for tech doubles? Cheap, simple, sealed, made in USA, but (unfortunately?) no swivel turret or 5th port.

I dove a pair of Zeagles followed by a pair of non-turret HOGS and they were fine. I thought I wouldn't like the DS1s I had bought a long time ago, but when it came time to service either the Zeagles or the HOGs I got lazy and tried the DS1s. I had been thinking that they would be too heavy and bulky. When I set them up, I was like oh, the hose routing is sweet. I don't notice the extra weight, and love the hose routing.

the @Deep Six Signature regulators would be a better purchase IMO as they have a lower total cost of ownership, but I think it's a no brainer to get a set of those instead of spending that amount of money on a DST and conversion.
I did consider those but I am in Canada so the cost to ship + custom fees are quite high and make it not nearly as affordable as other options. That's why I was consider HOG as they seem the economical choice but was concerned about claims of IP creep.

*Edit*

Also I have apeks second stages. Would it be worth it to match first and second stages for servicing reasonings? Or no real need to do that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom